Chapter 14

The Perfect Gift

*Christmas Day*

“UMMMMAAAAA! APPPPAAAA!” I heard an excited shriek and only seconds later I felt a small body throw itself on top of me (and Jonghyun seeing as he was spooning me).

“AGH!” Jonghyun shouted in surprise.

“What in the world?” I said still groggy from sleep.

“Umma!” She shouted at me shaking me “IT’S CHRISTMAS! WAKE UP!”

I chuckled, it had been a long time since I had been around someone who was so excited about Christmas morning. But then again, it had been a while since I was six years old. I was used to people being excited, Taemin was always the antsy and would hurry us along just so he could open his presents, but even Taemin couldn’t hold a candle to Hana. Taemin at least, didn’t come running into our room at some unGodly hour of the morning bouncing around trying to wake us up.

“We know it is, honey, but it’s also…” Jonghyun rolled to look at the clock before he continued. “6 in the morning. Umma and Appa are still sleeping.”

“But, Appa! Santa came!” I couldn’t help but smile at how sweet and innocent our daughter was, I could see Jonghyun’s face soften at her words too.

“I know he did but we have to get a little more sleep okay?”

“But-but” Hana sputtered, clearly not thrilled by the idea of waiting to open presents. Jonghyun pulled Hana into his arms, his usual tactic when she would come and wake us up long before we were ready. It worked everytime, he would pull her into his arms, kiss the top of her head, tell her to sleep, and soon enough she would be out cold snuggled up to Jonghyun. This time was no different, within minutes both of my favorite people were asleep.


Our sleep only lasted another two hours however. Hana’s biological woke her at 8:30 and this time wouldn’t allow her to fall asleep again, and thus, not allowing us to get anymore sleep either. Jonghyun and I rolled out of bed with a sigh. After helping Hana choose a red shirt with matching red pants, Jonghyun went to make breakfast (to both Hana and my surprise and there was admittedly, a little horror mixed in. Jonghyun wasn’t exactly a notoriously good cook.) and I went to shower myself. No sooner had all of us gotten ourselves cleaned up and had fed, did the doorbell ring. Jonghyun was busy playing some weird game he and Hana had invented, so I got up to open the door. The moment I opened the door I was into an uncomfortably tight hug. This seemed to be a theme for me when I opened our door….

“BUMMIE! MERRY CHRISTMAS!” My brother shouted. Of course it was my brother, who else would feel comfortable squeezing me so freaking tightly?!

“Ya! I can barely breathe!” I managed to get out.

“Oh, sorry.” Jiyong set me down and it was then that I noticed Daesung standing awkwardly behind my brother.

“Hey Daesung hyung!” I smiled and waved him inside. Jiyong had mentioned that Daesung couldn’t go home for Christmas, the weather conditions were too bad to fly and even worse if he were to drive, so he was stuck in Seoul and of course I invited him over without hesitation.

“Hey!” He smiled at me, taking off his shoes and following my brother and I into the living room where my dorky husband and my adorable daughter were still engrossed in their strange game.

“What are they doing?” Daesung leaned over and whispered to me not taking his eyes off them.

“I’m not totally sure, playing some game they made up. I’ve been watching them for an hour and I still haven’t figured it out yet.” I told him.

“They would be.” Jiyong added and we all chuckled.

Finally, Hana looked up and noticed that her two uncles had magically appeared in front of her.  She jumped up with a smile that took up her whole face and ran to my brother, who crouched down and picked her up.

“Uncle Jiyong!” She threw her arms around his neck.

“Hey kiddo! Merry Christmas!” He hugged her back.

“Say ‘hi’ to Uncle Daesung, Hana.” I reminded her not wanting him to feel left out.

“Uncle Daesung!” She reached for him and he pulled her into his arms. Just like with my brother she threw her arms around his neck then looked at me. “Can we open presents now?” she begged me.

“No, you have to wait for Uncle Taemin, Minho, and Onew first.” I reminded her.

“They need to hurry up!” She pouted.

“Hey, Hana do you know how to play duck-duck-goose?” Daesung asked her doing his best to distract her.

“No…” She said, her voice laced with curiosity.

“It’s an American game, do you want to learn how to play?”

“Yeah!”

“Ahem,” Jonghyun “cleared his throat” which was another way of reminding her to use her manners.

“...Please.” She amended.

Only twenty minutes later did 2min and Onew show up. Hana greeted them each just as enthusiastically as she did my brother and Daesung. I hoped she would always greet people as happily as she did now, even when she was old and had grandkids.

Please can we open presents now?!” Hana practically begged Jonghyun and I.

“Yeah Umma, can we open presents?” Taemin chimed in.

“Ya, Taeminnie! Aren’t you supposed to be an adult?” I scoffed.

