Chapter 8

The Perfect Gift

A few days later we decided to pay my grandmother a visit. It had been a while since I last got a chance to see her and I had yet to tell her about Hana. Though I knew she would be thrilled, I wanted them to meet in person and was a little nervous how she was going to take the news. She had always known I was gay and when I told her about Jonghyun she had demanded to meet the man that would be taking care of her precious grandson.

“Appa, look at all the trees!” Hana said pointing out the window of the train.

“I see them sweetie, you have to be quieter though so you don’t disturb the other passengers.” Jonghyun told her gently


Hana was sitting in my lap all dolled up. I picked out her favorite dress, it was sparkly (of course), green, and went to her knees. There were ruffles at the bottom of the dress and the sleeves, with little flowers stitched into the middle of her chest. I put her in white leggings and blue boots, along with a light brown coat that was almost the length of her dress and ear muffs to keep her tiny ears warm. Her hair was braided across the top and the rest left down, the ends flipped up. I had been quite proud of myself since she apparently decided she wasn’t going to cooperate with me this morning. This was her first time going to Daegu and riding the train. She was fascinated by how quickly it moved, the scenery, even the other passengers seemed to fascinate her. Most of them didn’t mind her excitement, she was still young, but we still apologized to the people around us.


About 40 minutes after leaving Seoul we finally reached Daegu. My heart started pumping as the taxi pulled up at my grandmother’s house. She was expecting us, I wouldn’t surprise my grandmother THAT much, but she wasn’t expecting three people. I grabbed Hana’s hand and Jonghyun grabbed her other as we made our way up the long driveway, swinging her in between us. Once we reached the door I pulled out my key and put it in the lock.

“Hana, remember what I told you about being quiet and staying with Appa?” I reminded her.

“Mmhmm.” She smiled up at me.

“Good.” I kissed her cheek as I let them in while calling out “Grandma, we’re here!”

“Oh, Kibummie! I’m in the living room!” She called back.

I walked down the somewhat long hallway and around the left corner to find her sitting on the couch, doing a crossword puzzle. It was good to see my grandma still doing something to keep her mind busy.

“Grandma, I missed you!” I smiled and gave her a hug.

“I missed you too, honey! What has my Bummie been up to?” She asked.

“Well..” I began feeling a slight blush on my cheeks as she cocked one eyebrow up “We have a surprise for you.”

“Oh? And what’s that?” She said still suspicious.

“Jonghyun, you can come in now.” I called down the hallway. As soon as Jonghyun, carrying Hana, rounded the corner I saw my grandma’s face change from suspicion to confusion to happiness. It took her a second but she finally understood.

“Well, well, well. And who might this be?” She said standing up and walking over to Jonghyun. Hana suddenly hid her face into Jonghyun’s shoulder, feeling shy.

“Grandma, this is Kim Hana, our daughter. We just adopted her a few months ago, she’s turning six tomorrow.” I explained while watching my grandma admire her.

“Now, sweetie,” She cooed at Hana “I’m not going to hurt you. Lemme see what my great-granddaughter looks like hmm?” She a finger under Hana’s chin encouraging her to lift up her face so she can get a better look.  I watched as my grandmother looked her over, a smile lighting up her face.

“Well, would you look at those eyes.” She said her gaze finally reaching my daughter’s eyes. “Aren’t those something! I’ve never seen anything like them! They’re stunning!”

Jonghyun smiled “Aren’t they? She got them from her mother.”

“Well, they’re quite something. She has a good gaze too, Bummie. Kind of reminds me of yours.” She chuckled looking back at me. “Congratulations!”

“Thank you.” I whispered tearing up.

“Now, now, this is no reason to cry.” She said hugging me.

“I’m not crying because I’m sad, I’m crying because I’m happy. My family is finally complete.”

“I always told you that it would work itself out didn’t I?”

“Yes, you did. You were right.”

“What was that you just said?” She teased me. “Jonghyun please tell me you got that on tape?”

“Ya! I say you’re right all the time!” I said pretending to be hurt.

“Oh, pssh! You rarely admit that someone else other than you was right.”

“That’s because 95% of the time I’m always right.”
“And the other 5%?” Jonghyun questioned me, sitting on the couch.

“Well as for the other 5%, I’m never wrong!” I managed to choke out between snickers

Everyone busted out laughing. Well except for Hana who just looked at the three of us as if we had lost our ever loving minds. Sometimes I forgot how innocent she is behind all the sass and stubbornness my daughter seemed to possess.

“Whatever you say, yeobo..” Jonghyun laughed “Hana, tell Umma that he’s silly.”

“Ummmaaaa” Hana said trying to use aegyo on me “You’re weird.” I just laughed, she’s too cute I just couldn’t take it.

“Alrighty then you crazy kids,” Grandmother said “Hana, why don’t you come with Great Grandma to make cookies hmm?” This of course got my daughter’s attention. I laughed as I watched Hana take Grandma’s hand and walk into the kitchen. I looked at Jonghyun only to see that he had the exact same expression on his face. I went over to him and leaned my head on his shoulder sighing contently.

“I’m so happy that she likes Hana so much.” I said to him

“What were you expecting, Kibum?” He replied.

“Not sure exactly.”


We just stood like that for a moment until I walked into the kitchen, husband in tow to see what my grandma and daughter were up to. I could hear my daughter’s sweet laughter from the living room and I wanted to be with her. I started to laugh as I walked into the room, my daughter had somehow managed to get cookie dough on her nose and forehead. I pulled out my camera from my coat pocket and snapped a picture of my daughter sitting on the counter cookie dough all over her face, smiling up at my grandma and my grandma laughing while wiping her face.

“How in the world did she manage that?” I whispered to Jonghyun who had come up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“She’s our daughter, yeobo. Don’t underestimate her.” He whispered in my ear, kissing my cheek. I just laughed causing Hana and my grandma to look at us.

“Umma! Appa! Look I made cookies!!” She told us proudly.

“ I can see, they’re all over your face.” Jonghyun laughed.

“No they are not!” She insisted.

All the sudden, we heard the front door open and close. Jonghyun, Grandma, and my faces all wrinkled in confusion.

“Were you expecting someone else, Grandma?” I asked her.

“No, I was only expecting you two, you just brought a surprise with you.” Grandma poked Hana in the stomach causing her to giggle.

As if on cue, a voice sounded from the hallway.

“Umma, are you in the kitchen?” The voice called.

I took me a moment before I recognized the voice. But when I did, I felt ice run through my veins.

“Oh no…” I heard Jonghyun say from behind me.

“Oh dear, this may be a problem.” Grandma muttered to no one in particular.

“There you are Umma!” Said the woman whose name could give me chills. “Kibum, Jonghyun what are you doing here? And who is that?!”


I took a deep breath and turned around to face her. “Hello, Umma.”

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A/N:

AHHH it's finally up!!! I know I promised this weekend, but I had two tests to study for so I had no time T_T. I left it on a cliffhanger I know. Don't kill T_T I just thought this story could use a cliff hanger and some suspense :) I'm so excited that this story is getting subscribers I seriously didn't think anyone was gonna like it! I love you all <3 Don't forget to comment!! I would spam you guys more but I have another test to study for T_T but that's college life for you, right?!  Anyways PLEASE comment, I get all excited when I see I have comments :p Have a good day/night whatever time it is where you live :)