Random Author/Editor Notes!

The Perfect Gift

Okay I couldn't take all the sad stuff honestly. I'm a happy person, I don't do sad very well. I can write sad stuff if I want to (obviously) but I can't do the whole depressing for long periods of time thing. It just doesn’t jive with my real personality.

Whenever I write I always have a specific song, or quote that runs through my head while I write. I don’t know why but that’s how I am (E/N: I’m the same way). So, I thought to help de-depress everyone, I’d share the quotes and songs I was listening to/thinking of as I wrote this story (E/N: I will do the same :) ). I know that it sounds weird. I actually debated whether or not to include the quotes but, seeing as I don’t have any chapter/story picture because I don’t have photoshop and I at drawing/painting (E/N: That makes two of us haha. But seriously, feel free to make us an art if you feel inclined, we’d love you forever if you did.)I never did. I’ll try to include links to the songs :) Enjoy!

Note: We are only doing the ones that stood out the most to us (E/N: Basically we aren’t doing all the chapters because that would be obnoxiously long and take forever, so we’re doing the ones that we remember the most.)

 

AUTHOR:

Chapter 1:

Quote: “People ask me, ‘What about gay adoptions? ? Single parent?’ I say, ‘Hey, fine, as long as it works for the child and the family is responsible.’ My big stand is this: Every child deserves a home and love. Period.”—Dave Thomas

 

The reason I thought of this quote was because it perfectly describes Alice’s view on Jonghyun and Key adoption. Down to the last word. They’re adoption is a gay one AND it’s . When writing Alice’s view on the adoption I couldn’t help but include my own personal views on gay adoptions (sorry, I just couldn’t. It was too hard not to and the whole freakin story revolves around it). Alice wholeheartedly believed that as long as her child was adored in every sense of the word, and the parents were ones who would raise Hana correctly and in a healthy environment, then she could care less about them being gay or their race. So this is a perfect summary of that.  

Songs:

1. Pocketful Of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield

It’s just sooo HAPPY :) It fits the mood of this chapter so perfectly! (This one doesn’t need a link, you just have to Youtube it and it comes up right away)

 

 

Chapter 4:

Quote:  “The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career. ” -C.S. Lewis

I thought of this quote because of when Key said he decided to stay at home so he got to have more time with Hana. I know that for any parent, giving up your career to be a stay at home parent may be difficult, but I haven’t talked to a single person who said they regret it. My mom said that she loved getting to be a stay at home mom. And one thing I can personally say is that when I see my friends who don’t have parents who stayed at home (some of them rarely saw their parents because of their schedules), I feel lucky because I’m not very close to my mom.

 

Chapter 6:

Quote: “Family isn't always about blood. Sometimes it’s about who is there to hold your hand and support you when you need them!” -Unknown

I don’t really need much of an explanation for this one really, the entire chapter is about how 2min and Onew are just as much family as JongKey’s biological family is. Minho stood up for Key and Jonghyun and said that they wanted Hana and the lady didn’t have to choose because she had the ability to get pregnant on her own. They couldn’t do that. And then they whole playground scene. That’s still one of my favorites to this day.

Song:

1. Calling You-Blue October (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4HMxxN_3GA)

It’s upbeat, it’s happy, it’s about love. The lyrics “Well expect me to be calling you to see

if you're OK when I'm not around. Asking ‘if you love me’, I love the way you make it sound. Calling you to see do I try too hard to make you smile? To make us smile.” is really fitting for Jonghyun. He’s goofing around with everyone, and they’re all laughing and just being happy and he shows he loves his family while he’s goofing around with them.

 

Chapter 14:

Quote: “Christmas...is not an external event at all, but a piece of one’s home that one carries in one’s heart.” -Freya Stark

I thought of this quote because of all the family that gathered at their house. Especially poor Daesung, who got stuck in Seoul. Even though he wasn’t technically at home, they all made an effort for him to feel like he’s home. Everyone gave each other gifts (Daesung not excluded) and they all talked and laughed and enjoyed themselves. Daesung even got to spend time with Hana and he made it in the family Christmas picture :D

 

Chapter 19:

Quote:

“Friends show their love in times of trouble, not in happiness.” - Euripides

 

This quote just goes along with when Key was calling everyone when he reached the hospital and everyone’s reactions. Everyone immediately dropped what they were doing without a second thought and said they were on their way to the hospital and that is showing how much they care for one another.

 

Chapter 20:

Quote: “ We never know the love of a parent till we become parents ourselves.”- Henry Ward Beecher

 

This whole chapter had everything to do with parents and their love. It started when Alice came, because of all people I decided to put Alice there to greet her. Then when Hana visited Key in his dream, the child that disappeared was to show his love and then when he wasn’t letting her go and was saying that she was safe only with him and Jonghyun was another way of showing his love. I think that the ultimate sign Key showed of his love was when he let her go though. That couldn’t have been easy for him. Then there was Jonghyun’s speech. That was the absolutely ultimate sign of love. He basically told her that if she wanted to die, then she had his blessing. No parent ever wants to say that.