“Yeah, and your point?” He said as innocently as possible. We all just snorted and went to the tree which was now overflowing with presents thanks to the ones our guests brought with them. I sat down on the couch, Jiyong on one side of me and Jonghyun on the other. Onew sat on the floor in front of me, Daesung off to his left, and 2min sat awkwardly to his right. I rolled my eyes at them, you could just feel the rolling off those two.

Hana of course, was shifting through gifts, distributing them to their rightful recipients. Once she had finished distributing gifts, did she park herself in front of her pile and look at us.

“You go first.” She told me with a smile. “Open mine!”

I smiled and found a little box wrapped in blue paper with my name written on it by Hana. I opened it and saw a beautiful gold bracelet, it was plain but it was still a gift from Hana that I would treasure forever.

“Thank you sweetie.” I pulled her into my lap and kissed her.

Eventually we worked our way through all our gifts. Jiyong had gotten new gold shoes with blue stripes courtesy of Daesung, a new watch from Onew, a song written by Minho, and new headphones from Jonghyun and me. Daesung got a new black and green sweatshirt from Jiyong with matching shoes from Jonghyun and me, a giant teddy bear from Onew (some random inside joke they had), and a phone cover with his name and the members printed on it from Minho and Taemin. Wait...I thought Minho AND Taemin, something’s up.  I decided I would definitely grill them about that later. Onew and 2min gave each other random trinkets, Daesung and Jiyong had given them signed copies of their new album that wouldn’t be released until February, and rings with their names engraved in them from Jonghyun and me (Taemin had been hinting at wanting one for months).  Jonghyun had received socks from Jiyong and Daesung making all of us laugh, some comic book that was the next one in a series they were watching from Minho, new shoes from Taemin, and a giant pillow with my face on it from Onew. Wait, WHAT?!

“What in the name of all things good in this world is that?!” I yelled pointing at the pillow while everyone else laughed.

“Yeobo,” Jonghyun laughed “Don’t you remember my tactic on how I was going to sleep when you left me?”

I took me a minute and then realization hit me. “You have got to be freakin kidding me right now. You told them?!”

“Of course I did, we share funny stories like that all the time.” I gave Jonghyun a  we-will-revisit-this-conversation-later look to which he just rolled his eyes and kissed my forehead.

Finally it was my turn to open the last gift. Jonghyun had absolutely insisted that I wait until the very end to open up his. His was a small box wrapped in purple penguin paper (I rolled my eyes mentally, of course he would put penguins on his wrapping paper) and tied together with a white bow. Slowly I undid the bow and opened the present. Once I opened the little box in my hands, I felt tears spring to my eyes. My gift was absolutely, 110% perfect.

Inside the box were three little charms. One was a diamond key clearly meant to represent me, another was a rest note which was definitely meant for Jonghyun, and the charm between ours was a heart with a gold H in the center of it. The three charms were linked together by gold bands representing our family.

“Here, let me help you put it on.” Jonghyun smiled and grabbed my wrist. Now it all made sense, Hana had given me the gold bracelet so I could have something to put my charm on. Once Jonghyun and place the charm onto the bracelet and refastened it around my wrist, I threw my arms around him.

“Thank you so much! Oh my God it’s so beautiful!” I cried.

“I glad you like it.” Jonghyun kissed me.

“I don’t like it, I love it! How could I not?!” I tried my best to wipe my tears away, but Jonghyun leaned over to help me wipe them off with his thumb. “I love you so much, Kim Jonghyun!”

“I love you too, Kibum.” He kissed me again.

I looked over at my family and rose off the couch to retrieve my camera from the coffee table. I turned it on and took two quick photos smiling. The picture was so unbelievably perfect. Onew was sitting trying to figure out one of the trinkets Minho had gotten him, his tongue sticking out. 2min was being, well, 2min. They were smiling at each other while they were engrossed in some platonic conversation but, even in the picture you could feel the tension. These two seriously needed to get together already. Jiyong and Daesung were completely absorbed in playing with Hana. Hana sat in Daesung’s lap while Jiyong read her one of the new books she had gotten from Santa. Daesung and Jiyong were smiling down at her while she pointed to the pictures at the bottom of the page.  And amongst all of them sat my husband on the couch holding up the V sign. I was definitely going to frame and scrapbook this picture.

Once everyone had left after dinner did we put Hana to sleep. It had been a long eventful day and Hana was struggling to keep her eyes open despite it only being 8:30. But then again, she did wake us up at 6 this morning. Once dressed in her favorite frog footie pjs,  and tucked into bed did Jonghyun walk in with her final gift. Despite her exhaustion, Hana’s eyes brightened at the sight of another present.

“Here’s your last gift from Umma and Appa.” Jonghyun told her handing her the present and standing next to me and putting his hands on my shoulders, while I sat on the edge of her bed.

“Thank you!” She smiled opening the gift. Once she demolished the wrapping paper and opened the box did her eyes triple in size. Slowly, a wide smile spread across her face as she reached in and pulled out a brown teddy bear. We had specifically called my brother and asked him to make one for us while in Japan since there was no Build-a-Bear in Korea. We had chosen a light brown curly haired teddy bear. In the hand was a recording of Jonghyun and my voice that I had stitched into it. Hana discovered this and squeezed the hand.  

