Showbiz

Behind That Stage

Yo Seob’s eyes widened and glared at Ki Kwang and Yu Jin who were bewildered as well. The information was already too much for them to digest. To be honest, Yo Seob felt that both of them resembled each other. And that explained the same surname.

 

Mr Lee continued, “Hyun Joon, my brother who is also… your fathers, had an affair with Yu Jin’s mother even before he married Ki Kwang’s mother. The worse thing was both of them got pregnant with you two at the same time.”

 

Ki Kwang frowned but stayed quiet. He continued, “Hyun Joon was feeling guilty towards Yu Jin’s mother. He paid for her rent and living. He loved both of them equally but it was never easy trying to keep the secret because he was a successful man.

 

Ki Kwang and Yu Jin, you two grew up well but in different conditions. Ki Kwang had the luxury to have his father with him but Yu Jin, you only see him once a week but you love him very much as well. The most interesting thing was, both of you have very strong passion for dancing and singing.”

 

Yu Jin thought back about her photo albums. That explained her numerous photos of her in different costumes for different types of dances. And she remembered one picture when she was holding onto a microphone.

 

“The difference was,” Mr Lee looked at Ki Kwang cautiously, “Yu Jin’s incredibly talented in performing. You are a natural born performer. You can sing and dance so well that many companies are willing to stand outside your house just to recruit you.”

 

Yu Jin had no recollection so she inquired, “Why didn’t I accept?”

 

“That’s because…” Mr Lee folded his arms, “Your father was already trying to set up a company just for you. He was setting up CUBE so that he could nurture you to be a singer.”

 

Upon hearing that, Ki Kwang shook his head and interrupted, “Wait. So my father set up the company was because of…”

 

“That’s right,” Mr Lee said, “It was because of Yu Jin.”

 

“You’re saying my father used me as a shield to protect Yu Jin by telling the media he set up the company for me?” Ki Kwang emphasised, “So that people would not know his true intention of setting up the company?”

 

Mr Lee sighed when he realised Ki Kwang was already getting the hang of it, “Yes, Ki Kwang. In fact, the shares mostly belonged to Yu Jin’s mother which will be transferred to Yu Jin later on.”

 

Ki Kwang plopped down to his seat, feeling anger and frustration over the whole issue. He remembered the words of his father that his father was going to let him be a singer. The truth was Ki Kwang was nothing but a shield – a shield for his father’s own illegitimate daughter.

 

However, that was not the only thing in his mind.

 

“How did Father die?” He muttered under his breath.

 

Yu Jin was feeling frightened – of what she had to hear later on.

 

“That.” Mr Lee stiffened.

 

“Did you cause his death?” Ki Kwang accused.

 

Mr Lee glanced at Ki Kwang, “If I were to be the one who caused his death, I will never show my face ever again, Ki Kwang.

 

Remember the day when Hyun Joon died, when you tried to boil the water over a stove because you wanted to cook ramen?”

 

Ki Kwang tried to recall back to that day. It was blurry but not very hard to remember. He nodded cautiously.

 

“I was standing with your mother outside the CUBE’s kitchen. Your mother called you over to go home first. Unfortunately, you left the water to boil without turning off the fire. I did not know how the fire became so big. The kitchen was right beside your father’s office and the fire had already trapped the doors… It was too late…”

 

Yu Jin’s face started to fluster as she gained the memory bit by bit, “I remember… I remember I was in the practice room when I heard Father cried for help. He was desperate and… I ran out of the room to find him at the window trying to escape…

 

I called for him endlessly but the fire was too strong. My vision was blurred; I could not see him well enough. I remember his voice was fading… His voice…”

 

Sobs were heard as she left her sentence hanging. Yo Seob hugged her to stop her from breaking down as Ki Kwang started to continue his questions, “Why did you save him? Why?”

 

“It was too late, Ki Kwang. The moment I came out of my room, the kitchen was burnt, your father was…” He stopped there and continued another way, “The next thing I saw was Yu Jin lying on the floor – unconscious. I picked her up and ran out.”

 

Mr Lee removed his blazer and ed one of his buttons to loosen his shirt. He revealed the top of his left shoulder which was a big and deep scar, “I got this when the fan dropped down on me when I was carrying Yu Jin out of the building.”

 

Ki Kwang and Yu Jin exchanged glances when they knew everything was out of the bag. The truth was out.

 

Ki Kwang gave a fake laughter, “Sister? You’re my sister?”

 

Yu Jin choked, “Ki Kwang…”

 

“The girl I fell in love with is my… sister?”

 

It was hard to digest everything. From his father’s secret affair, a long lost sister, a ‘betrayal’ by his own father to losing hopes of debuting, Ki Kwang could easily go bonkers.

 

“Why did things have to happen this way?” Ki Kwang looked at Yo Seob who was holding onto Yu Jin’s hand, making his heart break into pieces all over again.

 

Ki Kwang stood up and looked at Mr Lee for the last time, “Is this considered as showbiz too?” He mocked at Mr Lee without shame.

 

With that, Ki Kwang dragged his feet out and left the office.