Dispatch

little bits


It's the third night on a cold January evening of Joohyun staying out late in a random coffee shop on the barely populated area of Seoul. It's the third night since she has started following Son Seungwan, better known as the nation's singer Wendy. The third night of Joohyun quietly staring at the beautiful face of the beautiful singer.

Joohyun's not a stalker. She's really not.

You see, Joohyun likes taking pictures. Ever since her childhood friend introduced her to the beauty of capturing a moment, Joohyun has been hooked. Taking pictures feels like taking little pieces of life to store in your pocket, memories to keep when all you can have are memories. So pictures Joohyun took, filling up her camera and her heart.

A few days ago, that same childhood friend contacted her asking for help. Kang Seulgi has always been an independent soul, her closest loyal confidante. As much as Joohyun loved messing with the younger girl, she also takes care of her the most.

So when Seulgi uncharacteristically asked to borrow some money for accidentally ruining the expensive dress of some rich intimidating actress, Joohyun doesn't hesitate to provide.

Even if she had to pull that money from her own .

Or, you know, slash her bank account in more than half.

Here's what they don't tell you in the working world, especially in the art field: unless you have a lot of money, you will not make a lot of money.

So here Joohyun sits in a random coffee shop on a barely populated area of Seoul, pretending to read a book and working for Dispatch.

It's a side job thing.

Joohyun's not a stalker. Not really. She's Wendy's paparazzi. Sort of.

Here's the thing about Wendy: the girl is clean. Like really, pristinely clean. There's not a single splotch of dirt on her reputation which spins a lot of speculations from netizens and media alike. She's too nice, too generous, too pretty.

There must be something wrong with her.

That's not the reason Joohyun's been sent on her tail, however. On a recent variety show, the beloved singer was apparently seen getting cozy with an actor during a shoot. In truth, they only sat together according to the seats assigned and interacted only as much as to greet each other. Scandalous.

Joohyun's pretty sure Dispatch isn't even serious about that rumor. They just needed someone to tail the singer just in case.

It's not like Joohyun's complaining when she's getting paid for this.

Besides, it doesn't hurt that Wendy has a very pleasant face to look at. This job may require her to stay up at ungodly hours but at least she gets to have a really nice view to stare at. Professionally.

Wendy likes to try out new things, Joohyun notes. On each night she has followed the singer, she has never ordered the same thing twice.

Except for that bubble tea she liked to walk around with so much, maybe. That one she doesn't change at all. Joohyun would be lying if she says it isn't endearing.

Wendy hasn't moved from her corner table for about an hour now. She's been scribbling on a notebook, just as she had done on the previous nights.

Whatever it is she's writing must be intense for her eyebrows to be scrunched like that, Joohyun thinks. The coffee cup in front of the singer must be getting cold. Joohyun takes a sip of her own cup of warm chocolate.

The clock strikes eleven when Wendy ruffles her hair in what seems to be frustration. She sighs, closes her notebook. It's time to pack up and leave.

Joohyun waits for a few beats before surreptitiously following her out the shop. She might have enjoyed the comfort and the view her current job provides but she also would like to go home now.

However, instead of the parking lot, Joohyun finds herself following Wendy to the nearby park.

Is this it? Is a scandal finally happening?

Joohyun silently takes out the camera from her bag, hurriedly adjusting to appropriate settings. She positions herself behind one of the trees, concealing herself from the singer's view. She's ready.

Wendy sits on one of the swings, weakly kicking at the ground. Her bag, a brand Joohyun can't even afford to own in her dreams, haphazardly left on the ground.

The singer leans back, head trained to look upwards. Wendy looks so small all alone under the dark starry sky. Joohyun can't see her face but the moon glows on her skin, reflects the color on her hair.

It's breathtaking.

Joohyun almost feels bad taking pictures on what obviously is a private moment. She stops at two, tells herself she can take more later if there actually is someone Wendy is meeting.

(Secretly, Joohyun hopes there's no one for reasons she refuses to admit.)

Joohyun gets snapped out of her musings when something wet collides with her leg. She freezes.

It bumps on her again.

.

Joohyun slowly turns her head, one eye barely opened, to see what's trying to her like dessert.

It's a dog.

A small, raggedy dog.

.

