Chapter 21

Nct127: Kim Doyoung FADED

Chapter 21

Blink once, blink twice... The first thing Doyoung sees is the white curtain hanging in the corner of the room. The ambiance is different compared to the room he owned in private. 

His eyes travel to the entire surface and realize that he has a big tube covering half of his face. He removed it and tried so hard to lift his arms but only halfway because he felt weak. 

The door opens and a nurse that has been taking care of Doyoung meets his gaze. He smiles awkwardly while the nurse's eyes widen and a surprise scowl appears on her face. She quickly disappears from the door and the next thing Doyoung knows is that Dr. Jin is already in the room doing necessary checks upon him. 


"Everything is normal. I'm glad you're back." He grimaces, eyeing his patient. 

"I feel weak, Hyung," Doyoung mumbled and checked his body, afraid that something was wrong with him. 


"Of course since you've been asleep for a long time." Dr. Jin explained and checked his records. It's exactly one month and three days. His patient vitality turns to normal but the paleness of his skin and fatigue remain in his image. 

"Your brother is so worried about you." Dr. Jin said while watching Doyoung actively listening to him. His eyes aren't bright like they used to be, his skin is white as snow with no prints of blood, his lips aren't pink anymore and there's a bag appearing in the lower part of his eyes. He looks sick and Dr. Jin knows that this isn't harmful but needs time to recover.

"If you think that you can go back to work instantly then think again. You need months to regain what you lost or else you will collapse and God knows when will you wake up again. You sleep for a month, Mr. Kim." Dr. Jin's phrases are flat and frigid. His attention is all for Doyoung who echoes fear while listening to him. 


"H-how about hyung? H-he will be worried... Ugh," Doyoung looks upset and guilty. Dr. Jin also warned him before to be careful because he is sick. 

Dr. Jin looked at his patient, recalling the call from his colleagues, and decided to tell the latter by now. 


"I have a friend overseas and they appear to know more about your sickness. He likes to help you but you need 2 years to heal completely. I did not tell your parents yet and your brother because I was only informed days ago and of course because I know about your work. 

Doyoung's face looks more stressed than before. He thanked Dr. Jin and notified him but he didn't have an answer yet. He is worried about his health but his work is also important to him. Hiatus for 2 years is like saying he quit the group. He didn't know if the fans would take it and also s. 


"Before you think of your decisions, I want you to know that your life is in danger. I will change your medicine again. Nausea will go back but you will not bleed anymore. I'm afraid we're back to zero and you can't take the medicine because you're weaker than you could imagine." Dr. Jin said while patting his patient's shoulder. He put him on the spot because deep inside Dr. Jin wanted Doyoung to heal. And he needs to help himself to achieve it. 

--

That day was chaotic, at least from Kim Doyoung's point of view, because people kept coming to his room. He is already transferred to his private residence and he was with Mr. Baek informing him of the events while he was in a slumber. 


"Today's Taeyong and Mark arrive from US promotions." Mr. Baek mutters and swipes his phone while glancing at Doyoung. 


Doyoung stiffens, hearing their leader's name made him remember the rejection and the night when he was attacked. He didn't know how to take it but he was upset. He feels abandoned and nothing will make him better than to think of it rationally. He was vulnerable and the person he trusted the most, who he thinks of as his home, let go of him... at the moment he needed him the most. The bitter taste did not leave Doyoung and it's suffocating. He still trusts Taeyong but he was hurt, not the first time they fought but Doyoung is sure that those memories will scar him the most. 


--

Late at night when Doyoung is visited by Jaemin and Chenle. Dr. Jin is careful while telling them about Doyoung's condition. Chenle is as usual full of tears. He hugged Doyoung tightly while Jaemin also let himself be spoiled by the older man. They talk about the affairs in the group and how the older members took the management decisions. They smartly told him that the hyungs aren't happy with it and the symphony of their group changes. More people got upset because they did not know the reason for Doyoung's disappearance. The two younger ones have hollow expressions throughout the conversation.


