Remembering

Behind That Stage

Ki Kwang handed a glass of water to Yu Jin who was still trembling. Whether she was trembling from the nightmare or the thought of Ki Kwang suspecting their relationships, she was unsure. However, there was one thought she could not erase from her mind, “I remember my past now.”

 

Yo Seob and Ki Kwang’s ears all perked up.

 

“I just had a nightmare which is not just a dream. It’s real. Everything was real.” Yu Jin confessed to the both of them, reassured when she realised both of them knew about the reason behind her scars, “I remember the scenes from the fire accident.”

 

“What happened?” Ki Kwang asked. Although he had other questions to pester her about, he knew this was not the time to be worried about relationship problems.

 

Yu Jin breathed in deeply and laid her back on the pillow, “I remember I was in this room with furniture, books and something else. Everything was burnt down and I could not move – until someone found me and saved me. The last thing I remembered was… a fan falling from the ceiling and hitting us both.”

 

“Do you see the person’s face? Do you know who he is?” Yo Seob pressed on.

 

She tried to flash back to the person’s features and built but to no avail, “No, I can’t remember. I only know he’s a man. His voice rang a bell but I can’t put a note on which it belongs to. Ah, my head hurts.”

 

“If your head hurts, don’t try to remember.” Yo Seob patted her hand quietly. Ki Kwang fidgeted in his seat and stayed silent. That was what he was going to say as well, but Yo Seob beat him to it. It felt like something important was being snatched away from him.

 

“Ah, that’s right,” Yu Jin suddenly recalled, “How’s Mr Lee? Is he alright?”

 

Ki Kwang’s face darkened but Yo Seob explained to her nicely, “He’s alright. He just had a minor sprain in his wrist. Luckily, the speaker did not hurt him much. I think he’s on his way back to the office right now.”

 

“That’s a pity. I want to thank him personally.” Yu Jin fiddled with her fingers and muttered.

 

“You shouldn’t.” Ki Kwang was not looking at her though, “I don’t know what came over him just now to have saved you but he’s never that heroic.”

 

“Ki Kwang…” Yo Seob and Yu Jin said at the same time in a disagreeing tone.

 

Ki Kwang felt a little uncomfortable with seeing Yo Seob and Yu Jin in union. It felt like they were in this together, trying to create a wall between them, “Now both of you are speaking the same tone – like a couple.”

 

As expected, both of them did not speak – out of guilt. Suspecting their relationship could be more than friends, Ki Kwang wanted to probe more but looking at Yu Jin’s state, he knew it was not the time for such argument.

 

Yu Jin looked at Ki Kwang with sorry eyes, “Ki Kwang, I’m sorry. Because of me, we cannot have our dinner together as promised.”

 

“It’s okay, get more rest.” Ki Kwang shrugged it off like a gentleman but on the inside, he was secretly thinking to himself, was Heaven trying to prevent him from confessing his love for her?

 

-

 

Yu Jin looked at herself in the mirror, making sure she was ready. She touched the little bandage on her forehead, telling her that her wound was not completely healed. She frowned in pain as she felt a little dizzy from the soft touch. How was she going to get back to work in this state?

 

She shook her head and went out of the washroom to get her bag. As she stepped out from the washroom, she noticed someone’s back facing her, folding some clothes she left on the bed and placing them into the bag for her. “How long have you been here?” Yu Jin asked.

 

“Well, just a moment ago,” Yo Seob replied as he zipped up her bag and carried it, “Are you ready to leave?”

 

Yu Jin smiled and took her hand into his. Ki Kwang was obviously not here with Yo Seob today. He had practice at CUBE and was feeling remorseful for not getting the chance to fetch her from the hospital. However, it gave Yo Seob and Yu Jin an opportunity to spend time alone together.

 

“Please head to this address, Sir,” Yo Seob handed a small piece of paper to the taxi driver and placed the bag on his lap.

 

Yu Jin widened her eyes in amazement, “You remember where I stay?”

 

Yo Seob ducked his head down and bit his lips shyly, “Well, yeah. That was the first day I met you and I sent you home. And it was the day I got your number.” Yu Jin flashed a smile at him while gazing at him lovingly.

 

Reaching the entrance of Yu Jin’s house, Yo Seob had another quick scan of her living environments. There was not much change to it. She was still living on the second floor where the door was translucent. A few potted plants were placed outside her house. Two windows were tightly shut and you could hear nothing but silence. It’s intriguing to know how she was able to live in such conditions – alone.

 

Yu Jiin opened her door successfully and the door creaked as if it hadn’t been opened for years. She peeked at Yo Seob who was distracted by his thoughts and nudged him, “Thank you for getting me home, Yo Seob.” She pondered for a moment when he nodded, “Do you want to come in?”

 

Yo Seob tilted her head and asked politely, “Will I be intruding you? Can I?”

 

“Well, there’s only me in the house. Come in for a coffee.”

 

He stepped into the house after her and took off her shoes and placed it on the rack as she did to hers. She the lights and things were the exact opposite from what he had seen outside. Her walls were painted light and creamy yellow but the ceiling was incredibly low – just nice for her height. The kitchen was the nearest to the door, followed by her toilet and just a small bedroom with a mini television in front of the bed. A small closet was placed beside the bed, right next to her dressing table. Her bed sheets were in blue with two pillows set nicely with one bolster and two soft toys.

 

Yu Jin invited him to sit at her small dining table in the kitchen as she poured some water into a glass, “You’ll have to make do with plain water now. I ran out of coffee.” She felt embarrassed by that fact that she did not even have coffee for him.

 

“Water’s fine.” Yo Seob sipped the water and gave an exaggerated expression as if he had drunk the best aromatic coffee on Earth. Yu Jin laughed at his attempt to make her feel better and went to the fridge to see if she had anything to offer him.

 

Yo Seob helped himself to look around the house and made careful footsteps like he was afraid any sudden movement would crash the place into pieces. He began to look at the things set on the dressing table. It was like any girl’s dressing table – sunblock lotion, lipstick, blusher, foundation, cleansing lotion. He moved on to the side table of the bed and realised there were books as well. That was another thing he learnt about Yu Jin: She loved reading books.

 

After scanning through all the titles of the books, he found a small dusted photo album sticking out from the shelf of books. He peeped at Yu Jin who was still busy at the kitchen and pulled out the photo album.

 

He sat on the bed and started flipping through the photo album one page to another. It was a normal childhood photo album with pictures of Yu Jin. She even made small notes at the side of each picture on when the pictures were taken and the venues of the pictures. It ranged from her when she was five to ten to fifteen. As he flipped to the page when she was ten, he noticed she had worn ballet costumes, hip hop clothes and many other dancing costumes in the pictures. Some showed she was posing, dancing and even singing on stages.

 

He reached to a picture when she was already fifteen and she was in the photo with two other people. A woman stood beside her and having her two arms gripping on Yu Jin’s shoulders. Another was a man standing stiffly beside her but something was odd. The face of the man was scribbled with marker, unable to detect.

 

Yu Jin came over and that startled Yo Seob. Yo Seob closed the photo album immediately, looking apologetically, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

 

However, Yu Jin was not angry for it. She opened the photo album again and pointed at the picture, “That’s my mother.” And then she pointed at the man and touched the scribbled face, “And this is my father.”

-

 

Author's Note:

Again, sorry for the very late update. Aside from that, I am so looking forward to BEAST's comeback! I have never waited a group for so impatiently before. BEAST, what have you done to me? >:(