Spark

Orbit

July 2011

 

Yongguk officially meets Daehyun for the first time a week before he is to be formally introduced to the rest of B.A.P as their final member. He is told he will be another vocalist alongside Youngjae, and after being told to bring Daehyun up to speed he is left alone with the boy in the small meeting room they had been called to.

 

Daehyun is a tiny little thing, slightly shorter than Yongguk and lean. His face is small, framing a regal nose, large eyes, and probably the plushest mouth Yongguk had ever seen in person. Something in Yongguk stirs as he takes in the image of the teenager, wearing a shirt two sizes too big that nearly covers his hands. The rest of his clothes are similarly plain and slightly loose, and the older man wonders just how old the other is.

 

Yongguk is startled out of his reverie when the boy speaks, his voice deep, but soft, as he bows and introduces himself.

 

Yongguk does the same and the immediate cloud of discomfort that settles makes him sigh. Adding a new member at this point is going to be an adjustment, and he isn’t sure how the others will react to the news.

 

“I’m sorry, Yongguk-sshi.”

 

Yongguk blinks.

 

Daehyun’s hands are clasped firmly together and he his lips nervously before speaking again. “I know you weren’t expecting this. I wasn’t really expecting it either. I’ll work hard though, I promise. I won’t hold you guys back.”

 

His words tumble out in a rush, and Yongguk hears the distinct lilt to his tone. “Busan?”

 

Daehyun nods slowly, hesitant, as if Yongguk will scold him any minute. “I came up to Seoul a year and half ago.”

 

Yongguk knows people who have been trainees for much longer, including much of BAP. He must be good, Yongguk thinks, or at least he hopes he is. He really doesn’t want to find out that Daehyun was added as another visual or something. Himchan will have a fit.

 

Yongguk realizes belatedly that his silence must be unnerving for the boy, and he’s been told his face is scary enough, so he smiles gently. “I like it. Your accent, I mean. And don’t look so nervous, I’m not angry. You’re right, it’s just a shock, is all.”

 

The tension in Daehyun’s thin frame seems to thaw, and he smiles a little before speaking again.

 

“Yongguk-sshi-”

 

“Hyung.”

 

The smile widens minutely, “Yongguk-hyung. I’m not really sure how this is supposed to go…”

 

“Let me hear you.”

 

A blink. “What?”

 

“Sing. You’re a vocal right? So let me hear you sing. I’ll need to know what I’m working with. Afterwards we can grab some food and get to know each other.”

 

Daehyun seems nervous, but he perks up at the mention of a meal and agrees. Yongguk leads them to one of the soundproof practice rooms and takes a seat on the floor as Daehyun plugs in his ipod and pulls up an instrumental. The piano intro to 4MEN is easily recognizable and Yongguk is tempted to frown at the predictability. Until Daehyun begins to sing.

 

Yongguk hates cheesy. He’s a sensitive guy, yes, and emotional even if he doesn’t show it, but cheese makes him squirm. So describing Daehyun’s voice as angelic would typically fall into the category of Things Yongguk Does Not Say Ever, if it weren’t the only word to describe what Yongguk heard. Yongguk isn’t sure he believes in angels, but if they did exist, he was sure God would use Daehyun’s voice as the template.

 

Daehyun’s voice is soft when it needs to be, and strong when the notes soar. His voice climbs easily, and there isn’t a note out of tune. Yongguk is impressed. As the song comes to a close Yongguk nods in appreciation and claps as he stands to lean against the wall.

 

“You’re very good, Daehyun-ah. Is pop music your main vocal style?”

 

Daehyun shines a little at the praise and nods. “I like R&B and Pop, mostly. But I’ve been practicing other styles too. B.A.P is supposed to be rougher, right? More hip-hop and rock?”

 

Yongguk taps his feet absentmindedly, “Yeah…your voice is very strong though. It could work.”

 

Daehyun fiddles with his hands for a bit and rocks on his feet, chewing his bottom lip nervously.

 

“What is it?” Yongguk asks.

 

Daehyun starts as Yongguk chuckles lightly, “You’re entire body looks like it wants to speak when you want to say something.”

 

Daehyun is surprised that Yongguk had begun to read him so easily and he forces himself to calm down as he shakes his head. He can’t possibly tell Yongguk that he had spent the last few days pouring over all of Yongguk’s old music, entranced by the baritone that flowed across each song. “It’s nothing, hyung. I’m just nervous.”

 

Yongguk shifts and sighs lightly. “There’s a lot of work to do still. B.A.P’s music will be quite a bit different, and you’ll have to learn to dance as well. We only have half a year to debut.”

 

Half a year. Daehyun is torn between excitement and numbing fear, but he reminds himself that he chose this path and that he has what it takes to stay on it. “Yes, hyung.”

 

Yongguk observed the boy for a bit, “This will be hard on you. I won’t lie. You’re a little behind, and the others are good kids, but you know how this business is. They might be wary at first, especially Youngjae. Don’t take it personally.”

 

Daehyun nods resignedly, he had expected as much, but he looks back up at Yongguk with sharp eyes. “I know, hyung. But this is what I’m meant to do. This is what I have to do. I’ll do anything to make the others see that, I can do it. I promise.”

 

For the first time, Yongguk sees a spark in the younger’s eyes, a glint of the same passion and determination he had seen when he met the others. The same spark that warmed him to the idea of being in an idol group with the young men TS had put together. This time, his smile is warmer.

 

“I don’t doubt it, Daehyun-ah. Now, are you hungry?”

 


I just had to add this picture b/c look at tiny Dae!

tumblr_lzk608P0861r6dhc9.png