Chapter 10

The Perfect Gift

The rest of the day went by in a blur. We mostly talked about our lives; Jonghyun’s newest projects (Lord knows that man can’t do just one thing at a time), me adjusting to be a stay at home parent (which wasn’t all that bad, a lot less stressful than styling the artists and I get a lot more sleep and one-on-one time with Jonghyun), Hana’s growth, and so on. It was nice getting to talk to my mother about something we both had in common. Neither of us really had much in common before, I never had much interest in being a nurse or anything to do with the medical profession in general, I was always very interested in fashion whereas my mother didn’t have the time to spend with me much less on fashion. Really the only thing we had in common before Hana was the fact that we both liked men. But now, she and I sat in the living room with my grandma and Jonghyun, laughing as she told me stories about things I had done that were similar to what Hana was doing now.

“There was one time in particular that I remember you drawing all over the walls in your bedroom. I was so furious! But you knew how to use aegyo to your advantage so I didn’t scold you as much as I probably should’ve.” My mom laughed as she recalled the memory.

“I’m sorry! I guess it must’ve seemed like a good idea at the time?” I laughed back.

“It’s okay, I made sure to buy washable crayons and markers for you for that exact reason. What you have to do next time Hana tries to draw on the walls is scold her for drawing on the walls, and tell her why you’re upset, and then take her to the kitchen table and give her some paper and tell her to draw on that instead. It really works, and it allows her to express herself without ruining your walls.” I smiled, I do really think this is the first time that we really sat down and had a conversation that not only lasted more than an hour, and let me feel at ease around her.

By the time we were finished with dinner and cleaning up the dishes, the sun was set and the moon glowed proudly in the sky, illuminating the world below it. Jonghyun and I said our goodbyes, picked up our sleepy daughter and made our way back to the station.

“That went surprisingly well all things considered.” Jonghyun said to me once we had boarded the train.

“Yeah, I wasn’t expecting her and I definitely wasn’t expecting her to have such a good reaction to Hana.” I glanced down at our daughter who was nestled in my arms fast asleep.

“Same. So tomorrow, Minho, Onew and Taemin are all going to come over right?”

“Yup. And I swear, if Taemin and Minho play hard to get again I’m gonna-”

“Ya!” Jonghyun cut me off “You promised, no more matchmaking remember!”

“But, they’re getting ANNOYING, all they do is stare each other down and then pretend like no one else knows they want each other!” I protested.

“I know, and it’s frustrating for the rest of us too, but they need to do this themselves! You know that!”

“FINE.” I huffed

“Good, I love youuuu~” He sang quietly, poking my nose gently

“I love you too.”

 

*The next day*

 

We made it home by 10pm and immediately went to sleep, Hana didn’t wake up once the entire way home.

“UMMA! APPA!” I was awakened by a screaming child, which at first I panicked because I thought she was hurt, until she started bouncing on the bed, shaking us and at some point I swear I saw her pull one of Jonghyun’s eyes open. Smart kid.

“What?” Jonghyun mumbled half awake half asleep.

“Guess what! Guess what!” she was still yelling

“Ummm, it’s way too early to be awake yet?” I slapped the arm he had wrapped around my waist “Ya! What the h-”

“What sweetie?” I cut him off

“It’s my BIRTHDAY!!!”

“We know, how could we possibly forget?” I glanced at the clock on the bedside table. It read 6:05, Jonghyun was right, I was too early to be awake.

“Come here.” Jonghyun told her still half asleep. As soon as she had crawled over to him, he grabbed her by the waist, pulling her onto his chest and rolled over to face me. I just smiled as I looked at my husband clutching our giggling daughter. “How about we sleep for a little bit longer and then we’ll get up to celebrate the most important day of everyone’s life, hmm?” he asked her.

“Alright…” she said reluctantly curling up to Jonghyun which got her a kiss on the cheek.

“Yeobo, come here.” I laid back down facing them and he laid a lazy arm around my waist. I waited until both of them had nodded off to sleep before I got out of bed, doing my best not to wake them, and took a picture. I set my camera back down and crawled back into bed smiling as I fell asleep.

Hana only slept for maybe an hour and a half before she woke up both back up. We both grumbled as we rolled out of bed, knowing that there was no use in trying to get her to go back to sleep. We both went to her room to help her pick out an outfit, while I was helping her Jonghyun came up behind us and tapped her on the shoulder. When I turned around I saw her had a box in his arms wrapped in sparkly (of course) butterfly paper and tied with a yellow bow. I had no idea what gift this was which automatically allowed me to assume it was one that he had bought himself. She squealed and immediately reached for the box.

 

“What do you say?” He reminded her

Please.” She nearly shouted in anticipation

“Okay, here you go.” He handed her the present and went to stand next to me. He held my hand and smiled as we both watched her sit on the floor and try to untie the bow, eventually I decided there was no way for her to manage to untie it so I bent down and untied it for her.

“When did you get that?” I whispered in Jonghyun’s ear when I went back to stand next to him

“Last Friday on my way home from work. I saw it in the window of that store you always go to on one of the mannikins and I thought she’d look really cute in it.”

“You went to Justice to buy her clothes?” Usually he wasn’t a big fan of shopping for clothes, every time we went he would complain to me that she had more than enough clothes to last her a lifetime, but as I always pointed out, she will easily outgrow her clothes in six months since she was about to hit a growth spurt.