Joohyun screams, her pitch getting higher and higher as she scrambles away from the tiny animal. The dog flinches away from Joohyun's frantic screams and uncoordinated flailing but the photographer is too busy panicking to see it.

She doesn't even notice the pair of arms she has turned to for an embrace in her fear. Doesn't notice the twinkling eyes staring disbelievingly at the tiny dog that looked confusedly at them before leaving.

"You're okay, it's okay. You're gonna be okay, shh."

Joohyun feels a warm hand caressing her back gently. A soothing voice hums a tune Joohyun doesn't recognize, the vibration resonating between their bodies. She doesn't know how much time has passed but soon, Joohyun gradually stops trembling.

"It's gone now. You're okay."

The voice sounds familiar. Joohyun thinks she should know whom it belongs to. She steps back slowly, disentangling herself from the safety of the strangers' arms.

The first thought that runs through her head is that she shouldn't be hugging random strangers in an almost empty park in the middle of the night.

The second thought comes just as fast and twice as hard.

. The stranger is Wendy?!

Joohyun freezes again. This shouldn't be happening. She should be taking pictues of possible scandals involving the singer, not cuddling with her!

"Hey?" Wendy smiles at her, lopsided with a hint of a tease. The dimple on her left cheek is barely visible under the dim moonlight. Her hair is a little mussed, probably from Joohyun's flailing earlier.

She looks so damn attractive.

What the .

"What are you doing here?" the singer asks 

It's not accusatory. It sounds more like Wendy is genuinely curious why a girl like Joohyun is out and about at this hour of the night. As if she herself isn't doing the same thing.

"I was taking a walk," Joohyun lies as she'd practiced. "And, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." she gestures shyly as she trails off.

"Oh, that?" Wendy laughs, a melody that sets Joohyun's heart soaring. "It's okay. You were scared of um, a tiny... dog?"

Joohyun puffs her cheeks, annoyance filling in where embarassment once was. "It's not my fault I have a phobia for animals, okay? It's a real thing!"

Wendy raises her arms slightly in placating surrender, yet that stupid smile only grows.

"Of course, of course. I didn't mean to imply anything. Sorry."

Joohyun crosses her arms and huffs in response. She's never taken well to people who downplays her situation. Her fear might not make sense to most people but that's what make it a phobia in the first place.

Wendy looks apologetic though. Joohyun considers forgiving her just this once.

"Oh, is that yours?"

Joohyun glances at where Wendy is pointing at and gracelessly dives down. Her bag is on the ground. Her camera is on that bag and it's on the damn ground. .

"Are you okay?" Wendy asks as Joohyn fumbles.

Joohyun's hands busily unfastens the bag, furiously poking and pressing at her camera once she retrieves it. Only when she makes sure that it works just fine does Joohyun finally breathe.

"You're a photographer?"

Wendy is still trying to talk to her for whatever reason and Joohyun feels really confused. Does this girl have no sense of self preservation? She's a celebrity! She shouldn't be talking to strangers. Especially not strangers with cameras. 

"Kind of."

Joohyun doesn't know why she's responding either. It's supposed to be a secret job. She isn't meant to be seen.

"What does that mean, kind of?" Wendy giggles and if Joohyun doesn't want to hear her do it again.

But she shouldn't. She knows she should leave. This wasn't part of the deal.

With a heavy sigh, Joohyun looks at Wendy. How can a person's eyes look so pretty? It takes Joohyun a couple of seconds to finally get a word out.

"I have to go now. It's already really late. Thank you for saving me and I'm sorry for... basically jumping on you."

Wendy's eyes does this thing that briefly reminds Joohyun of those cute little cartoon puppies her sister loves to watch. She doesn't even know how it's possible but Wendy sure is pulling it off.

"I didn't even catch your name."

. What's the protocol here? Does she tell her? Should she lie? Maybe she should just walk away. Yes.

"Good bye, Wendy-ssi."

Joohyun gives her a smile before turning to leave. She's been compromised tonight anyway, might as well try again tomorrow.

 



Tomorrow finds Joohyun camping in her car parked right in the street where Wendy always does her morning jog.

She has kimbap and several types of bread to go with her coffee and Joohyun has never been more thankful for the existence of convenience stores.

Joohyun takes a sip of the dark bitter liquid and blaches. She isn't a fan of coffee in any mixture but she needs the caffeine. Honestly, what does Wendy see in this concoction that she religiously seek out every night?