*******************************************************************************************************************
YOUR LOVELY EDITOR:
 

Chapter 3:

Quote:

A DEFINITION NOT FOUND

IN THE DICTIONARY

Not leaving: an act of trust and love,

often deciphered by children" -The Book Thief

This is my forever favorite quote! I love this book to death, and I’ve read it so much that I can recite quotes off the top of my head. This book gets me every single time, and it reminds me of so much in my own life. When I wrote about Hana having the nightmare and climbing into bed with Key and Jonghyun, this instantly popped into my head because they easily could’ve put her in her bed but they let her stay instead which is definitely not leaving her.

 

Chapter 6:

Quote:

“Family isn’t whose blood you carry. It’s who you love, and who loves you back.”-Unknown

 

I thought of this because Hana refers to Onew and 2min as her uncles despite the fact that they aren’t her blood uncles (well, neither is Jiyong but you get my point). So this quote fits perfectly in my opinion. The whole interaction when they’re goofing off and tickling Onew is a perfect example of how they’re family even if it’s not through blood.

 

Chapter 13:

Quote:

“We’re all a little weird, and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” -Dr. Seuss

 

Pretty sure you can all guess why this is the quote I thought of. The Jonghyun is a walking dictionary (my idea for the record), Christmas tree malfunction thing was just a good glimpse of the fact that even though Jonghyun is a clueless goofball at times and Key is a nagging overprotective mother somehow it works and they’re perfect for each other.

 

Chapter 18:

Quote:

“I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” -Sigmund Freud

 

I like this quote for this chapter because Jonghyun goes into scary-defensive-overprotective-daddy mode in this chapter. He like full on tells Sekyung off and I genuinely loved that. I was like YEEESSSS when I read that. I can’t express my joys over that in words haha.  But I love it! So much!

 

Chapter 19:

Quotes:

“We’re friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get on my boat and save your retarded .”

 

I think this totally sums up the whole screwing-with-Onew thing. I won’t lie I laughed like an idiot when I read that scene. It was just something I could see happening in real life. We all know Big Bang is just an idol group made up of 5 extremely random, hilarious, outrageous, goof balls. So the whole 3 way thing was just something I’m sure they’ve done off camera before. And the whole Onew getting embarrassed and then falling onto the C.E.O. thing just killed me. So I totally could see this happening!

 

Chapter 20 & 21

Quote(s):

"She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on...” -The Book Thief

 

Another Book Thief quote. Like I said I love this book, and this book is full of beautiful quotes and life lessons I will remember forever. This would be one of them. This quote is perfect for this scene. Hana definitely doesn’t want to say goodbye to her parents. She’s waging a whole war about it. And then there’s Jonghyun who does the most selfless thing I’ve ever heard/read. He tells her that she should leave if she needs to and that he will love her either way. He doesn’t judge her for leaving; he tells her he will always love her no matter what and that no one and nothing will change that. He never actually said goodbye, he just told her he loved her and to do what is best for her. Omg that really got me good.

Songs:

1. My Never- Blue October (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcWNcPIwl4I)

I don’t really need to explain this song. The whole song is self explanatory for this chapter. I mean seriously “I had a dream you were with me” and “And I stood outside her heaven.” Like, this song is gorgeous as is, but if you listen to this after you read this chapter. Omg it’s so fitting!

 

2. Worry List- Blue October (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a24pWMtb-Ls)

Yeah, yeah two Blue October songs in a row, but they fit. This one is so perfect omg. The song itself is about the guy and his broken relationship with his ex and how she’s keeping his daughter from him, but they lyrics fit beautifully!  “This is what your story's about. “My pretty little girl, can you figure it out? If it helps to know so there is no doubt, just listen to the stories. Not everything is glorious. Some hurt. Some love. Some shout. I fought the world...” Is so fitting, because the story is about their daughter, and the whole thing is perfect, Jonghyun and Key argued, they loved, the mother died, but Jonghyun and Key never stopped loving and fighting for their child. Never and that’s why I love that section. There’s even a part at the very end that fits Alice beautifully! “ And you are what my album's about. I might've been gone but I never walked out.” THIS. This right here is Alice. She died, she gave her daughter up for adoption but it was all about her daughter having everything she deserved and she never truly left her, even in death. Nikki showed this when Alice was the one that came to see Hana instead of some random angel.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

SOOO now it's time for another "announcement". We decided that it would be nice to do a Q&A thing. I know that when I read stories I always have questions about how the author did this or that. I try my best to walk you guys through what I was doing in my notes at the end of the chapters BUT I know I don't answer every question. So if you have any questions for me OR the editor, Bre (E/N: HI :D) then leave your questions in the comments and we will answer them and have the answers up tomorrow :D!

 

Thank you for all your comments! We both are enjoying interacting with you all!