The Dumb Open Door

Two Doors Down

Jimin's fingers were trembling.

It was 8:34 p.m. and Jimin was some place he wasn't supposed to be - a little somewhere owned by a little someone named Min Yoongi.

The square clock ticking above the television screen did nothing to calm Jimin's nerves as he hid behind a new leather couch and whispered into the air.

"Mimi-ah, where are you?"

The white Siberian cat was nowhere to be seen.

Jimin cursed under his breath.

Of all the places for his cat to run off, it had to be Min Yoongi's apartment; the same boy Jimin was best friends with in elementary school and painfully broke off contact with. The same boy he now subtly followed everyday to the College of the Arts a few streets down and admired when he appeared on the streets performing small shows with his friends. The same boy who seemed to have forgotten who Park Jimin even was.

The Fates seemed to really like playing around with Jimin's life.

Jimin inwardly groaned and scurried to the kitchen, where he hid behind a large box and scanned his surroundings. He softly called out for Mimi again and searched under the chairs and table, in the sink and cupboards, and on the counter top and refrigerator. 
 

Earlier that day, Jimin had opened his door to head to the convenience store when he heard voices down the hall.

"Yeah," he heard Yoongi say, "we can ask Hoseok about his dance group and maybe do a collaboration with them."

"Hmm." the other man responded. Jimin realized that it was Kim Namjoon - another student at his university and one of Yoongi's friends - and peeked outside his door. Namjoon's hair was a pale pink and styled to the side, and wore a gray cardigan and shades. Who wears shades inside a building? Jimin thought.

Yoongi's pale blond hair glowed under the ceiling light, and he looked a lot younger while wearing his oversized navy sweater and striped socks.

"We're going to have to find a replacement for Seokjin, though." Namjoon continued, "he fell sick and now he sounds like a horse."

Yoongi snorted. "You don't have any friends who can take the part?"

"No . . . .Kookie went on a trip to his grandparents' house and Taehyung already has a part. . . "

"I'll try to find someone."

It was when Yoongi and Namjoon down the hallway a couple of steps and left the apartment door wide open, when Jimin's cat, Mimi, ran between his legs and out the door.

"Mimi!" he called out in a hushed whisper , and watched in horror.

The fluffy white cat disappeared into Yoongi's apartment and didn't come out. Jimin crumbled to the floor in disbelief. The two students seemed to have forgotten that they left the door open, and Jimin heard Namjoon asking Yoongi if he wanted to grab a macchiato from the cafe a block down.

Jimin didn't hear the answer, but poked his head out the door when he heard nothing but silence after waiting for some time. The door was still wide open.