Kids

little bits

Six year old Seungwan skips along the road on her way to her best friend Seulgi's house. She's wearing her favourite shirt and her favourite shorts and her favourite white cap. Her favourite bag sat secured on her back.

Seungwan is very excited. She and Seulgi are gonna play baseball today.

Or at least they were supposed to.

Seungwan arrives all giggly to Seulgi's house. She rings the bell once and patiently waits to be let in. It doesn't take long until the door is opened by her very own best friend.

"Wannie!"

"Seulbear!"

The two little six year olds tackle each other in a hug, only to end up tumbling on the floor.

"Good morning!" greets Seungwan.

"Good morning!" Seulgi greets back.

They have always played together on the weekends. On weekdays, Seungwan has after school tutoring and Seulgi goes to the activity center. That's why they treasure their weekends a lot.

"Are you ready to play, Seul?"

Seulgi seems to look a little reluctant. She purses her lips and pouts, breathing out loudly.

"About that... I have something to tell you."

"Oh."

Seungwan fails to hide the nervousness on her face. It's hard to contain her little heart, already thinking of all the bad possibilities. Little Seungwan bites her lip to stop it from quivering.

"Wannie!" Seulgi throws her arms over her best friend and hugs her. "It's not anything bad. I just wanted to tell you my cousin's here for christmas and my mom said we have to play with her too. Is that okay?"

Seungwan wipes the moisture from her eyes and nods.

"I thought you didn't want to play with me."

"Of course I do! We just have to play with Hyun unnie, too."

"Hyun unnie?"

Seulgi nods then shakes her head no. She thinks of the shy girl currently hanging out by herself in the living room.

"Her name's Joohyun unnie. She's eight and she likes to read books."

"I like books too!"

Seulgi gives her bestfriend a big smile. She knew she could count on Seungwan's love for reading.

"Uh-huh. that's why i think you'll get along. We can read books and color today."

"But i thought we were playing baseball?"

"Mom said i have to play with unnie, remember? Unnie doesn't like baseball very much."

Seungwan sighs. Seulgi holds out her hand and Seungwan doesn't hesitate to hold it. They swing their hands together as they walk to the living room where Seulgi's cousin is waiting.

"I guess we'll have to play baseball next time," Seungwan says out loud.

What Seungwan sees next sets in a series of feeling her little heart can't explain yet. There's an angel sitting in the middle of Seulgi's living room with a book on her lap. The pretiest angel Seungwan has ever seen.

Seulgi tugs her hand and pulls her along towards the pretty angel. She introduces her as her cousin, Joohyun unnie.

"Pretty angel," Seungwan says instead of introducing herself.

Joohyun blinks in surprise at the little girl staring up at her in awe. She looks to Seulgi for clarity only to find her little cousin staring weirdly at her friend too.

"Wan?"

Seungwan widens her eyes as the fog in her mind clears from Seulgi's voice. She faces Joohyun and gives a very polite bow.

"Hello! I'm Son Seungwan, Seulgi's bestest friend. Nice to meet you, pretty angel unnie."

"Pretty... what?" asks Joohyun.

"She's a what?" asks Seulgi.

Seungwan puffs out her chest and declares, "A pretty angel unnie!"

Seulgi opens and then closes it. Seungwan isn't usually this confident around new people she meets. She wonders what's gotten into her bestfriend.

Joohyun, meanwhile, just laughs it off.

"You're a lot pretty when you laugh. What were you reading? Will you read with me?"

"Oh, uh, sure. If you want to."

Joohyun has a very soft voice, Seungwan thinks. She likes it. She's not sure why but there's something about Joohyun that makes her want to listen. Something that makes her feel all warm. She likes that, too.

"What about you, Seul. Do you want to read with me and Seungwan?"

Seulgi shrugs. "Sure, I guess."

Joohyun pats the spot next to her and Seungwan zooms to settle down close. Seulgi follows her but a lot more calmer than her hyped up friend.

"I'm reading Alice in Wonderland," Joohyun tells them as she shows the title from the cover.