After their encounter, Joohyun finds herself thinking more about Wendy. She thinks about the things she learned about Wendy these past few days and a few memories make her smile.

Like her shirts.

Wendy is as fashion-sensible as any celebrity but on her morning jogs, she wears a lot of shirts. Statement shirts. Like a dork.

The ones she had worn hasn't failed to make Joohyun laugh so the photographer can't really help but look forward to whatever statement shirt the singer chooses to wear today.

Except when Wendy steps around the apartment buildings, she isn't wearing her usual shirt and leggings. No.

Today she wears a sports bra poorly covered by an open jacket with tiny shorts that hug her figure perfectly.

Joohyun grabs her coffee cup from the holder and forces herself to take a sip. suddenly needs the liquid.

Then somethkng catches her eye. Joohyun lifts the camera up, not to take pictures, although she might have clicked the shutter accidentally in haste, but more to confirm something. Something that she's sure she's never taken an interest in before on any other person. She adjusts the focus as she zooms in and—

Oh.

Joohyun quietly sets the camera back on her lap and leans back on the carseat.

"Wendy Son has abs."

Joohyun has always acknowledged Wendy to be attractive but damn, it's not Joohyun's fault she's really, really gay.

She takes the camera and views her last photo and yup, it's still there.

Damn it.

She shouldn't even be affected like this. Seulgi is attractive and has abs but Joohyun isn't wanting to jump her and keep her in bed for hours of wanton pleasure! It doesn't make sense at all.

"I must be going crazy," she mumbles.

There's a tap on the car window, jolting Joohyun from her thoughts and making her jump on her seat. She turns her head to tell whoever it is to buzz off only to find a smiling Wendy waving at her from outside.

Wendy's waving at her from outside. .

She wants to pretend she doesn't see but her car windows aren't tinted, damnit. She could drive away but that would make her look even more suspicious. She hasn't even been paid for this gig yet. She can't fail now.

Joohyun forces herself to calm down. She plasters a smile on her face as the window rolls down.

"Hey, Cinderella!"

Joohyun furrows her brows. Of all the things she expected to hear, maybe even an accusation or two, she did not expect this one.

"Excuse me?"

"You know, coz you had to leave at midnight?" Wendy raises her hand to scratch at hair by her neck, looking a little sheepish. "I didn't get your name so I just called you Cinderella in my head. Since you're really pretty."

"M-me?"

Okay, Joohyun did not expect that one at all. She stares at the singer's face only for them to lock eyes. Embrassed, Joohyun turns her gaze low only to be met with angry abs. Joohyun forces herself to look somewhere else.

"Yeah," Wendy chuckles. "Umm, I was just going to go grab breakfast when I saw you. Would you, maybe, want to join me?"

At this point, Joohyun should just stop having expectations altogether. Clearly, the universe is messing with her.

"So..." Wendy's smile falters, an embarassed grin slowly filling up that charming smile she was wearing earlier. Joohyun realizes she hasn't replied and steels herself to decline. Say, no thanks. An easy rehection

"Sure."

Goddamnit. Joohyun wants to throw herself into the ocean.

Wendy's smile comes back full force and Joohyun finds it harder and harder to be mad at for betraying her brain.

There's a cozy little restaurant nearby that sells Korean food and Joohyun finds herself walking alongside Wendy.

A well known fact about the singer is that she can talk for hours on end. What the public doesn't know, however, is how quiet she also can be when by herself. Joohyun finds the contrast interesting.

At the moment, she finds herself engaging in a conversation with the singer. Wendy might be talking more than her but Joohyun is just as invested.

They talk about everything and nothing and anything else in between. Joohyun finds herself enjoying the singer's company that she doesn't even realize when they sat down and ordered.

They eat and chat amicably. Joohyun learns more things about Wendy and sometimes, she shares a story about herself too.

Breakfast is soon cleared with full hearts and even fuller stomachs. Joohyun can't help staring at Wendy's elated face. There's something about the singer that makes Joohyun feel at ease. Wendy matches her stare and they share a little smile.

"I still didn't get your name, you know. I can't keep calling you Cinderella."

Wendy is playful and charming and Joohyun is reminded once again why she shouldn't be doing this.

"Do you usually have breakfasts with random strangers you meet at the park at night?" Joohyun diverts.

