Chapter 41: Day 21

Why Did it Take So Long to Find Me?

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was YoungWoong's innocent smile. He was clinging to my shirt as if to hold me from running away. I looked at him for a second and thought how nice it was to make someone happy and how regretful I was at that moment.

The children helped us making breakfast and the sandwiches turned out SOO nice. YoungWoong was so lively he kept jumping around. He got along with the members really well. Mysteriously he got on the most with Kangin. Kangin was well-known for liking children and children eventually came to like him. Even when I told Youngi I was going to the director to discuss some matters he didn't really mind being all busy pretending to be a horseman; Kangin of course being the horse.

The adoption procedures were not all that simple but the director assured me that she'd make sure I'd be able to take Young with me at the end of our visit. I wasn't in much haste though.

I finished the talk and walked out of the building to where everyone was involved in different games. A hand grabbed my wrist. I turned and SeungHo there stood; his eyes ablaze.

- Let go! It hurts!

- What do you think you're doing?

- I said let go!

He didn't. He kept grasping my hand and it really hurt.

- I won't until you tell me what the hell is going on with you

- What?

- What's with the sudden adoption?

- I don't know either. It turned out that way

- Are you kidding me?

- No. SeungHo-ya let go please

He let go suddenly and I fell to the ground. He was obviously mad but I had no idea why. If that reaction was made by Kangin or Yesung I would understand but why SeungHo. I offered my hand and asked him to help me up but he didn't.

- Yesterday, only yesterday you linked my arm and got jealous of Ara and all; only hours before that insane announcement. And you want me to believe what happened? You want me to accept it calmly like your friends or play around with the kid like Kangin?

I faced him. I was getting annoyed.

- I don't think you have the right to yell at me like that and ask for explanations. We're not even that close!

 

She was right. We were not even that close but why was I so unnerved. What was making me so angry? What made me lose sleep last night?

 

- I'm sorry I yelled. It's just. We agreed to date didn't we?

- We agreed to pretend to. You offered your services and I accepted them and that was all. I didn't even have time to use them.

He stared at me and his eyes screamed; hurt. He was hurt and I didn't know why

- Forget it. Just forget it. I had my hopes up and was enjoying myself. I'm the one at fault.

He mumbled and walked away. I felt so uneasy.

 

As I was trying to figure out what SeungHo meant Young came running towards me pulling Kangin behind him. That sudden friendship wasn't that comfortable for me.

- Eomma; screamed Young

I have no idea if I'll ever get used to the sound of that word!

- Oh!

- Do you know what appa gave me?

- Appa??

What did he just say?? What is wrong with my ears today??  

- Mmm appa

He said confidently and raised Kangin's hand. I looked at Kangin puzzled and he grinned from ear to ear. Something felt a bit off; a lot off.

- What does that mean Young?

- He's your boyfriend so of course he's my dad. No?

Holy Jesus Christ!! Bloody Hell!! What was going on with me? Just what crime did I commit in my past life to deserve this?

I was going to deny it but Kangin kept shaking his head. Yeah I guess we must have some adult fight here. Noah was passing by so I called him

- Will you please take Young and play with his other waesamchons?

 

Other waesamchons? What's with ''others''?

- Eomma! Is this ahjussi your brother?

The troublemaker kid asked. Chohwa and with a smile on her face nodded saying:

- Keurom. He's my twin; Noah waesamchon. So go play with him and with Donghae and Kibum waesamchons. We have to talk here.

- Ne

And I was pulled aside by the kid. As Young was chattering away it struck me. Ah!! So I'm his waesamchon now!! In less than a day I transformed from a guy working on his crush to the uncle of his crush's adopted son. What kind of irony was that?!

 

I took a deep breath before starting my attack. I was planning to tough the situation out.

- So what was the appa thing all about?

- I told him I was your boyfriend so I was his dad

! I felt that I was about to have a !

- Wh..what is that supposed to mean?

- Were you planning to use your last name to register him?

- Yup. Wae?

- Waa!! And I thought you were clever and considerate but you turned out to be neither

- What do you mean?

- So instead of being cast out as an orphan you plan to have him treated as the son of a single mother? You know what happens to those kids when they go to school in our AWESOME society!

I never thought of that. I had no time to think of that. And I found myself suddenly helpless.

- Keurom?

- Keurom I'll give him my last name. He'll be Kim YoungWoong. There's only an additional ''g'' you see. The father is Kim YoungWoon and the son is Kim YoungWoong. Perfect!

- Wait wait. I'm not following up. So you mean we'll adopt him together?