"Hyung... You need to tell them what happened that night." Jaemin mumbled while looking straight into Doyoung's eyes. Chenle looks expectant.

 

"I will, I will call them later. I owe you guys, Thank you so much for coming to me that night." Doyoung smiles and those made the two younger's hearts flutter. Jaemin's eyes remained on Doyoung, wanting to ask more questions but after the nurse told them that it was already late. They bid their goodbyes promising to visit him again. 


Doyoung waves and watches the two close the door. He took his phone that had lots of calls and messages. He first called him brother, he didn't come today because of his work but Doyoung is excited to hear his hyung voice. 


"Hyung..." Doyoung's voice croaks with the pitch of his brother. He heard him whimper and a low sobbing came after. Doyoung was taken aback and silence interpreted their conversation. 


"How's my baby bro? I miss you." Gong Myung wiped his tears and tried his best to cover his face. He was away from the tent but some of the staff looked in his way. 


"I'm okay hyung.... and... I want to see you." Doyoung whispered to his brother. Gong Myung could tell his brother's feelings. He smiles while whispering assurance to Doyoung that he will come to him. 


"I will wait for you hyung..." Doyoung said before ending the call. Those little moments with his brother made Doyoung feel the warmth. He stayed in a daze for minutes before breathing slowly and dialing number. 

Two rings before Johnny answered the call and the first thing that Doyoung heard in the other line was heavy breathing from his older member. 


"Doyoungie?" Johnny's voice is so insecure that Doyoung feels foreign while listening to his hyung. 


"Yes hyung... I'm sorry for calling late." He said, his breath hitch and Doyoung could no longer know how to talk with him. 

 

"Doyoung... Doyoung... Brat, where are you?" Johnny feels nervous while talking to Doyoung alone in his room. He grips his phone tightly hearing the racing thump of his heart. 

 

"Can you come alone hyung?" Doyoung whispered, not sure how he sounded but Johnny noticed how weak Doyoung's voice was. 

 

"Of course. I can drive now. Can you wait for me for minutes? I will surely come."Johnny's voice quivers and Doyoung twitches in how he sounded. 


"Alright hyung. I am waiting for you. I'm in the hospital." Doyoung spoke the name of the hospital while Johnny hesitated. His heart beats faster than before for unknown fear and he feels his head getting dizzy after ending the call. 


He gathered his strength while changing his clothes and prepared his mask, cap, and heavy jacket so no one could tell it was him. He hurriedly recovers the keys and opens the door. 

It's late at night but some of the members are still in the living room watching movies on Netflix. Taeyong and Mark have already arrived but are sleeping in their rooms. Taeil spotted Johnny with his unusual get-up. Yuta and Jaehyun also look at him with confusion. 

"Hyung, are you going out?" Jaehyun asked, his eyes fixed to the tall man with a worried expression. 

 

"Everything's okay?" Taeil asked, Johnny's eyes are dark but he could tell that the tall man is disheartening. He thought that maybe something happened. 


"I-I will meet with Doyoung," Johnny said while his voice was unsettled. He grimaced to the members, who were shocked by his news. 


"Can I go too? Taeil asked. Johnny looks at him wanting to shake his head but the older man's expression shows how worried he was and Johnny has no heart to refuse him. 


"Can we go too?" Yuta stood up, his eyes were all to Johnny but the latter shook his head. 

"People will see us. I still don't know what happened but Doyoung is in the hospital." Johnny muttered. The members' surprised faces shattered. Jaehyun flinches while Yuta's sights are wavering. Taeil remained quiet but anyone could see how anxious the older man was. 


"What do you mean hyung? Is he hurt? W-Why..." 


"I really need to hurry guys. I promise to tell you everything when I come back." Johnny looks at Taeil who just got his jacket from his room. He also put on a facemask and a cap so no one could recognize him. 


"We will wait," Yuta commented while giving them an assuring smile. 


Jaehyun and Yuta watch the members vanish from their sight before closing the door. Silence follows them and Jaehyun quietly sits at the couch fidgeting. 

"Where are they going?"