Shared Things (and maybe feelings)

little bits

It's not like they had this planned out. Wendy doesn't even realize how many things she and Irene have in common until their friends start pointing it out to her.

The first time was just a casual comment. She and Seulgi were sitting on the benches after school waiting for Joy when her friend points on the keychain on her bag.

Wendy pulls up the bag and picks up the dangling blue star. It's small and sparkly and Wendy proudly shows it to her friend.

"Irene unnie got it for me," Wendy tells her. "It's cute, right?"

"Irene unnie never buys me things," Seulgi pouts.

"Technically, she won two of these at the arcade so she didn't really buy it."

Seulgi tells her that wasn't the point. She wanted to elaborate but Joy's already here and Seulgi's fast on her feet to get to the younger girl.

"She's too obvious," Wendy sighs. She softly pats the keychain in place, smiles as she walks towards her friends.



The next time it happens, it's Joy who asks why Wendy is wearing Irene's sweater. They're walking to the convenience store to buy some food while Irene and Seulgi are busy for a dance practice.

"This sweater is mine though?" Wendy tells the younger girl.

"Huh. Could've sworn I saw Irene unnie wearing the same one."

They don't really talk about it after that, both too engrossed in picking the best snacks they could afford on their meager allowance. Joy doesn't even try to hide a prank she's planning with a few very spicy purchases.

"Seulgi might cry," Wendy comments.

"That's the plan."

The thing is that Wendy is both amazed and terrified of Joy at the same time. This isn't a secret.

Wendy doesn't question why Joy suddenly links their arms together as soon as they enter the practice room to deliver their purchase.

She does, however, immediately run to Irene after she's given a look. The older girl may be small but she's nothing less than intimidating when she wants to be.

"I got you your favourite flavor."

Irene's expression changes as she melts next to Wendy, the two of them seamlessly lapsing into inside jokes and easy conversation.

Joy just smirks amusedly, feeling proud of herself. Now it's time for her other thing.

"Hey Seulgi unnie, I got you something!"



The third time, it's Yeri barging into her room without knocking. She's trying this new internet challenge nobody's even heard about and she needs to borrow a bracelet.

She's picking through the things Wendy pulls out for her when her hand hovers over something familiar.

"Oh?"

Yeri picks up a golden little trinket and scrunches her nose. She definitely knows where she's seen the design before. It's exactly the same one she wasn't allowed to borrow earlier from Irene.

"Where did you get this, unnie?"

Wendy takes the bracelet back gently. Yeri doesn't comment on the small smile on her face.

"Irene and I shopped together last week. We thought the design looked pretty so I bought us the same one."

"Of course you did."

Wendy can't read the look Yeri gives her but in her defense, she usually can't read the younger girl. She doesn't ask. Yeri calls her a simp anyway.

"I don't think you're using that word correctly," frowns Wendy.

"That's because you're a boomer."

Yeri dodges Wendy's poor attempt of a slap on her and laughs out of the room. She doesn't bother taking the bracelet with her.



Everyone moves on eventually. Soon, Wendy realizes that when she and Irene are not owning the same items, they usually end up borrowing each other's.

"I'm cold," Irene would say and Wendy will not hesitate to offer her hoodie. It's always less cold when Irene smiles at her in return anyway.

Sometimes, Irene comes up behind her to gather her hair into a bun. "You can't study when your hair's blocking your face," she'll tell her. "You can use my hairtie."

There are also days when they don't even need a reason to use each others' things at all.

Wendy will not admit it gives her a weird sense of comfort. At least not out loud.

Their friends don't say anything either.

Wendy doesn't know when this started to become their new normal but she knows she doesn't want to change it for the world.