Letting Go

Unforeseen Harmony

 

 

NARRATOR

 

The sun was already setting, still both minds were preoccupied with work. Daehyun was his chin in an attempt to scrutinize the new blueprints and report sent to them. Nara sat across hi, blowing a raspberry as she observed.

“Why in the world are we working overtime, anyway?”

Daehyun looked up, bafflement painted on his face. Nara’s lips curved into a lopsided grin. She stood up almost excitingly and exhaled. “I mean, today is Friday, right? We should not kill ourselves with work. I’m sure this can wait.”

A low chuckle erupted from Daehyun’s throat. He shook his head in amusement. “I never knew the dragon lady can think of this.”

She playfully socked his arm. “I can be fun too!”

“Oh really?” He mocked.

She grunted and walked towards the desk to retrieve her purse. “Oh you don’t challenge me, Mr. Jung.” She grinned and dragged him out. He followed, his eyes trailing from her back to her grip on his wrist. A smile unconsciously tugged on his lips.

“Show me what you’ve got.” He murmured.

 

“Since we’re working with each other, it’s just right for us to be friends.” Nara nodded to herself. Daehyun smiled warmly as they walked the streets of Apgujeong.

He observed her side profile and smiled inwardly. “I’m honored.”

“You don’t have to be. I mean, for me, it’s not all business. That’s not good. I know we need to be professionals, but it’s nice to know a person more. That way, it’s easier to work with him or her.”

Again, a smile curved on his lips. It was no doubt he was smiling all throughout. “Are you sharing your ‘how to be a successful business tycoon’ guide with me?” He raised one brow.

She giggled. “You can say that.” She added a wink that made him skip a beat. He shook his head and inwardly scolded himself. *I’m being weird.*

“Oh, that’s the new donut shop everybody is talking about!” She giddily jumped. His eyes trailed on the shop across the street. “Ooh.”

Before he could notice, Nara was already prancing across the street like a little child. He again chuckled to himself. “She’s such a kid.”

He followed her, when he noticed a rushing vehicle towards her direction. His heart beat faster as he ran to push her to the sidewalks. Together they collided with the cement.

“Are you okay?” He asked breathlessly.

She blinked and just looked back at him. Daehyun stood up and pulled her up effortlessly. “Nara-sshi? Are you okay?”

She exhaled slowly. Her forehead creased. “Why did you do that?” She asked, her voice cracking. He looked confused. “You were close to being hit…”

“Exactly! You put yourself to danger because of me!” She retorted, creases on her forehead. She closed her eyes briefly. “You shouldn’t have done that.” She mumbled.

Daehyun felt himself heat up. “And what, let you get hit?”

“You could’ve been in trouble. What if you were hit?”

He shook his head. “I wasn’t.” He turned around, stretching his arms. “See, Nara-sshi? I’m perfectly fine.”

She bit his lip, her emotions fighting inside her. “Still. If you were hit, I’d live a life blaming myself. I’d be drowning in a pool of guilt.” She seethed.

He looked at her face closely. “W…what?”

“Nothing. I need to go.” She mumbled and turned away from him. He called out, but she just gave him a curt nod and walked away.

 

Tears rapidly streamed down her face as she entered the condo unit. Memories flashed on her head like a slideshow.

“Am I that reckless?!” She fell on the carpeted floor, her hands grasping her hair. The familiar scent of the room filled her nostrils. “Why do I keep on harming people?” She whispered faintly, her shoulders shaking violently.

She was devastated. She was frustrated. She felt bad. She blamed herself. She didn’t want anyone hurting because of her. She didn’t want another him. She didn’t want another memory. The pain and guilt she was feeling was enough for her, she didn’t want to add up to the burden already eating her inside.

 

Luhan sat by the window, chewing in her lower lip.

“Hmmm she’s late.” He sighed. He was again waiting for the voice. Her hair was slightly disheveled from the day’s work, and he was not in the mood to do anything to suit himself. He just wanted to hear her.

But hours passed and the window never opened.

Possibilities were now running through his wide imagination, but more, he felt worried. He never knew the owner of the voice, but listening to her every day made him feel like he knew her. He felt like he was someone close to her relations.

Like they shared something in common.

He tapped the windowsill patiently, until he could only worry like a madman.

It was the first time she missed.

 

“Na? Na, are you there?”

Nara slowly opened her eyes, a yawn escaping her dry chaffed lips. She scanned her surroundings and sighed. Again, she didn’t come home and stayed at the condo.

“Na? Na please if you’re there, open up.”

Her eyes darted to the door. She forced herself up and groggily walked towards the door. She pressed some buttons and it opened.

Jaejoong looked at her swollen eyes, and he pressed his lips into a thin line. “Were you crying again?” He chided softly as he stepped inside. She didn’t respond and avoided her brother’s gaze.

Jaejoong sighed and pulled her to his arms. He comfortingly drew circles on his back. “It’s also hard for us to see you constantly hurting, Na. You can’t live a life pretending your happy. You need to move on. I’m sure Minjun wants you to move—“

She abruptly pulled away and smiled bitterly. “I’ve heard this for thousand times already. Do you want me to continue for you?”

He raked his hair, frustrated. “Na, you’re on the completely wrong mindset.”

“And Oppa, you’re on the completely wrong place. You can’t dictate what I do.” She turned away and faced the enourmous window.

Jaejoong closed his eyes briefly and sat down. “You know what? You’re being selfish! Insensitive!”

“I’m not! I’m not begging for you to feel what I feel. It’s me! I do what I want! And this is my only reminder of Minjun Oppa! I took his life away and I don’t deserve to… to be..”

“Don’t you dare drown yourself in this life, Kim Nara!” Jajoong barked, standing up and balling his fists. He walked to her and held her wrist tightly.

Too tight that it made her wince.

“You are not going to destroy your own happiness.” He seethed. You will live a life different from what you're living now. Not a life of guilt, but a life of gratefulnes and appreciation. A life of happiness. Let Minjun rest eternally in peace. It's been three years!

He dragged her out and closed the door.

She winced endlessly as his grip tightened with every second. “Oppa, it hurts!”

“It really does. That’s reality.” He faced her and slowly let go of her wrist. “Does it still hurt, now that I let go?” he asked softly.

She shook her head, tears already filling her eyes. He gave her a stern look, but his eyes were telling something.

“From now on, you can’t visit this place.”

 

 

____________________________________