Chapter 2: Reality? A dream?

Why Did it Take So Long to Find Me?

I said yes... Not knowing what to; I replied with yes. My boss said:

- Come to my office.

    I stood up. Oh my God!! Is this real? Am I really getting a chance to go to Korea? Am I? Really?! I glanced over my mismatched socks and grinned. What did it matter if you wore mismatched socks?! Psh!!

      Not seeing anything I went to the boss's office. His office was a typical office of a cold classic Englishman. It had nothing special; bare walls, classic brown sofas, and a huge classic brown desk. His desk was so tidy I felt like it was laughing at me. Compared to my desk at home this was magical. I suddenly remembered David Copperfield entering Salem House when he thought every object talked to him. Every object in Mr Adams' office spoke of luxury in a classic prestigious way. Every little detail screamed English and every organised part mocked my house (the one room I occupied that is).

    How ironic and weird!! How could I notice all the details in the room when I even couldn't grasp the situation?! Got to focus my dear...

    When I sat down my boss simply handed me a paper. I slowly took the paper and read the title: Exchange Programme between Adams and Co. and 대한 group. I peeped at Mr. Albert who kept watching me in silence. I read down. In a nugget; the two enterprises decided to exchange employees and experiences. With Cambridge as the alma mater of Mr Adams, the two groups agreed on a business and educational exchange. The chosen employees would study and work in the other country. That sounded good; a great idea it was. I simply thought loudly when the eyes behind the glasses kept fixed on me. So I asked:

- The idea is great. What should I do about it?

- The employee who'll go there will represent our company and England

- So?

- Can you do that?

- Can I do what?

   Then I paused for a second. Wait!! 설마!!!!

I glared at him in disbelief and he simply nodded his head

- You're picked to go there? Can you do it?

I, the lazy girl who's forever late and negligent. I, who got the job because her dad was the CEO of a grand enterprise in London, I, who knows about business management as much as she knows about Chinese -and maybe even less-. I, who was a literature maniac but wandered the streets after graduation not finding a job to cool down her thirst, I, who came to work everyday only because she needed the huge salary she received. I was picked for the programme!!!

    After the shock I tried to organise my thoughts. Something was amiss. I wouldn't have gotten that by my own ability. And then it flashed in my mind. It was my dad.

I felt a smirk walking its way to my lips. It brought a lump to my throat; the notion that it might have been my dad.

- It was dad, right? I asked.

For the first time that day Mr. Albert's expression changed. He raised his eyebrows and reclined in his chair. Then he wore a smile I knew he rarely wore. For seconds that felt like hours he stared at me; reclining in his huge chair. Then he lent forward and shook his head saying:

- For the 1st time in the three years you've spent here; you're getting something with your own skill. The choice has nothing to do with CEO Peterson. He doesn't even know yet. Your obsession with Korea and the Korean language has led you here. I couldn't ignore your posts on Facebook. Though I didn't understand Korean I could tell how much attached to it you were. Watching you always tardy to work because of reading a Korean book on the bench in the yard or delaying your work because of a musical show wasn’t something I could ignore. I knew your heart was never here but I was in no position to interfere. Now that the chance has come, snatch it. You can live in Korea, work, save money and even study. You can pursue your studies in the literature you've always loved. A deal, isn't it?

     I couldn't believe my ears. Was it a dream? The sweetest dream ever? I didn't want to wake up but Mr. Albert kept staring at me until I realised it wasn't a dream. No way would my boss pop out in my dreams. So it wasn't dad. CEO Peterson is my dad and yeah I go by my Korean name. It was I who got the opportunity and I wouldn't waste it for the world. I straightened up, breathed in and summoned my courage:

- I'll give my best sir.

I saluted. Mr Adams beamed. It was the first time seeing that smile on his face. He contemplated me with crossed arms then said quietly, measuring every word of his:

- Nice to meet you Ms Chohwa. This is really the first time I meet you. I can tell now what Mr. Peterson meant by introducing you as the liveliest young woman ever. Now I've met her when about to leave. Go now.

I went out, dazed into the dream that was coming true and the words that my 38-year old handsome charismatic classic boss said. I closed the office's door behind me and sank to the floor. Korea... Super Junior... Kangin…