The First Sight

Behind That Stage

“Good morning, my babies.”

 

“Good morning, Miss Jang.” All the trainees, including Ki Kwang, greeted their dance choreographer/instructor. Miss Jang was like a motherly person to them even though she was just a dance instructor. They had developed good relationship between them and they looked forward to her trainings all the time.

 

“I have some news for you – it may be bad or good, depending on your perspective,” Miss Jang announced right in the morning of their first practice of the day. Everyone was curious and stayed quiet until she continued.

 

“You all are getting a new dance instructor from now on.” She smiled and said, “I’m going to Japan with my husband who will be posted there for his next job.”

 

“What? No! What?” Small whispers were heard in the dance room and frowns were spotted on their faces. Ki Kwang was no exception. Miss Jang had been a good instructor and no one wanted anyone except her. They could not believe she was leaving.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll be here for another two weeks but the new dance instructor is already here,” Miss Jang’s words comforted them a little.

 

“And there’s a bonus! She’s young and incredibly pretty. You guys will definitely take a liking to her!” She laughed and the trainees denied vehemently, not trusting her words.

 

A knock on the door was heard and Miss Jang clapped her hands once to show enthuiasm, “In fact, she’s at the door. I will introduce her to you right now. Miss Lee, please come in!”

 

Ki Kwang peeked at the door and realised it was another female instructor. He had mixed feelings about getting another female instructor. Sure, Miss Jang was good but perhaps she was one of the rare female instructors who were really good at teaching.

 

The new instructor came in and bowed to the class, “Hello everyone, I am Miss Lee. My full name is Lee Yu Jin.”

 

For a moment, Ki Kwang’s body froze in place. His eyes sparkled at the sight of her. Yu Jin gave a small smile at everyone and intertwined her fingers, placing them politely in front of her. Everyone greeted her warmly like a family would. Yu Jin began to speak again, “To be honest, I am born in 1990 so I may be of the same age or even younger than some of you so you all can call me Yu Jin instead.”

 

Wow, she’s really young! Ki Kwang thought to himself.

 

“I also want to say that although I seem to be too young to be an instructor, I have a lot of dancing experiences. Please guide me along and put your trust in me. Thank you.” She bowed politely and smiled again.

 

Although Yu Jin was nervous as she looked at the new faces of the trainees who were around the same age as her, she remained composed.

 

“Her smile… is perfect.” Ki Kwang said out without realising he was doing so.

 

Miss Jang looked over to Ki Kwang, “Ki Kwang, did you say something?”

 

“Eh?” Ki Kwang came back to reality, “I didn’t.”

 

After the short introduction, Yu Jin was allowed to teach the class with Miss Jang’s guidance. Through the two hours, Ki Kwang learnt that Yu Jin had learnt ballet, jazz, hip hop and modern dance. The only thing that made Ki Kwang was Yu Jin was wearing long-sleeved shirt and full-length pants. “Isn’t she feeling hot?” Ki Kwang muttered under his breath as he watched her perspired from head to toe but she never rolled up her sleeves. Moreover, the air-conditioning in the room was slightly faulty.

 

She led along the class well and even made the class enjoyable but strict at the same time. After class, Miss Jang and Miss Lee were the ones to leave the room.

 

Miss Jang praised her for being a good instructor on her first day, “What am I going to do? I think the class hopes I will go off soon.”

 

“Don’t kid me, Miss Jang. I’m only starting to get used to this. How can I replace you in their hearts?” Yu Jin’s humility sunk in.

 

“I’ll see you for the next lesson, Yu Jin. See you. I’m going to have lunch with my husband right now.” Miss Jang bid her goodbye and went for lunch.