Chapter 9

The Perfect Gift: Alternative Ending

6 years later

Over the past two years a lot had happened. Jonghyun ended up having to have “that talk” with Hana, while I stood with my arms crossed watching him try to explain it to our poor, confused daughter. Eventually he finally figured out how to say it, thoroughly grossing out our daughter for the rest of the night. It took her another day or two to “recover”, as Jonghyun put it when we told Onew, 2min, and Sodam at one of our “family dinners”.

In the meantime, Hana had become close friends with her younger cousins, thrilling all of us. Taemin and I worried that they wouldn’t get close due to the jealousy that Hana had expressed the first time they met, but Jonghyun, Minho, and Onew all pointed out that she was able to get over that quickly and she wasn’t one to hold a grudge. They were right of course, and now Hana loved getting to see them. They went to the same school though the twins were two years below her. She helped them a lot on schoolwork, especially their English since she spoke it fluently. According to her teacher, she was practically teaching the class, even correcting the teacher when she made mistakes, which Jonghyun found thoroughly amusing. Despite my apologies, I too thought it was hilarious that she was doing that.

As Hana grew, she expressed more interest in clothes and fashion, much to my delight. Frequently she’d point out “pretty outfits” to us and Jonghyun would roll his eyes and mutter something about going broke under his breath. However, whenever Hana expressed want over something, he was the first to cave, claiming later that he’d do anything for his baby girl.

Hana was well behaved most of the time, but as she reached her teen years she began to act more and more like a teenager, which was hard for me. She wanted to go out and spend more time with her friends and less time with us. There would be times when I would sit on the couch and a movie like Mulan would come on and I would tear up, remembering the times where she would beg us to watch it with her and then curl up into our laps while we watched it with her. I missed those days so much, and sometimes would feel so sad I’d cry, though I would never do  it around her. I knew that Jonghyun felt the exact same way, he would get a sad expression on his face when one of her favorite movies would come on, or when she’d spend the night over at her friends’ houses. He was the king of skinship and I knew he missed getting to pick her up and carry her around the house. I would even find him sometimes watching the old videos and looking through pictures I took. Tonight was one of those nights.

“Hana, come back!” Jonghyun’s voice called out next to the camera.

“Appa, hurry up!” A six year old Hana called, dressed in a pink dress, with a bow in her hair.

“I’m coming, I’m coming!” He called back running up the steps to the museum, and picking her up to spin her around once he reached her. “Kibummie, stop being a slow poke!”

“Hey! I’m coming!” I called back to them from behind the camera.

“Umma!” Hana called, getting impatient as I made my way up the endless flight of stairs.

Eventually we reached the ticket booth and the video skipped ahead to when we were entering the dinosaur exhibit. Next to us was 2min, Onew, and Jiyong. 2min still had about a year before they were going to get together, but that didn’t stop me from sighing in frustration as I watched them eye each other.

“When will you two get together?” I asked from behind the camera. “Can’t you see how you’re eyeing each other like hungry animals?”

The video continued like this for a little while, Hana pointing out the various dinosaurs to us, Onew, Jonghyun, and Jiyong totally absorbed in her, and 2min awkwardly devouring each other with their eyes. It was starting to get nauseating how bad the tension was.

“Umma, look!” Hana yelled as we rounded the corner into the carnivorous dinosaur section of the exhibit. She was pointing at the T-Rex. “It’s Appa!”

“Ya!” Jonghyun half-shouted, plucking her off the ground to place her on his hips, her arms naturally going around his neck. “Why does everyone make me into a dinosaur?!”

“‘Cause you look like one, hyung.” Taemin said.

“I do not!”

“No, Hana. See, this one is your appa!” Onew pointed at a much smaller velociraptor making us all laugh.

“Nope!” Jiyong laughed, pointing to a tiny dinosaur that looked a little like a velociraptor but much smaller. “This one is Jonghyun!”

“What is that?! I’ve never seen that!” Taemin asked as we got closer.

“It says it’s a new addition the museum, so that’s probably why.” Minho read the sign. “It’s called a Compsognathus, and they’re one of the smallest dinosaurs, existing in the Jurassic period. It’s the size of a turkey full grown!”

“Meaning, it’s only three feet tall!” Taemin continued to read over his shoulder.

