Kids (extra)

little bits

Nine year old Seulgi lags behind her friend as they walk through a vast field of grass. The summer heat persistently clings onto her sweaty back and she still doesn't know what's going on.

"Wannie, where are we going? I'm tiiiired," Seulgi whines.

They have been wandering around in forever. They were supposed to be riding and racing their bikes around but apparently, Seungwan had something 'more fun' in mind.

Seulgi is starting to doubt this idea. All they've done is walk through grass that reaches to their knees, leaving their poor bikes parked on the road.

"We're almost there, Sseul. You'll see!"

"This isn't fun at all," Seulgi grumbles. "You hear that, Wan? This isn't fun!"

Seungwan makes a face at her bestfriend but continues walking. She still grabs Seulgi's hand and pulls her along. Soon, they reach the old noisy river.

"We're here!"

Seulgi looks at the water, a little tempted but unimpressed. She's seen the old river before. She's only ever been on the shallower area but the river looks the same.

"Why?"

Seulgi levels a look at Seungwan who only only flashes her a cheeky grin. She lets go of Seulgi's hand and bounces towards the flowing water.

"Swimming?! Seungwan, you're crazy! That's dangerous!"

"Not swimming!"

Seulgi hurries after her friend whose gaining some distance. Seungwan stops by the the riverbank and crouches down.

"I came to get flowers."

Seulgi puffs her cheeks and hits Seungwan's shoulder in annoyance. Her bestfriend doesn't even fake pain and merely laughs.

"You dragged me here to pick flowers?!"

"It's not just flowers, Sseul. It's purple flowers."

"Right. Because that makes so much sense."

Seungwan picks up several flowers. She ignores the pouting Seulgi as she wets a pink handkerchief on river water before wrapping it around around the stalks.

"You said we were heading somewhere fun."

"This place is fun. For me. I didn't say anything about you."

"Yah!"

Seulgi tries to hit her again but Seungwan dodges with a boisterous laugh. She grabs Seulgi's hand again and drags her back to the road.

Seungwan carefully places the flowers on her bike's basket up front. She promises Seulgi all the delicious snacks she wants which appeases the girl as they pedal back to their neighborhood.

Seulgi knows Seungwan is excited for something else.

It's been almost a year ago when a family finally moved into the house next to Seungwan's. She had been wearing her clean blue jumpers when she opened the door to the best surprise she could ever ask for.

Bae Joohyun with the face of an angel stood in front of her holding out a rice cake, a pretty little smile on her face.

Seungwan stutters through her delight before enveloping a giggling Joohyun in a big hug.

The older girl sometimes came over at Seulgi's when they were a bit younger. They lost contact sometime after Seungwan started spending more time abroad. She has never forgotten about Joohyun, though. Not even once.

Seungwan tells her she's prettier than she remembers. Joohyun laughs and tells her she hasn't changed.

The two bestfriends pedal through concrete until they reach Seungwan's street. They park their bikes neatly in the front lawn before heading inside the house.

"Your moms' aren't home?"

"Nope. They're at the apartment."

Seulgi pulls a face. "Why do you guys have two houses?"

Seungwan shrugs. "Mom said it's for adult activities."

"What does that mean?"

"I'm not an adult, how would I know?"

They pull out several desserts and drinks from the fridge. Seulgi takes up a barstool to reach the cabinets where Seungwan's mama always stores the chips.

By the time the duo has finished, the kitchen table looks like a feast. Seungwan takes the flowers she left on the kitchen counter and drops into one of the empty jars, filling it with water.

"What are you doing?"

Seungwan takes the jar and puts it in the middle of the table.

"Let's go invite Joohyun unnie to come have snacks with us."

Seulgi doesn't even get the chance to refuse, not that she would. Seungwan's already bouncing up the stairs to her room.

With a deep sigh, Seulgi drags herself to follow her bestfriend.

This isn't anything new. Honestly, Seulgi has already seen this coming. Seungwan has always asked Joohyun to hang out with them, nevermind that the older girl has friends of her own.

It's odd, Seulgi thinks. Joohyun's her cousin and all but even she doesn't ask her to hang out that much. Younger kids like them shouldn't go around bothering older kids like Joohyun.

Then again, it's not like Joohyun has ever said no to Seungwan.

Seulgi leans on Seungwan's bedroom door just as her bestfriend opens the window to call for the older girl.

Joohyun peeks out from her own window and smiles when she sees the widely grinning Seungwan waving at her.

"Unnie, Seulgi and I have too much food. Wanna come over and eat with us?"

Joohyun starts to open but then closes them again. She turns her head away for a little while before facing Seungwan again.

"Is it okay if my friends come over, too?"

Seungwan says yes, of course. Seungwan has always wanted to meet the school friends Joohyun likes spending time with.

Soon enough, they hear the doorbell and Seungwan runs to let the older girls in. Seulgi gives Joohyun a hug after Seungwan and waves hi to the others.

"Mom said I'm not allowed to make a mess in the dining room so we're having snacks in the kitchen instead. Is that okay?"

Joohyun pats the younger girl's head affectionately. "Of course, Seungwan-ah."

Her friends, introduced as Yongsun and Jin Ah, looks at each other and giggles. Joohyun subtly gives them a glare before ushering the two younger girls to start walking.

The kitchen table is littered with a lot of sweets and pastries and every child's dream buffet. Yongsun and Jin Ah marvels at the display but Joohyun's eyes are only trained to one thing.

"Those flowers are very pretty."

Seungwan beams proudly. She takes Joohyun's hand and leads her to the seat closest to the flower-filled jar.

"I picked them up earlier. I don't know what they're called but they're your favourite color."

Something warm floods Joohyun's chest and she can only think of hugging the younger girl in thanks. So she does.

Jin Ah and Yongsun starts giggling again. Seulgi wonders if she and Seungwan will be that weird too when they get a little older.

She shrugs it off. The pringles can is calling.

"You should get Joohyun flowers everyday, Seungwan," grins Yongsun.

"Yeah, flowers sure do make her happy," Jin-ah giggles.

Seungwan doesn't understand but she laughs along with them, too. Joohyun pouts and pats at her own warming cheeks.

"Wannie got them from the old river," Seulgi says casually, potato chip halfway in .

Joohyun gasps at the information. "Seungwan, that's dangerous!"

"It was only by the riverside! I didn't get too close, I swear."

Seungwan bites her lip and balks at her bestfriend's betrayal. Seulgi realizes her mistake and gives Seungwan an apologetic smile.

"Still. I don't want you doing anything dangerous. I don't want you to get hurt," Joohyun tells her gently.

The younger girl pouts but nods nonetheless.

"Can I still get you flowers, though?"

Seungwan's eyes are round and shiny, her chubby cheeks puffing so that her shy little dimple come out. Joohyun bites her lip before a wide smile could take over.

"Of course."

Seungwan does a fist pump and excitedly chatters on about the day she and Seulgi had.

Joohyun doesn't mind the knowing looks her friends give in between talking to Seulgi. If she gets Seungwan to smile like this, Joohyun doesn't mind at all.