Chapter 24

The Perfect Gift

A/N: This is Jonghyun

 

“Hurry up! He’s losing blood!” A doctor shouted above my head.

Where am I? I thought to myself. All I could remember was the sound gunfire and the feeling of Kibum hitting me as I felt immense pain in my abdomen.


Flashback

It was around midnight and Key and I had finally laid down for bed after our “shower”. As I laid down I pulled Kibum to my chest kissing the back of his neck.

“Goodnight, yeobo.” I kissed him again.

“Goodnight, Jjong.” He whispered against my lips, smiling.

I had all but closed my eyes before I heard the door open. I knew what was about to happen before I heard the sweet voice of our daughter.

“Umma, Appa?” I heard her whisper. I sat up, Key whimpering softly as the cool air hit his back. Our adorable daughter was standing in the doorway with her little hand on the doorknob in her frog nightgown and her hair flowing to her shoulders. Her eyes were big and full of tears.

“Aw, Hana, what’s wrong?!” I was instantly out of bed, pulling her into my arms.

“Appa, I had a bad dream.” She cried into my arms. I sighed sadly, she had been having a lot of nightmares lately. I was beginning to worry me.

I picked her up and carried her to our bed. Key was fully awake now, reaching his arms up to take Hana from me. I handed her to him and sat down next to Key, Hana’s hair.

“Shh, baby. Umma and Appa are here. You’re safe now.” Key lulled to her. I just continued to her hair gently, praying she stopped crying; it broke my heart. I adore my precious daughter and to hear anything other than laughter coming from her, breaks my heart. If it was breaking my heart, then Key must be on the verge of tears. I looked at him and I could see that he wanted to cry. I reached out and pulled them both into my lap, wrapping my arms around the two of them, holding my family close.

Eventually, Hana calmed down and Key moved off my lap. I took Hana in my arms and smiled down at her.

“Are you feeling better?” I asked her, kissing her nose.

“A little.” She whispered burying her face in my shoulder.

“Good, let’s go to bed now, hm?”

“Appa?” Hana peered up at me.

“Hmm?” I hummed sleepily.

“ I don’t wanna go back to my bed…” She peeped.

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“Really?”

“Of course baby, come here.” I pulled her into my arms and laid down, pulling the covers up. Key also laid down and I put my arms around him, pulling him close. I felt Key’s soft arm drape gently across my waist as my daughter curled up into a ball, snuggling her face into my chest (she did that a lot, I was starting to think it was a comfort thing) and sticking her thumb into . I kissed both of them and closed my eyes, drifting to sleep with my family in my arms.


“I need an ER NOW!” the doctor shouted above my head.

“ER one is taken sir.” A nurse informed him, I prayed that the first ER was where Key was.

“Well, is ER two open?!” He shouted impatiently.

“I’ll check.”

“I swear to God, Lee, sometimes nurses don’t think anything through.” The doctor growled.

“ He’s new, Kwon.” Another doctor said, on the other side of my head. I’m assuming that doctor’s last name was Lee.

Flashback

“I don’t know about this….” Key said, his arms crossed in front of me.

“Calm down, yeobo,” I told him, wrapping my arms around him, kissing his neck gently. “It’s for the best.”

Our daughter sat in a chair in front of us, staring at her reflection in a large mirror as a stylist curled her hair. Lately, Jiyong had been spending a lot of time with Hana, and this caused a few neitzens to start rumors that she was his love child. This just about set my already over dramatic diva of a husband free. He was absolutely livid, and Jiyong suggested that she appear on an interview with him so they could clear up the rumors.
“I can’t believe they won’t let me do my own daughter’s hair.” He growled, eyes locked on Hana “She’s
my daughter, I think I can do her hair!”

“Shh,” I rubbed my hands up his arms. “They’re just doing their jobs. You should know that, you used to do this you know.”

“Yeah I know…” He breathed.

“Umma, Appa, look!” Our almost six year old daughter came running up to us, her smile glowing, and her hair in cute little curls, a little bow tied on the left side. She reached her arms out and Key picked her up instantly, smiling back at her.

“Wow, isn’t our daughter pretty?” he tickled her nose, getting a giggle out of her.

“Well of course she’s beautiful,” I said to them both “She is our daughter after all. I’d expect nothing less.” I kissed her cheek.

“Mr. Kim?” One of the crew said from the doorway, causing Key and I to turn around.

“Yes?” I asked for the two of us.

“It’s time to mike her, she’s going on soon.”

“Alright.”

After she was miked, the host asked the burning question about Hana. If you didn’t know Jiyong or any of the members close enough, you’d have a hard time noticing the little spark of happiness that suddenly lit up their eyes.

“So, I heard that you had a surprise that pertained to the rumor?” The host questioned him. Beside me, Key grumbled a not-so-nice comment under his breath, not loud enough for Hana to hear but I knew him well enough to know he was not saying something nice.

“Ah, yes I do.” Jiyong said with a smile almost as big as the one that I swear, was permanently stuck to Daesung’s voice. “Just one moment.”