“Hana, you’ll always be Appa’s little girl right? I love you princess.” Jonghyun’s voice echoed in the room. “Never forget that Umma loves you with all my heart no matter what, my sweet angel.” My voice spoke from the bear.

Hana’s eyes were wide, clearly not expecting that to happen when she squeezed the arm of her bear, and looked up at us.

“I love you too, Umma and Appa.” she managed to squeak out.

I leaned down and kissed her, Jonghyun following suit. We said our goodnights and turned off her light, leaving only her nightlight as the source of light in her room.
“Hana, you’ll always be Appa’s little girl right? I love you princess. Never forget that Umma loves you with all my heart no matter what, my sweet angel.” I heard coming from Hana’s room and Jonghyun and I walked hand in hand to our room. Our voices continued to echo down the hall as Hana squeezed the bear’s hand over and over. I looked up at him at the same time he looked down at me and we both smiled at each other before continuing to walk to our room, our voices following us down the hall.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

YAY! My friend was able to edit this chapter tonight :) (E/N: It took me waaayyyy longer than it should've but I got side tracked in my fangirling and like I said, I have the attention span of a gnat tonight. Sorry). I'm so happy that I made up for the other time that it took me forever to update (E/N: In all fairness, we were pretty fast about updating this fan fic. The longest she's went without updating was like 2 or 3 days. So that's actually fast).

So I'm sure you're probably wonder what's up with the whole E/N thing that just randomly started to show up. As I explained in the last A/N, I'm not actually the one who uploads them onto AFF, that's my friend who's acting as my editor, I just write them on Google docs and then come in and add my note and spam you guys with pictures. So, it seems that my friend has decided that she is going to add her own input into my notes. I can't really say no, she is a huge reason in why I can update my story so quickly (E/N: That sentence makes little sense, but what's she's getting at is that I help things move along quicker). So I think it's only fair to let her add in her comments. So anything that is written in blue is written by her (E/N: I also add the "E/N" which stands for Editor's Note just in case you were confused about that, so it should be pretty obvious when I'm adding in my two cents). Everything that's written in black is me (author).

So obviously this chapter was a ton of fluff (E/N: No kidding, I think I'm dying from fluff overload over here) like the last one, but like I said I LOVE CHRISTMAS (E/N: She's being dead serious. She's like crazy over Christmas. The only real accurate description would be that she basically fangirls when Christmas rolls around. Not that I mind, I got new shoes from her.)!! So I really wanted to have the whole family get together, opening gifts thing. I chose to add Daesung into the mix because, idk I just love that little bundle of joy, he makes me smile when I feel sad (E/N: I sooo wouldn't mind finding him-or all of Big Bang for that matter- under my tree with a bow on his head, when I woke up on Christmas morning ;) just sayin'). I also wrote this chapter because I was laying in bed and I remembered getting my first Build-A-Bear when I was about four with my parents right before they divorced :) I still have it too. Just like Hana's, in it's arm there a recording that says "I love you" (E/N: Nikki-your author's name- actually has two Build-A-Bears. The second was made for her by our friend, Bryten, who we lost to a drunk driver last year. It also has a recording in it's foot of Bryten saying, "Happy 18th birthday! You're not even 4-D, you're like, 10-D sometimes but I love you for that!" and it makes her cry everytime she hears it. I'll admit I even tear up sometimes when I hear it, we just miss him. But I thought that was worth mentioning since that is the REAL reason she threw that in there. The anniversary of his death is tomorrow and I'm positive that's why she thought of her bear). But that's where it came from.

So anyways, I'm hoping to have at least two more chapters up by tomorrow night and I'd love to have four by Monday :) (E/N: Oh God. Well, there goes my non-existant but still possible weekend plans....). Anyways, I hope you're enjoying my story and that I hope I'm not disappointing anyone (E/N: In case you haven't noticed yet, she's a huge people pleaser)! You guys are fantastic!!!!

 

PICTA SPAM TIME!!!!

shinee_christmas___tis_the_season_by_tes Ermagawd I LOVE FAN ART SO MUCH! I love how Key's fixing Jonghyun's costume, and how Taemin's riding on Jonghyun with a candy cane in his mouth like a little kid, and Onew is sitting there just letting it happen 'cause life's all good, he's got chicken ;)

Merry-Christmas-SHINee-shinee-27898362-3

yoona-snsd-the-boys-more-bright-happy-shAwww they so cute!!

merry_christmas_shinee_by_ninjasockcat-d Haha love that Jjong is the deer again, Key's face, and Onew is just happy as can be with his pet chicken!

shinee___merry_christmas_by_aaaarghhhhhh LOL I bet you can guess which one is Jjong and which one is Key XD

3204650utg985kbw8.gif Taemin what are you doing?!