“Totally Jonghyun!” Jiyong shouted, making all of us laugh.

“He is one of the shortest people I know.” Onew added.

“Ya! Not funny!” Jonghyun scowled.

“It’s hilarious, Jonghyun.” I said quietly, for only the camera to hear, knowing he’d be watching this eventually.

“You know, I haven’t seen this particular video.” I said coming into the room, sitting down on the couch next to him.

“Me either,” Jonghyun sighed, pulling me into his side. “I mean, I remember it, but I never heard that last part you added. Thanks for that, by the way.”

“Anytime, yeobo.” I laughed, giving him a kiss.

“Whatcha doin’?” Hana asked coming in, plopping down next to us.

“Watching old videos of you.” Jonghyun said hitting the play button. The next video was of Taemin and Minho chasing Hana around, trying to catch her as she ran around without pants on, me laughing behind the camera. Eventually she ran into Jonghyun’s arms, allowing him to put a skirt on her before she kissed his cheek.

“See, you used to love us once upon a time.” He laughed, giving her a wink.

“I always love you guys!” Hana scowled, sticking her tongue out at him before she went over and sat on his lap and kissed his cheek. “See? I love you!”

“I love you too, sweetheart.” He laughed, giving her a kiss and ruffling her hair.

“Appa!” She whined when he messed up her hair. “You messed up my hair!”

“What? You just took a shower, it’s all wet anyway!” He said, confused.

“Umma, explain to him why he messed up my hair!” She complained to me, causing me to laugh.

“This is exactly what I meant when I said you used to love us! You never used to mind that!” Jonghyun joked.

“I grew up!” She reminded him.

“Trust me, baby, we know.” He sighed, sadly.

“Hey,” She said, her face softening when saw his sadness. “I’ll always be your baby girl.”

“I know, princess, I know.” He smiled at her. “Now, go to bed, it’s already ten!”

Hana got up with a smile, kissing us both goodnight, bounding down the hall to her room. We both knew it was going to be a while before she actually fell asleep.
“You know, sometimes I really miss her being a toddler.” Jonghyun sighed as he pulled me into his lap.

“Me too, me too.” I sighed a sigh that was as equally sad. It wasn’t that I didn’t love watching her grow up, because I did, but I missed my little girl. Sometimes, she would let me do her hair when she was having trouble, letting me relive the times when I would sit her on the counter while I did her hair, her legs swinging back and forth as waited patiently for me to finish so she could go play.

We both stayed like that for a while, each of us reminiscing of the times when she was little, both of us knowing that soon she would be graduating and leaving us for good. Finally we got up, going to our own room to go to bed. On the way, I stopped briefly to check in on Hana, something I did out of habit every night when she was fast asleep. Just like every night, she was curled up in the fetal position facing me, her teddy bear clutched close to her chest. It made me smile knowing that she still loved that bear. Eventually I made my way to Jonghyun, falling fast asleep in his arms almost as soon as my head hit my pillow.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

E/N:

So as you can tell, it's just me tonight. Nikki is really busy studying for two tests and working on  a project right now so she doesn't have time to write a note. Actually, this note is going to be really short, mostly because I'm really sick right now so I don't  have the energy to write anything long, I kinda just wanna crawl into a hole with the five blankets I'm curled up in and sleep forever at the current moment. So long story short, she did a big time skip here, but she was busy and lazy and stressed so I'm not gonna blame her. I did enjoy the flashback and the whole dino thing I was impressed because she definitely had to look that up. Hana is growing up so fast though, and as the editor I kinda feel like Key and Jjong cause she's sorta become Nikki and my baby since we've written/edited more than 50 pages of her story (both stories combined of course).

Alright then, thank you to our readers, subbies, upvoters, and commenters. We love you all!

 

Picture Spam (editor edition...this is gonna be interesting....)

andhowdoyoufeelaboutit.jpgImage-46.pngjongkey_macro_by_nawtallyaww_xo-d367mdf. You are now, jjong

shinee_macro__jongkey_twins___by_xrinnn-tumblr_mka10h8Ba81s7k5b4o1_500.jpgImported_Picture_24mediatumblr_web-largeLOVEJKNEW_original.jpgjongkey__s_phone_by_hyukshik-d5m9pbn.jpg This always makes me laugh