- Exactly. As a couple

What is this guy rattling away? What couple?

- Oppa, I seriously don't understand what you're talking about

- Let me make it simple. We'll give Young a family; you're the mother and I'm the father

- And?

- And?! 결혼 하자.. 우리

결혼 하자.. 우리결혼 하자!!!!!!!!!!! Get married!!!

- What did you just say?

I freaked out

- I said let's get married

- HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?

I was about to break down. Either the whole story of Young is a dream or Kangin oppa has lost his mind.

- I haven't. I'm perfectly ok and I'm giving you the perfect scenario. I honestly like Young well enough and I don't want him to live unhappily again. He likes me back. And it's not like you and I hate each other or anything.

Of course we don't. I realised last night that you are the love of my life. This is more of a dream; the sweetest dream. But in reality it doesn't make sense.

- Oppa calm down. I understand what you're saying and it's a great idea but... Marriage?? Talking about it like it's something simple!

- Why? It is. I already talked to my family and the company

- Mwo? Talked to them? About what?

  - About you

The world keeps spinning around these days. I felt dizzy and about to fall. I took oppa's arm

- Let's sit down and talk oppa

After few moments I turned to him.

- Oppa; pinch me

- Why?

- Because I think I'm dreaming now

- Shall I kiss you instead?

- OPPA!!!!

- Sorry.

- What should we do now?

- Get married

- Oppa!

- Do you have other solutions?

I thought and thought over. As oppa said, that was the perfect plan.

- Ok. Good. Let's get married

 

I really believed it was the perfect and the only solution and I really liked Young and wanted to make him happy. The marriage idea came to mind as I was trying to figure out what to do after the previous night's sudden declaration and it came to me as the craziest idea ever but I liked it. I suggested it while every part of me shook. Cold sweat was running down my spine. I expected a slap or two. But she actually accepted it. When she said let's do it, my mind stopped and I could think of nothing.

- Why? Are you pulling out now?

I gazed at her round eyes staring up at me and fought the urge to kiss her. It would ruin everything

- Of course I'm not

- But!

My heart started pacing

- But?

- It's only a contract marriage; for Young

My heart dropped. That wasn't what I was planning

 

I had to say that to prevent myself from falling into his arms right then and there. I was sure about my feelings but not about his. That was the best thing I could think of.

- Let it be. As you like

I felt a bit disappointed. It would have been better if he argued a bit

 

We decided to tell the guys after Kibum's birthday. We had a big bash. The kids enjoyed it the most. It wasn't what I planned for and I felt down. Robert also hadn't sculpted the piece so I had no gift to give Kibum. He claimed to have enjoyed the party. It turned out much better than I expected anyway.

After we sent the kids to sleep we gathered the guys

- Actually we have something to tell you guys

I nudged Kangin but he gestured me to start. I hated him.

- Actually… mmm… The thing is…

- We're getting married!!

Kangin cried on top of his voice

- MWO???

Everyone screamed in unison

 

I must have been a serial killer in my past life seriously!! Why do I only get punished these days? Why do I only get hurt these days? And what's this unbearable pain?

 

- Stop joking and tell us what you want to say

Leeteuk stated after few moments of the shock

- This is what we want to say. Right Chohwa?

It was getting hot. I'm crazy I'm crazy!

- Yeah right. We're getting married so we want you guys to bless and help us

 

While the guys still in disbelief talked all at the same time and were all over the place, Yesung oppa was sitting away staring at the space. I wanted to go to him but dared not. I felt so guilty and so… empty but I could do nothing about it. I just gazed at him and let the pain evolve my heart.

 

- So what are you planning to do?

Heechul oppa asked after everyone realised we were serious

- We have to look for an apartment first

Damn it Kangin!!

- We have to register Young in a school, book a wedding date

- A WEDDING!!

I jumped out of my place

- Chohwa-ya; were you planning to marry without a wedding?

Kyuhyun seriously looking surprised asked. When the word wedding was mentioned it started to feel real and it made my flesh crawl.

- I'm sorry I just haven't thought about it

I sat down trying to compose myself. Kangin continued

- We need to book a wedding hall

Sungmin cut him short

- Leave it to me. I'll arrange the wedding. When do you want it though?

- Next month

Kangin oppa has literally lost him mind!

- Oppa!

- Do you want Young to go to school before we even got married?

Why is he suddenly so thoughtful??

- Cool, then Sungmin will take care of the wedding

- I'll see to the apartment.

Siwon confidently stated

- Great, and the school

- We have to do that ourselves oppa

- Right

 

I lay beside Young and could think of nothing. Whatever will be will be.