More Than Friends

Behind That Stage

“You know you cannot say such things if you cannot prove anything right?” Yo Seob said.

 

Ki Kwang glared at Yo Seob, “You know it, Yo Seob. You saw that man! He stole my father’s company right under my nose. The company was rightfully mine. Even though he’s my father’s brother and my uncle, he treats me like nothing.

 

When I was thirteen, I was full of aspirations to be a singer. I remember my father telling me he was going to make me a professional singer under his company. He created the company from his own hard-earned money and built it from scratch. He had a dream of grooming young talents into singers but everything was destroyed because of his own brother.

 

He was nothing but dust. He failed in his business and begged my father for help. Despite being always mean to my father, my father forgave him and accepted him back into the family. My father even taught him the ropes of managing a business through CUBE.

 

I started training from a young age and my father was happy with my results. CUBE was finally getting recognition and I was on the brink of debuting as a solo singer. However when I was turning sixteen, my father’s health was in ruins and he made a will. I remembered my father gave the shares of CUBE to him because my father did not want me to be burdened with the company and affect my profession.

 

However, I found out that man never changed his spots. I overheard them quarrelling over things and things got heated that they almost got into a physical fight. My father chose to make me believe my so-called uncle was an angel. I just acted ignorant about it.”

 

At that stage, Ki Kwang’s eyes were red and tears were filled to the brim. He felt anger and sorrow all at once, remembering the details of that fateful day of the accident.

 

“My father was on the phone with me, ‘Son, I’m having a meeting with your uncle now. We’re coming home for dinner.’ I knew something was amiss. The last words I ever said to him were, ‘Dad, please come home safely. You know I love you, right?’

 

My father was never a person good with words but he said, ‘Son, I will always love you. Always.’” Ki Kwang stayed silent. His nose was stuffed and he rubbed his tears away, “And he never did come back home. The last time I saw him was at the hospital – and he was covered with the blanket, silent and emotionless.”

 

“What happened to the C…” Yu Jin’s voice faded.

 

“That’s the point,” Ki Kwang returned his normal voice, “He was unscathed. He was at the hospital – with a few cuts here and there but nothing serious. He could have saved my father from the fire but he didn’t. He didn’t save his own brother.”

 

The room was silent after that. Yu Jin did not speak. Neither did Yo Seob.

 

Ki Kwang clapped his hands and managed to force a smile, “Story’s over.”

 

Ki Kwang had also gone over to the part where Mr Lee wanted Ki Kwang to pose Ki Kwang as Y.S. Upon to that, Yu Jin was shocked and said, “No! Y.S is irreplaceable. No one can be Y.S except for…”

 

She glanced at Yo Seob, “Except for him.”

 

“That’s right,” Ki Kwang agreed and placed one arm around Yo Seob, “If that’s the case, we’re leaving CUBE. We’re leaving so we can pursue our dreams freely.”

 

Yo Seob was still silent. Maybe it was Yu Jin’s presence that he could not even utter a word. Maybe he thought he was not in a position he could joke freely like Ki Kwang. He still wanted a chance to explain to Yu Jin about his identity.

 

Yu Jin stepped forward to the both of them and smiled as if she had forgotten to be angry at Yo Seob. Or perhaps she was just faking the enthusiasm to cheer Ki Kwang up. “Well, if you are leaving CUBE, there’s no reason for me to be here as well. If you’re leaving, I’m leaving!” Yu Jin grabbed onto Ki Kwang’s shoulder firmly.

 

“Yu Jin, are you serious about it?” Ki Kwang was surprised.

 

“We’re friends, right?”

 

“Of course we are.”

 

“Honestly, I haven’t made many friends here. You… You two are the only ones.” Yu Jin grinned and carefully placed one hand on Yo Seob’s shoulder as well, knowing he needed the support right now.

 

Ki Kwang seemed determined and more positive with Yu Jin’s support, “With your support, I feel strength. We three shall be the best friends for life, alright? Let’s forget about our past quarrels and stick together.”

 

“Friends?” Yo Seob emphasised and looked at Yu Jin, knowing that they were more than just friends.

 

Ki Kwang misunderstood and took both Yo Seob and Yu Jin’s hands and placed them together. They flinched from the touch and blushed, knowing it had been a long time since they had held hands. Ki Kwang giggled and sighed, “I know Yo Seob’s been an for keeping his identity a secret. But you have to understand his plight as well. No one except me… and some crew know about this.” Ki Kwang explained.

 

“But I’m his…” Yu Jin spouted but stopped, “I’m his friend too.” It was so uncomfortable trying to hide their relationship as well.

 

“Now you have known his secret, everything will go back to normal!” Ki Kwang waved his hands and hugged the both of them, “Yo Seob and you will still be friends.”

 

Yu Jin bit her lips and glanced her way to Yo Seob quickly before Ki Kwang could catch her doing so, signalling to him that she wanted to talk to him alone later on – without Ki Kwang. She smiled at Ki Kwang and said, “Okay, it’s for your sake.”

 

“Good. What about you, Yo Seob?”

 

“As long Yu Jin doesn’t stay angry with me.” Yo Seob meant it but he knew Yu Jin was not going to be appeased that easily.

 

He had to do something more.