Chapter 16

The Perfect Gift: Alternative Ending

“Kim Hana.” A voice called our daughter’s name as our family erupted into a frenzy of cheers and excitement. Our daughter bowed politely at her principal as he handed her a blue and yellow folder. Once she walked down the stairs of the stage she looked up at us and waved triumphantly before taking her seat next to Yixing.


No one in our family could be more proud of Hana than Jonghyun and I. I felt a warm hand on my lower back which I instantly recognized as Jonghyun’s. I turned to look at him and saw that he had the biggest smile lighting up his entire face. Hell, that smile was bright enough to light up the entire stadium we were seated in.

“Hey, now. Don’t cry, we’re supposed to be happy, remember?” Jonghyun beamed at me, his hand rubbing calming circles on my back.

“I know, I’m just so proud of our baby!” I smiled back at him as we heard the cheers of the student and saw their caps flying into the air.

“Umma!” I heard Hana call as she raced to us a few minutes later. Both Jonghyun and I opened our arms and she ran into them without a second thought.

“Hey, baby!” I said excitedly. “We are so proud of you!”

 

And that statement was so unbelievably true. Our daughter had accomplished so much in the thirteen years that we had been lucky enough to have her. She had overcome the death of her biological mother, adapted to a new environment, made every single one of our family members fall in love with her, survived being hit by Jonghyun’s witch of an ex-girlfriend, and now, she had graduated high school and was gearing up for college.

“Thank you, Umma!” She laughed and kissed us both. “LOOK! It’s my diploma!” The way she held out her diploma to show us mixed with the pride and excitement on her face made me remember all the times when she was little, where she would come running into the room I was in and would hold up her pictures or a test she had done well on, it made my heart skip a beat. It was times like those that made me remember how grown up she really was.

“Wow! You really are all grown up now, aren’t you!” Jonghyun laughed, taking it and opening the folder to admire the fancy document on the inside.

“You bet your bottom dollar I am!” Hana said in English, making the two of us laugh.

“WHERE IS MY FAVORITE NIECE!” Sodam shouted running up behind her with Jonghyun’s parents following closely behind;

“Aunt Sodam! Grandma, Grandpa” Hana squealed in happiness, turning around and hugging Sodam and her grandparents before pointing to her diploma. “Look at my diploma!”

“Geez girl, when did you grow up?!” Sodam asked her in disbelief.

“I’ve always been growing up, you’ve just been too stubborn to realize it. You and Appa are a lot alike in that way.” Hana stuck her tongue out at Sodam before we heard five distinct laughs behind us.  “Uncles!” Hana smiled before running up and hugging each of the members, starting with Jiyong.

“Congratulations, kiddo!” Jiyong shouted, ignoring the girls that were slowly accumulating around us as my parents approached us.

“Halmeoni, Hadabah jee!” Hana shouted before running into their arms as well.

"Congratulations, princess. You've worked so hard!" My father told her.

“Thank you!” She smiled happily at all of us before Taemin and Minho showed up as well as the twins.

 

It was nice to have our entire family here with us. None of us could believe that our once five year old daughter that would run around our house in pigtails and a poofy dress could be the now 18 year old that was standing before us, curled hair, eyeliner that made her vibrant eyes pop, wearing a white graduation gown and hat, and holding her diploma up for everyone to see. It didn’t seem possible but we all knew that somehow it was.

 

 

-3 months later-

“And you call us if there’s anything else you need or if you want to talk or-” I said frantically.

“Umma, it’s okay! I will call you tomorrow after orientation, okay?” Hana told me as she flung her arms around me.

“Promise?” I said.

“I swear!”

“You better not swear, it’s ‘unlady like’.” Jonghyun laughed using his fingers to make air quotation marks when he said “unlady like”.

“Wow, really, Appa?” Hana laughed, going to hug him.

“No, but seriously, we love you. And for the love of God, please remember to call Umma tomorrow. You may not have to deal with him anymore, but I still have to, thanks to that thing we call marriage.” He smiled weakly as he hugged her.

“I love you too, Appa. I won’t forget, I promised remember?” She laughed and kissed his cheek.

“Ya!” I said acting hurt. “What about me?”

“Of course I love you too, Umma.” She laughed before hugging me one last time.

“Hana! Come one, we have that freshman meeting in twenty, and it takes us a good fifteen minutes to get there!” Her new roommate, Yoona, shouted from across the parking lot, waving her arms to get her attention.

“Coming!” Hana called back, before kissing Jonghyun and me. “I got to go now, I really do love you guys a lot! Bye!” She said before she ran over to Yoona, waving one last time before walking away. I felt a lone tear escape the edge of my eye and run down my cheek as I watched my baby leave.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

Hello again! So here's the double update I sorta promised! Bre actually edited this chapter too but she thought that she only half edited because she got the phone call about her brother while she was editing. So there was like a year-ish time skip here but that's because I'm about to end the story soon. I can't believe that I'm going to end this story already! It's been like less than a month, but I guess that's what I get for updating nearly everyday (minus weekends but that's cause Bre sleeps like all of Saturday and then crams on Sundays. Get battle tactic, Bre). But I can't believe that this story has over 1,100 hits in the two weeks that I've been working on it! WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

At first we were like:

tumblr_ml0zlhm1of1qihji8o1_500.gif

But then we were all:

shinee-fangirling-gif.gif

minhyukjoyheartstrings.gifI think it was the only time Bre didn't cry when I've talked to her since last night, so thank you everyone :)

PICTA SPAM TIME!!!!!!

tumblr_mjszglbuUA1qihji8o1_250.gif TAEMIN FAIL!!! Maybe the Onew Condition is contagious....

shinee-gif-shinee-20262676-119.gif I will not say bad things, I will not say bad things......OMG THAT LOOKS SO WRONG