“Yeah, it was just too cute and definitely perfect for her.”

“EEEKKK!” We both heard her squeal with happiness when she pulled out her new outfit.

 

I had to admit, I was genuinely impressed with Jonghyun. He had bought her a shirt that was red and black with a white bow that went about halfway down the shirt itself and underneath the shirt was a plain white shirt with a red hood. The sleeves were short sleeved and poofed out, reminding me of a classic Disney princess sleeve. She then pulled out a matching red and black plaid skirt that had a bow made of ribbon stitched into it. It went down to her knees and I could see that it had shorts sewn in, definitely something Jonghyun would look for. He had also bought her a red and black bow, and red sparkly shoes to match. I seriously couldn’t believe that Jonghyun managed to pull that off without my help. I smiled and turned my head to kiss him.

 

“That’s a beautiful outfit, jjong. Thank you.” I smiled

“Well like I said, it was too cute to pass up.” He told me

“Thank you Appa! It’s so pretty!” Hana ran to him, he bent down and picked her up and kissed her.

“You’re very welcome. How about we go get you cleaned up and ready while Umma makes breakfast hmm?” He suggested

“Yeah!”

“Okay,” I laughed and leaned over to kiss them both before walking to the kitchen to make breakfast

.

About fifteen minutes later Jonghyun walked into the kitchen carrying Hana in his arms. She was dressed in her new outfit, a thrilled smile on her face. But what made me almost break into a fit of laughter was her hair. Poor Jonghyun, he did genuinely try. My poor daughter’s hair was braided across the top of her hair, or at least that was the idea. His braid didn’t quite stay across her head and her bangs were dried in every which way. I assumed he didn’t realize she had a cowlick in the front of her head and her bangs had to be blown dry using a round brush.

 

“Oh good God, what did you do to her hair!” I giggled

“What? I think it looks…..I know, I know. I screwed it up. I tried to make it cute though! Maybe you should fix it…” He had an apologetic smirk on his face. Poor guy, I made a mental note to teach him how to braid hair later.

 

After breakfast, I stole my daughter into the bathroom and fixed her hair. I decided to put them into two separate braids to match the plaid school girl look. I put the little bow just behind her bangs on the right side. Once Jonghyun and I had finished showering, we went out to set up for her birthday party. We had invited some of our friends and family and their children. Jonghyun’s mother couldn’t make it but his sister excitedly swore she wouldn’t miss it. She had only met Hana once and it was a fairly brief meeting, but definitely long enough for her to fall in love with our daughter. My brother also was excited to come, he hadn’t had a chance to meet her while he was off in Japan doing one of his concerts. Our whole family were in the music industry in some way, shape, and form. Of course, 2min (as I started to call them, it was basically Jonghyun and my way of being able to talk about them while they were there without their knowing), and Onew were also coming. Just after we had finished decorating, we heard the doorbell. Jonghyun went to answer the door and I could hear the voices of our three best friends at the door.

 

“Ya! Where’s our favorite niece!” I heard Taemin shout as he and Minho came around the corner

“Uncle Taemin! Unlce Minho!” Hana cried running at Taemin and Minho

“Ya! What am I chop suey?!” Onew grumbled playfully

“Uncle Onew!” She shouted pulling away from 2min and immediately running into his arms

“If anything you’d be tofu not chop suey, hyung” Jonghyun joked

“Hey! Do I look like tofu to you?! Nevermind, don’t answer that.”

“You do!” Taemin shouted before grabbing Hana and placing her in front of him as Onew playful lunged and him “Don’t come at me! I’ve got the kid!”

“Ya! Don’t use my kid as a shield!” I shouted

“Sorry Umma.” Taemin chuckled letting her go

“Yeah, you should be!” I winked at them

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

I'm so sorry! I know I promised that I would upload the next chapter over the weekend!! I got really busy this weekend with homework and whatnot. I also decided to make this chapter longer than I originally planned. I just wanted to add a little more Key-Mama Kim interaction but I also knew that it was also going to be boring if I made another chapter with Key-Mom time. I also was debating whether I should write about the party at all, but I figured since I mentioned it a few times in the previous chapters that I needed to write about it. I also saw this as a good 2min building moment :) I also wanted to warn you guys that I have a few more events planned out but that the story is going to start to wind down. 

 

I'm not going to spoil the ending and upcoming events, but I'm going to tell you that both me and my friend are in agreement that there needs to be a little angst type stuff (not necessarily angst but that's the best word for it). She and I are also going to begin working on the last chapter together because that will be the longest one and we don't want to make you guys wait for an obnoxious amount of time so she has already started that and I gotta warn you that it will pull at your heart and you won't see it coming. But it'll be amazing from what I've read so far! This is the only chapter my friend has actually WRITTEN for me and she is very talented so I hope you'll all enjoy the last chapter when it comes time (she's doing her best to make it the writing sound like me so don't be fooled!)!

 

I have already started on the next chapter and hopefully it'll be up around Thursday if not sooner. We shall see I guess. Don't forget to comment and subscribe!!! Okay, time to spam you all with my pictures of awesomeness!!

 

He's not ACTUALLY my bias, I just laughed when I saw it :)

Agh! They all look the same! WHAT. THE. HELL. OTL

Super Junior's Eunhyuk learned how to use photoshop haha