Chapter 9

The Perfect Gift

“Hello Kibum,” My mother said “Who is this?”

I tensed when I saw her gaze fall on my daughter, I was frozen in place not trusting my legs to hold me up if I tried to walk. I was thankful when Jonghyun let go of my waist and went to stand in front of Hana, obstructing my mother’s view.

I was never close to my parents. They were always too busy with work to spend any decent amount of time with me. Instead, I spent a majority of my time with my grandma. When I had started dating Jonghyun my mother didn’t oppose but she didn’t approve either, same with my father. I may not be close with my parents but I don’t necessarily hate them either. My mother is just unpredictable with her actions often making me worry when I tell her things. I loved my parents but they had some sort of effect on me that makes my blood run cold.

“Well…” I stuttered not sure where to start.

“You know what? I think we should let you three talk.” My grandma interjected, trying to save me. “I think we’ll go for a walk.” She put Hana on the ground, holding her hand, and led her past my mother and out the door. There was an awkward silence, none of us sure what to say.

“So, are you ever going to tell me who that is?” My mother asked me breaking the silence.

“Well, it’s kinda a long story…” I began.

“Spit it out, Kim Kibum.” She was becoming irritated “You have never been one to beat around the bush.” I heard Jonghyun snort, I spun around to glare at him. How could he laugh at a moment like this?!

“Well, Jonghyun and I have been together for several years now, and a little over a year ago we decided we wanted to start a family of our own. And then about four months ago we finally got a chance.” I paused for a moment hoping to gauge her reaction. She just stood there, silently listening to me talk.

“Go on…” She prompted me.

“Her name is Hana, she’s our daughter. Her mother passed away from cancer and her father died in war, a few days before he was due to come back home.” I couldn’t help but feel sad for Alice. Despite the fact that we were able to receive the child we had so dearly longed for from this tragedy, my heart still ached for her.

“Wow.” My mother whispered clearly she too felt for Alice. “That’s horrible. That poor woman. How old is...Hana right?”

“Yes,” I nodded “She’ll be six tomorrow. We thought it would be fun to celebrate it early with Grandma.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about her?”

“I was afraid you wouldn’t love her and I couldn’t subject my daughter to that.”

“Of course I love her, she’s my granddaughter, biological or not.” My mother’s voice was firm.

“She’s not totally….. ‘normal’” I eyed her warily.

“How so?” she scrunched her face in confusion.

“She’s not full Korean.” Jonghyun said for me “She’s white with some Korean mixed in.”

“I see..that’s interesting.”

“White or not, she’s still the sweetest, most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.” My motherly instincts compelled me to say getting me amused looks from both Jonghyun and my mother.

“Well there’s no doubt in my mind that she is honey, she’s your child after all. I’d expect nothing less.” She laughed.

 

I felt myself relax. I felt as though I had dodged a bullet. It was then that I heard the door open. Once again, my motherly instincts reflexively made me walk towards the door and to my child.

“Umma!” She smiled running to me. I crouched down, opening my arms, picking her up.

“Did you have fun with Great Grandma?” I asked her, mouthing thank you at her.

“Yeah!” she said excitedly “I saw a puppy and it’s Umma let me pet it!” I loved how excited she got over the smallest things.

“Wow!” I said back mimicking her enthusiasm “Did you say ‘thank you’?”

“Of course I did.” She rolled her eyes.

“Good girl” I kissed the top of her head “Do you want to meet Grandma?” I asked.

“Grandma?” She started smiling, I realized she had never met her grandparents on either side of the family.

“Yup, so do you?”

“Yeah!” She now had a smile that took up her entire face.

I carried her into the living room where everyone else had gathered. Jonghyun was standing by the entrance to the living room, my grandma sitting down, and my mother sat next to my grandma talking with her. As soon as we walked in the conversation between my grandma and my mother stopped and my mother rose off the couch and walked to greet us.

“Hello sweetheart,” My mother said as she approached us. Hana was getting shy again, so she buried her face into my shoulder and wrapped her arms tightly around my neck. “It’s okay, this is Grandma sweetie.” I reassured her. Slowly, she unburied herself and turned her head so she could meet my mother’s eyes.

“Hi honey,” My mother smiled as she took in Hana’s features.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” She replied, bowing her head, still a little shy but slowly warming up to my mother.

“You’ve done a good job of teaching her manners.” My mother met my eyes.

“Thank you.” Jonghyun answered for me, earning a discrete glare “What?! I only said ‘thank you’!” I just kept glaring. “Okay, whatever.” He finally sighed. I wasn’t necessarily mad, I just liked messing with the dino from time to time.

“Hana, how old are you?” My mom said redirecting our focus.

“I’m five! I’m going to be six tomorrow!” She started to get excited over her birthday again. This happened every time someone asked her how old she was in the past month.

“Wow! You’re going to be a big girl soon!”

“Don’t say that,” I pouted.

“Why?” My mom said confusion on her face.

“Because it bothers Kibum. He gets all upset and then cries when we’re alone. Totally kills the mood.”

“Jonghyun! I do not!” I scowled at him. Okay so I did, but not EVERY time, just most of them.

“Whatever you say, yeobo.” He grinned at me. Stupid dino.

“Umma don’t cry, I don’t want you to be sad.” Hana looked at me innocently. Any irritation I had towards Jonghyun’s comment melted away instantly.

“Oh honey, Umma isn’t sad. Don’t worry.” I kissed her forehead.

“Good!” She chirped in English kissing my cheek “I love you Umma!”

“I love you too.”

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

Hello again! I'm sorry it took me so long to get this chapter up!!! I had a hard time trying to find a good place to end this, and eventually my friend had to end it for me so I could get this up for you today. This is the longest chapter I've written so far, 5 pages and over 1,000 words o_0 I've already started the next chapter and I'm hoping to get that up by this weekend :) I hope you guys like this chapter and the story thus far :) Don't forget to subscribe and comment. PLEASE COMMENT XD Anyway, I think it's picture spam time!!

 

PICTA SPAM!!

Go home G-Dragon, you're drunk XD

<---  Me studying

Angry birds: Exo Edition