Chapter 2

The Perfect Gift

“Key,” Jonghyun’s voice pulled me back into reality “We’re here!”

 

I smiled, all the waiting, hoping, and praying had lead up to this very moment. We had spent the next two months preparing for the day we could pick her up and take her home with us. We had bought new furniture for her and painted her room robin’s egg blue, her favorite color. I had insisted that we buy at least a few outfits for her despite the fact that we both knew she had plenty of clothes already provided by her mother. Alice had told us that she had been showing Hana pictures of us, explaining that we were her parents. She had immediately identified me as Umma and Jonghyun as Appa. Alice knowing that she was going to die in the early years of her daughter’s life, had decided that she would have Hana refer to her as Aunt Alice. This would make it easier on her daughter when the time came for her to be adopted and when Alice died. Though, we planned on explaining the situation to Hana once she was old enough to fully understand.

 

My heart pounded in my chest as we neared the door to a small but homey one story house where Alice lived. I couldn’t believe that my wish was coming true. I was not only with the man of my dreams but now I was going to have a daughter to complete my perfect family.

 

“You ready?” Jonghyun asked me with a smile that took up his whole face and bright eyes. I knew he was just as excited as I was to finally get to complete our family.

“I couldn’t be more ready!” I smiled back at him.

Jonghyun took my hand and with his other hand, knocked on the white door in front of us. We could hear Alice from inside yell “Coming!” and then we heard the lock on the door turn.

“Jonghyun! Key! Come in!” She exclaimed with a smile on her face.

 

I briefly marveled at the fact that despite everything she was going through, despite all the hardships she had faced, she still continued to wear a beautiful smile on her face. I knew that that smile showed just how brave and strong this seemingly fragile woman was. I hoped that our daughter was just as strong and brave as her mother.

 

“Are you ready to meet her?” She asked us and we both nodded our heads. “Hana! Come downstairs please, Umma and Appa are here!” She shouted up the stairs to her right.

“She’s very excited that you’re finally coming. I’ve been telling her that you two had some work things you had to do before you could come back to get her.” We heard little thumps on the stairs  indicating that Hana was on her way down.

“Here she comes.” Alice smiled

“Umma! Appa!” We heard a sweet little voice shout as a tiny 5 year girl ran at us.

 

She ran up to us and hugged Jonghyun around the waist and then did the same to me.  We both smiled like idiots down at her.

She was absolutely perfect. She had on a pink dress with purple lace at the bottom and on the sleeves and two butterflies in the middle. Her medium brown hair was pulled into two braids on either side of her head with purple bow ties at the ends. She had on white lace socks with little butterflies on them.

“Up!” she told me in perfect Korean putting her arms in the air

“What do you say first?” Alice gently scolded

“Up, please.” Hana corrected

 

I leaned down and took her in my arms, relishing at how perfectly she fit there. I took the opportunity to get a better look at her. She was almost a carbon copy of her mother, with her small, perfect proportioned face, and her long arms, torso, fingers, and legs. Her nose wasn’t quite as sharp as her mother’s and her lips were full and pink, things I assumed she inherited from her father. She also had freckles across her nose, cheeks, and there were even a few on her eyelids and one right above her lip.

 

But what really caught my attention were her eyes. They were absolutely captivating just like her mother’s. They had the same shape, framed with long, thick eyelashes. But what was really stunning about them was the fact that her right eye was the same turquoise shade as her mother’s but her left eye was a deep green. I had never seen anything like it before.  I just stared in amazement, they were mesmerizing.

 

“Umma, I missed you.” She chirped as she wrapped her arms around my neck and snuggled into my shoulder.

The sweet gesture made me want to cry, but instead I just kissed the top of her head and told her “I missed you too sweetheart.”

After a minute, she lifted her head and reached her arms out towards Jonghyun struggling against my hold.

“Appa, Appa!” She chirped still trying to get to him. Jonghyun laughed and took her from my arms into his own.

Hana wrapped her arms around him and laid her head on his shoulder and told him, “I really missed you Appa!”

Jonghyun smiled and kissed her head just like I had and told her he missed her too. She leaned back and with a big smile on her face she proceeded to kiss his cheek resulting in a huge smile from Jonghyun and I.

“Appa you have to see my dollhouse!” She informed him.

“You’re dollhouse? Where is it?” Jonghyun asked her.

“Upstairs, in my room next to my bed! Let’s go!” She was getting more and more excited. Jonghyun laughed and carried her upstairs while mouthing “I’ll be right back” to me. I just smiled and nodded my head.

“She’s sure is something isn’t she?” Alice chuckled

“She’s perfect,” I said “Absolutely, one hundred percent perfect!”  Alice laughed remarking how she already had us wrapped around her tiny little fingers. This got a laugh out of me.

In no time, I heard two sets of footsteps coming down the stairs and into the living room where Alice and I had moved so we could sit down while we waited.

“Umma!” Hana exclaimed “Look, Appa helped me tie my shoes so I can go play on the swingset!”

“Oh he did, did he?” I asked her while I picked her up. Sure enough he had helped her tie her tiny shoes. I had never seen shoes so tiny before we had found out we were going to adopt her.

 

We spent the next several hours playing whatever game she decided we were going to play enjoying every second of it. Eventually, it came time for us to go. It was a bittersweet goodbye for Alice. We could tell that part of her was happy that her daughter finally had a loving family to take care of her, but another part of her was heartbroken that she had to say goodbye to her baby. We had promised that we would visit Alice at least once every two weeks. It seemed only fair seeing as this wonderful woman had made our dreams come true.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

DOUBLE UPDATE!!! I actually have four chapters I have written (I have a lot of free time during work), three of which I have edited and the fourth I am in the process of editing. I know it's not the most EXCITING chapter but when I was going through and editing it I felt like it was a necessary one. I mean, we should at least get to know what Hana looks like right?? Plus, I started the chapter off with them on their way to the house so it wouldn't make sense if they were magically back at their house (they're idols not magicians ;). Sorry, I had to throw that out there ). Anyways,the description of Hana was the hardest part of this chapter for me to write. I wasn't sure what I should make her look like and eventually I just let myself write (I don't really write rough drafts and organizers, I write down EXACTLY -like word for word- what pops into my head. It's hard to explain.) and ended up with that. After I edited the chapter I realized I made her look A LOT like myself (not intentionally though). The eyes, hair color, body type, and some of her facial features are identical to mine. I actually creeped myself out but ended up keeping that description because when I tried to re-write that part, I had a hard time. Okay, enough rambling, it's picture spam time ;)

 

 

Okay, I gotta go to class and I'm going to try to update either tonight or tomorrow but I have a test tomorrow (for a class I haven't been to in 4 weeks thanks to my messed up work schedule) and I have meetings from 2 this afternoon until 10 pm :( Hope you guys are enjoying the story! 2min and Onew are coming soon I promise!