Jiyong walked off stage and right up to us. He smiled and ruffled Key’s hair. I snickered because I knew that if we hadn’t been backstage in the middle of his interview the poor man would be dead. He looked down at Hana and smiled.

“Ready, kiddo?” He asked leaning down and pulling her into his arms.

“Yes, Uncle Jiyong.” She said excitedly causing him to laugh.

“Don’t be nervous, you’re  uncles are all here with you.” He told her gently.

“Okay!” She smiled.

“Thank you guys.” Jiyong said, looking us both in the eyes. I nodded my head and smiled.

“You better bring her back exactly as she is now!” Key said a dangerous look in his face making me snicker to myself.

“It’s an interview, Bummie, not the Olympics.” Jiyong rolled his eyes and walked back out to the platform smiling and whispering something to Hana causing them to both laugh. We could hear the fan girls erupt in a frenzy of squeals and screams when they saw the little child in Jiyong’s arms.


“Where’s Jung when you need him?!” Dr. Kwon called. I could barely register his voice in my head.
“He’s in ER one with the other Mr.Kim.” A nurse said.

“Damn!” The doctor shouted, ripping off my shirt. I faintly thought about how if they did this to Key, he’d be complaining up a storm, injured or not.

“Wait,” Another doctor said from somewhere else in the room. “Wasn’t he supposed to be with the patient’s daughter?”

“Yes,” the nurse said “But we lost her. I was there.”

“Really?” Dr. Kwon said, his voice dripping with regret and sadness.

“Yes, I she had a lot of bleeding in her brain, and we couldn’t stop it before she went completely braindead. I’ve never seen  Jung cry like that.”

“She must’ve been special.”

“Her family was special. She was adopted a few years ago. It’s heartbreaking that one evil woman could possibly kill an entire family.” The nurse said sounding on the verge of tears.


The news hit me like a semi truck. I had lost my daughter. I had lost the thing that held me to this Earth. My child had become the center of the world. Nothing in this world, besides Key, meant more to me than her. The moment I saw that precious face I was wrapped around her little fingers. My fatherly instincts, just like Key’s motherly instincts, kicked in immediately. I had the undeniable urge to pick her up and keep the world at bay, not wanting anything to hurt her. She meant everything to Key and I, and I prayed that Key didn’t know. He’d be absolutely heartbroken, just like me.


I knew I gave her permission to leave should she need to, but still. I just couldn’t believe that she was gone. A little part of me had always hoped that she would stay with us, no matter what. I wanted my daughter to stay with me more than anything in the world, more than I wanted air to breathe. She was my whole heart and soul. She was my daddy’s little girl, I wanted to spoil her with gifts and love. I wanted to sneak her out when she got older to take her to movies when it was past her bedtime, I wanted to scare the living out of her future boyfriends, I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs with our family at her graduation,I wanted to comfort a sobbing Key when she left for college. And eventually when she was old enough, I wanted to walk her down the aisle as she got married, and spoil my grandchildren. Now that was all gone. I would never get to do those things.

“Jonghyun…” I heard a new voice call out.


I was supposed to protect my family, I was supposed to be the one to die for them. Not the other way around. It suddenly became hard to breathe, it felt like all the air was gone and I was drowning in sorrow.


I wasn’t supposed to be the one laying flowers on my own child’s grave stone.

Children aren’t supposed to die before their parents.


I wasn’t supposed to bury my little girl.

 

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

AHHH don't hurt me!! I wanted to allow Jonghyun to have his own chapter. This chapter was just as hard to write as the one for Key. I cried like a baby when I wrote this (E/N: I cried like a baby editing this too. Sorry it took me so long, I was hosting possible future students this weekend so it  took me forever). I just..I..idk! It just felt like the story wouldn't be complete with Jonghyun's side of this part of the story. He holds a special daddy spot in my heart. Arg, I'm even struggling to write the note T_T It's just so hard!

On an unrelated note: I'm debating whether or not I should write the story as if Hana had actually lived instead. It'd probably be as long as this one because she'd have to, you know, grow up. So that's my internal debate right now. Should I do it? Ye? Ne? You guys tell me :) (E/N: YE YE YE YE YE! YES! SI! *insert "yes" in other languages here*)

So I know say this every time, but, THANK YOU TO ALL MY SUBSCRIBERS AND READERS AND TO EVERYONE WHO COMMENTS ON THE STORY! I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it's time for everyone's favorite part of my notes! Drum roll please.... (E/N: dadudududududuhhhhhh)

PICTA SPAM TIME!!

tumblr_static_jongkey1.jpg

keep-calm-and-ship-jongkey-16.png <----Clearly not a problem I have.

LOSTBABY.png :'( IM SORRY OKAY?!

junhyung_ships_jongkey_by_playfulfoxjuli EVERYBODY SHIPS THESE TWO

shinee_macro5___jongkey_by_rawrbrittny-d

jongkey__s_rape_status_by_luvyahateya-d4

jongkey_gif_5_by_tokinhafujoshi-d4asnku.

tumblr_m9s7drZ1oh1rs97fco1_500.gif Jjong's face omg!