"Ooh, I know about that. Seulgi and I watched that in a movie before, didn't we Seulbear? It was amazing!"

Seulgi nods but Seungwan doesn't seem to mind her less than enthusiastic response. She doesn't remember her best friend being this talkative with new people before. Something feels weird, she thinks. Seulgi's not sure if it's good or bad but it's definitely something.

"Do you still want to read with me even though you know the story?" Joohyun asks.

"Yes! I like the story very much and I want to listen to you tell it. I like your voice a lot. Will you read it, please?"

Joohyun reaches up to cup her face with her hand and feels it warming up. She doesn't know why she's reacting like this. Seungwan is only complimenting her and yet—

"Unnie?"

There's a soft hand carefully poking her arm only to retreat it as soon as Joohyun looks. It's a little cute.

"Yes Seungwan-ah?"

"Will you read it for us, please?"

Well of course Joohyun would not say no. She looks at Seulgi who gives her a thumbs up. Joohyun puts a bookmark on her page before carefully going back to the beginning.

They spend a long time finishing the story, skipping some parts and laughing at others. Sometimes, Seulgi would act out a part and Seungwan would play along. Joohyun makes up voices to read with as the two best friends goof around with made up lines.

Seulgi's mom brings them some snacks and doesn't stay long. The kids gather around the coffee table to get their grubs.

"Even though we didn't get to play baseball, I still had lots of fun today," says Seungwan.

"You were gonna play baseball?" asks Joohyun.

"Yeah but it's okay. You're here and you played with me and Seulgi. You're a very fun unnie."

Seulgi's mouth is full so she can only nod enthusiastically in agreement. Seungwan gets chocolate milk on her face. Joohyun giggles and wipes it off with her thumb.

"You guys could have just played baseball, you know."

Seungwan shakes her head. "If we did then we wouldn't get to play with you."

"Yeah, you don't like baseball very much."

Joohyun opens to protest and then remembers. The last time she played baseball, she accidentally hit this guy from the other team with her bat when she swung a little too hard. It was a lot of blood and a lot of blurs.

"Yeah," Joohyun frowns.

"See, Wannie. Good thing we decided to play inside today. Baseball is a no no."

"A no no," Seungwan repeats. "Pretty angel Joohyun unnie hates baseball."

Joohyun's face cringes for a second.

"It's not that I hate baseball. I don't. I just get really competitive sometimes."

"Compelilitif?"

"What does that mean?"

"Competitive," Joohyun chuckles. "It's when people are... well, when people want to win so much that they sometimes lose control."

Seungwan raises her hand excitedly.

"Ooh, ooh! Me too! I do that sometimes!"

"Yeah. Sometimes when Wannie does a quiz on a school contest, she yells."

Seungwan huffs. "I have to talk loud so the judges can hear me and know I'm right."

"Wannie, you get mad when you lose," Seulgi adds.

"Oh yeah? You cry when you lose, Seulbear."

Seulgi crosses her arms and frowns. "I do not!"

"Yes you do!"

"No I don't!"

"Yeah, you do."

"Noooo," Seulgi whines and her eyes start to get shiny.

Seungwan stops her teasing and gives her best friend a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. Joohyun looks amusedly at the cute display.

"Sorry I teased you, Seulbear."

Seulgi huffs and buries herself deeper on her friend's hug. Seungwan kisses her on the head.

"Better?"

"Yeah," came Seulgi's muffled answer.

Seungwan lets go and they both go back to their places. Seulgi reaches for more snacks, already calming down.

"Do you guys always do this?"

"Do what?"

"You kissing Seulgi."

"I kiss my bestest friend to make her feel better." There's an unqusstionable seriousness in Seungwan's eyes as she regards Joohyun for a few seconds. "If you feel bad sometimes, you should tell me unnie. I can kiss you better, too."

A smile blooms on Joohyun's face as warmth spreads through her chest. She ruffles Seungwan's hair gently, the little girl breaking into a wide grin, her dimple appearing on her squishy cheek, as she tries to pry away Joohyun's hand.

