Quiet Mornings

little bits


The kids had been gone for a while. Joohyun milks every minute of silence until they get back. She's here to relax too, after all. The sun's barely risen.

It's a vacation. The house is still in the morning hour.

Joohyun shifts to stretch, squirming until she's comfortable enough in the little hammock she had perched herself in, taking in the quiet lull of the nearby lake and the rhythmic songs of the forest.

The gentle noises in between the silence feels like a blanket of comfort.

She only notices time going by when Seungwan comes out to the porch. She looks soft in her pajamas, shirt ruffled and hair fluffed as if it's been tamed by lithe fingers.

Son Seungwan, the human version of comfort. She's always been Joohyun's personal source of comfort.

Seungwan drags her feet through the wooden floor boards, face still a little tired from staying up too late by fault not her own.

"Unnie," she calls out.

Joohyun opens her arms in welcome, positively delighted when Seungwan dives in and cuddles herself into her embrace.

It's not everyday that Joohyun gets herself an armful of a sleepy Son Seungwan. She's never been particularly clingy. Joohyun's also not one to waste a preciously rare moment.

"Did you sleep well?"

Seungwan shakes her head, breathes out as she tries to make sense of their limbs so they can both fit comfortably on the hammock.

"Where did the others go?"

"They wanted to get ice cream. Seulgi's driving."

Seungwan doesn't bother to ask anymore. Instead, she buries herself closer and melts into Joohyun.

It's moments like this that Joohyun loves the most. Seungwan, her shy Seungwan, being absolutely precious without care. A rare moment of vulnerability that only Joohyun is privy to.

Seungwan rests her head on Joohyun's chest and Joohyun wonders if Seungwan can hear the song her heart sings for her.

"You're warm," the girl sleepily mumbles.

Joohyun hums, fingers idly playing over silky locks. "Sleepy?"

Seungwan yawns, nuzzles into familiar warmth and closes her eyes. She smiles when familiar lips kisses whispers of sweet dreams on her head.

Joohyun basks in the lull of the lake and the rhythmic songs of the forest, grounds herself with the warmth of the girl she'd always want to share every moment with.