"Only if they're as pretty as you."

Wendy winks with her words and Joohyun's heart is weak. Overused greasy lines shouldn't have this much effect on her and yet she finds herself caving. But she shouldn't. 

"I'm sorry," Joohyun says.

Wendy's eyebrows furrow, inquisitive eyes meeting Joohyun's apologetic ones. Then her eyes widen as if she's realizing something.

"Oh." Wendy straightens on her seat. "I apologize for assuming. I thought you were... you know."

Oh. OH.

Joohyun waves her hand around as she tries to explain.

"No, no. That's not what i meant at all. I'm definitely... yes. I am. It's just that..."

"You're taken?"

"That's not it either. I'm not dating anyone."

"Then you're just not interested. That's okay. I can take a rejection, you kno—"

"I'm DISPATCH!"

Joohyun closes her eyes, afraid of what she'll see in Wendy's face at her revelation. They were having such a great time. Moments that shoudn't be.

She wants to apologize. She wants to tell Wendy that she doesn't want to lie to her, that if circumstances were different then she would definitely—

"I know."

Joohyun raises her head and slowly blinks at the singer in surprise.

"What?"

Wendy offers her a small smile. A gesture Joohyun holds unto like a hopeful thread.

"You're not exactly sneaky," the singer says with a chuckle. "I've seen you following me around a couple days."

Joohyun takes offense vocally at that to which Wendy only laughs at.

"It's true! You aren't as subtle as you think, Cinderella."

"My name's Joohyun," she huffs.

"Even better," grins Wendy. "Pretty name for a pretty girl."

Joohyun feels the warmth crawling to her neck. She sees Wendy smirk at her no doubt reddening appearance. Joohyun clears .

"So if you knew I was DISPATCH, why did you talk to me?"

Wendy shrugs. "I wasn't going to. The plan was to leave you alone since you're really good at respecting boundaries. You keep your distance and don't take as many pictures as the usual paparazzi. Even now, you didn't even bring your camera."

Joohyun sits up straighter at that. She didn't even realize she forgot to bring the thing after Wendy asked her out. For breakfast, that is.

"And then I hear you screaming while I was trying to find a melody in my head and I had to check up on you. Didn't expect you to throw yourself at me but," Wendy smirks, "no regrets."

Joohyun scoffs. "I was scared. You can't hold that against me."

"I'm not! It's just that it isn't everyday a pretty girl hugs you out of nowhere. I almost thought you were a fairy or something until I saw the bag you always carry lying on the ground. Just as cute as its owner."

"Are you flirting with me?"

"Depends. Is it working?"

This is so unfair. Confident, smirky Wendy should be made illegal. Joohyun covers her face with her palms and groans.

"It's not."

"Your cheeks are really red, though."

"Allergies," Joohyun counters.

Wendy laughs and laughs and maybe getting herself embarassed isn't so bad when it makes Wendy this happy. Joohyun feels a little proud of herself.

"Are you still going to follow me around after this?"

Joohyun groans again. She needs that money.

"Honestly, I don't know. It won't feel right if I do but I can't just go back empty handed."

Wendy hums, thinking. She leans with her elbows on the table, arms cupping her face.

"How about I volunteer information?"

"What?"

"You know, tell you things you need to know. Sometimes, our agencies arrange these things for image control so I'm a little familiar with it. A lot of information about me is staged."

Joohyun gasps. She didn't know about this before.

"I'm not as nice as my image suggests I am," Wendy smiles, a delicate mouth curved a little bit downwards. "I'm human, too."

Joohyun finds herself reaching for one of Wendy's hands to hold between her own.

"Oh? So bold you are, Miss Joohyun. Already wanting to hold my hand."

Joohyuns then slaps that hand with a grunt and drops it back on the table. Wendy laughs again.

"You're annoying."

"Yes but I'm also about to volunteer information you can use for your job."

"I can't do that, Wendy. Is that even fair to you?"

"It's nothing incriminating. Just a comeback date. You're first to know."

"Are you sure about this?"

"Just get your phone out and record what I'm saying so I can go back to flirting with you. I still need to charm you into dating me."

Joohyun doesn't know whether be thankful for the help or to hit Wendy for that grease. She knows she doesn't owe Wendy for the help and Wendy is fast to reassure her.

One thing's for sure, though. She really, really likes Wendy Son.