"You're very adorable, Seungwan-ah."

"Hey! What about me?" Seulgi pouts.

"You're cute, too," Joohyun giggles.

Seungwan and Seulgi help Joohyun clear away the remains of their morning snacks and bring them to the kitchen for cleaning.

The two little best friends usually have lunch at each others' places on the weekends so their parents aren't really worried. Seungwan is staying until later so the three kids decide on what to do for the rest of the day.

"Want to watch a movie?" Seulgi asks them.

"Do you have a new one, Seulbear?"

"No. But we have that musical movie that you like very much. The one you always sing to."

Seungwan's whole body seem to come alive with the information, her face glowing in excitement. Joohyun watches on as Seulgi rummages through their dvd collection and Seungwan sets up the tv.

"What movie are you guys talking about?"

Seulgi finds the dvd and raises it just as Seungwan yells out "Wizard of Oz!"

"It's the best!"

"You said the same thing when we watched the other movie with songs, Wannie."

"Yeah but Somewhere Over the Rainbow is my favoritest!"

Seulgi and Joohyun laughs at Seungwan's enthusiasm. Seulgi leaves them to continue setting up while she goes to grab some blankets and pillows from her room.

"Do you need help, Seungwan-ah?"

Seungwan shakes her head no. "I can do it. I'll take care of everything for you, pretty angel unnie."

"Okay, until when will you continue calling me that?"

"Until it stops being true," declares Seungwan. Then she frowns. "Do you not like it, unnie? Should I stop? I'm sorry."

Seeing the girl pout at the thought of making her uncomfortable pokes something inside Joohyun. Sure, it kinda does make her feel all weird but she's not about to hurt Seungwan's feelings over it.

"Oh, no. It's okay. I'm okay with it." Joohyun reassures her. "It's just that the nickname is pretty long. What if you call me something else. Something shorter?"

The little girl puts a hand under her chin and hums in thought. Joohyun sighs a quiet relief.

"Everyone I'm close with calls me Hyunnie unnie," she says. "You can call me Hyunnie, too."

"Hyunnie." Seungwan tastes the name on her tongue. If feels right. She wants to call her Hyunnie too. "Hyunnie. I like it," she nods.

Seulgi returns with a mountain load of blankets and pillows. Joohyun hurries to help before her little cousin gets buried underneath all the fluff. The three of them do their best to make a nest on the floor so that they can watch the movie comfortably.

Joohyun admits to have never watched the movie before. She isn't much into musical theater. Seungwan still pulls Joohyun to sit next to her excitedly, telling the girl how amazing the movie is in her very limited seven year old vocabulary.

"You'll love it, Hyunnie!"

Seulgi's eyes widens as she turns to look at Joohyun. The older gir doesn't seem to mind Seungwan not addressing her properly. Something that could get Seulgi a stern stare seems to not apply to Seungwan. It's weird.

The movie plays and as expected, Seungwan sings along to every song and sometimes, she even says the lines.

Joohyun gets so absorbed with the movie plot but Seungwan won't stop dancing. It's kind of distracting so she pulls the little girl down and hugs her to keep her still.

The hug is warm and Seungwan feels very comfortable. Seungwan doesn't move, not even a squirm, afraid that if she did she'd lose this feeling of warmth. She sets her head on Joohyun's shoulder and curls into her. The older girl places a hand on her head to pat her gently.

Seungwan doesn't stop singing along, though. It's something even Joohyun finds amusing. Sometimes, Seungwan would sing something really well and Joohyun finds herself watching her instead of the screen.

They're a little more than halfway through the movie when Seulgi starts to nod off. Seungwan sings in whispers instead.

The movie ends and Seulgi dozes off on their nest of blankets and pillows. Joohyun finds herself slightly more interested in musicals now, though it has much to do with the very excitable seven year old still snuggled up next to her.

"Today was fun. We should do this again next time," Joohyun says in her soft voice.

Seungwan beams, nods her head softly. 


"Me too, Hyunnie. I can't wait for next weekend!"