Changed

Behind That Stage

Yo Seob and Yu Jin walked hand in hand along the streets, just strolling along the streets of Seoul like any other couple. Yo Seob was still holding onto his guitar in the other hand. Yu Jin looked at Yo Seob briefly and started giggling to herself.

 

Yo Seob widened his eyes and tilted his head, “What? What’s so funny?”

 

“Didn’t you say you were afraid of performing in front of a large crowd? In front of the public?” Yu Jin refreshed his memory and reminded him again.

 

Thinking about his own words and replied her hesitantly, Yo Seob frowned, “Well, yes…”

 

“Didn’t you just do it?”

 

Speechless, Yo Seob bit his lips and argued weakly, “That was not counted.”

 

“Why not?” Yu Jin exclaimed, “Didn’t you see the large crowd which gathered because of you? Everyone was talking about you! It’s amazing how much response you garner in just three minutes. You should give yourself more credit.”

 

Yo Seob knew he could not beat her in the argument and gave up, “Look, I don’t know…”

 

“CUBE?”

 

“What?” Yo Seob asked Yu Jin.

 

Yu Jin pointed at the building in front of them which was across the road. Yo Seob raised his eyebrows and scanned around his surroundings, “How did we even end up here?”

 

“Your heart leads back to here,” Yu Jin explained to him, “You unknowingly walked back to CUBE because you miss it, am I right?”

 

“I…” Yo Seob stammered but his thoughts were interrupted by the scene that was in front of him. A huge line of fans were waiting outside the entrance of CUBE Building. They were holding banners with words plastered: Y.S! Y.S must not leave! Give Y.S freedom to compose and sing! Love him for the voice, not the appearance!

 

Yo Seob and Yu Jin went forward and took a closer look. Yu Jin and Yo Seob lowered themselves and talked to one of the fans who was sitting down. Apparently, the girl they approached was Y.S’ fan-club president.

 

Yo Seob smiled and greeted her, “Hello, you must be in charge here. I know you are doing this voluntarily. Girl, no one is going to listen to what you say. It’s dark and dangerous. Please go home. Your parents must be worried sick.”

 

The girl shook her head and showed the banner, “No! We are going to wait here until the CEO comes out to explain to us. We know he must have forced Y.S to reveal himself. Y.S has said he will never do it. The CEO must have kicked him out of CUBE because of this.”

 

Yo Seob and Yu Jin exchanged glances. These fans knew more than they expected.

 

“What are you going to say to him?” Yo Seob asked.

 

The girl had everything planned, “We’re going say that fans of Y.S do not mind if Y.S doesn’t reveal his true appearance. We love him for his voice and nothing else. We want Y.S to keep producing his music because that’s what we want – and we believe that is what he wants as well.”

 

Yo Seob felt touched at her words.

 

Yu Jin smiled and questioned her, “Don’t you want to know how he looks like?”

 

The girl pondered for a moment and answered, “Well, yeah. I mean… a person can be curious. But all of us believe that Y.S is beautiful – both inside out.” Before Yo Seob could argue, the girl added on, “The only time I want to see his real self is to see him perform live. His passion for music and his soulful singing… Can you imagine how amazing it will be to see him do that live?”

 

The girl’s eyes began to sparkle as she started imagining Y.S to be performing live on stage, “It seems so surreal…” Then, her face turned sour, “But it’s never going to happen.” Moments later, she smiled again, “It’s alright if he doesn’t show himself as long as he continues to produce his music.”

 

Yo Seob could feel his heart melting into a pool of mushiness. He had never tried being close to his fans like that. He never his fans were so matured and concerned for him. He looked down to conceal his feelings but that could not hide from Yu Jin.

 

Yu Jin patted the girl on the shoulder, “I believe Y.S will be so touched and happy when he hears this.”

 

“Really?” Her face lit up.

 

“Really.” Yu Jin took a glance at Yo Seob and emphasised, “Very. Touched.”

 

Yo Seob stood up and walked along the line of fans. He scrutinised the faces of every single fan. They were of all ages and genders supporting him not to be kicked out from CUBE. He wondered if the CEO had seen this. He wondered if his fans would leave him in the lurch after a few days.

 

Yu Jin followed him silently, giving him his own space to think about it.

 

Suddenly, he stopped in his footsteps, making Yu Jin stopped her tracks as well. He turned around swiftly and made his way back to the CUBE Building. Yu Jin was bewildered at his sudden action and called him, “Yo Seob! Yo Seob!”

 

He charged into the building and took the stairs in a hurry, not even bothered to wait for the lift. He ignored Yu Jin’s calls and kept on moving forward. Yu Jin just kept following him, “Yo Seob, where are you going?”

 

He reached the CEO’s office and did not hesitate to turn the knob and enter the room.

 

“Yo Seob!” She was going to stop him but it was too late.

 

With a stiff expression, he stood before the CEO who was looking at some business documents. He panted from the run up the stairs and took some time to cool down his nerves.

 

Mr Lee closed his file of documents and crossed his arms, “May I help you, Yo Seob?”

 

Yo Seob gulped and took another step forward, “Mr Lee, I…”

 

Yu Jin did not want to hear another word for she was frightened of what Yo Seob would say next. Would they end up quarrelling because of the line of fans downstairs? She did not want to know.

 

“Mr Lee, I want you to accept me back.”

 

“What?” Mr Lee and Yu Jin mouthed at the same time.

 

“I agree to your condition,” Yo Seob explained further, “I will reveal myself to the public.”