Why Me

Behind That Stage

Silence filled in the car.

 

Only the sound of the engine was heard. Even a pin drop would be obvious to the ears.

 

Yo Seob cleared his throat nervously and tried to take sneak peeks at Yu Jin who was sitting beside him quietly ever since she entered the car. One hand gripped on the steering wheel tightly while the other reached out to the radio, “It’s too quiet.”

 

Yu Jin breathed in deeply and exhaled. She did not expect them to be this awkward. She tried to contain her frustrations for Yo Seob’s lying but she could not brush away the inner fangirl in her. Y.S, the amazing singer-composer of the KPOP industry, was sitting right beside her. Not to mention, he’s her boyfriend! How could things be better than that?

 

Knowing Yo Seob had another side to him made him even more charming than usual. She blushed at the sight of his gaze through the window while driving and looked away. Yo Seob misunderstood that action as a sign of anger and took her hand which was on her lap.

 

Yu Jin turned around immediately. Yo Seob kept his focus on the road but started speaking, “Yu Jin, I’m sorry for lying to you from the beginning. Although I am dying for you to forgive me now, please stay angry with me. Don’t forgive me just yet.”

 

“What?” Appearing very surprised at his request, she frowned.

 

“I don’t deserve your forgiveness now,” Yo Seob explained slowly, “Let me show you my sincerity in begging for your forgiveness. That will make me feel better.”

 

In Yu Jin’s heart, she had already forgiven him. However, she was curious into what he had prepared for her for the day so she nodded. She noticed the backseat of the car was filled with kitchen equipment. Yo Seob never cooked.

 

“Okay,” She seemed amused by the truckload of crap behind, “Let’s see what tricks you have up to sleeve.”

 

Yo Seob smirked as he knew his battle was half won when Yu Jin started speaking to him in her usual tone.

 

They reached their destination and it was a mini camping site with small little tents already set up for them. Yo Seob parked his car next to a tent and took out the equipment, not forgetting to open the door for Yu Jin. He specially set up the foldable chair first to let her sit down in the tent and placed a blanket over her lap like a gentleman.

 

Yu Jin tried to contain her smile for his attentiveness and watched him in action. He fiddled around the items for a minute and finally started a fire. He frowned and placed the pot and fryer on the pit and looked at Yu Jin, “Today’s dinner will be cooked by me! You shall sit back and wait for the meal like a princess!”

 

“I think I remember you telling me you can’t cook,” Yu Jin reminded him.

 

“Hey, I’m a fast learner.”

 

Yu Jin folded her arms and watched in amusement. Taking the oil out and dabbled on the fryer, he yelled as he poured in excess, “Ah! Too much!”

 

Laughing at his plight, she shook her head.

 

“Yu Jin, the view of the ocean is awesome. Maybe you should step out and get some fresh air instead.” He made up an excuse to get her out so he would not be embarrassed in front of her.

 

“No, I’m perfectly fine here.” She teased.

 

“Yu Jin! Get some fresh air!” Holding onto the fryer, he pulled her hand with his free hand and dragged her out of the tent.

 

This time, Yu Jin did not try to contain her emotions and snickered at him. “Don’t look here! Enjoy the scenery… for at least one hour!” Yo Seob stuttered and started cracking the eggs into the fryer.

 

“Yes, Mr Chef.”

 

She would take peeks occasionally and check on his progress. In fact, there was not any progress. His eggs were burnt and the soup was neglected. His kimchi fried rice was a mess and he would wince in pain because his eyes were suffering from the heat from the fire.

 

Yu Jin grinned and gave up. She walked towards him with a lighter mood, “Aigo, my dear, how I can leave you alone in this state?” She signalled him to give her some space and stepped in, “Watch and learn.”

 

Yu Jin easily whipped up one pot of soup, 2 bowls of kimchi fried rice and even cooked grilled chicken for them both. Of course, with Yo Seob’s assistance. They sat down and enjoyed the yummy meal while listening to Yo Seob’s interesting recount his first time cooking. Yu Jin fed him one spoonful of rice and Yo Seob gazed at her lovingly, “You know, it’s the first time I have ever cooked for a girl.”

 

Getting herself a piece of chicken, she raised an eyebrow.

 

“I’m not kidding! To have me step into a kitchen and cook a meal, it will take heaps of effort.” Yo Seob became serious.

 

“Why?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“Why am I so special?” Yu Jin asked, “I am just another girl on the streets who happened to be your secret fan… with ugly past. I don’t understand what makes me so unique as to make you go such great lengths just to make me yours.”

 

“You don’t see yourself very clearly,” Yo Seob touched her face briefly and back to her hand, “And you don’t have an ugly past. Maybe your past was a good one, you just don’t remember it.”

 

 

It was true. She remembered nothing about her childhood ever since she got into a fire accident. She only remembered images of the accident – it was nothing but the heat, blazing fires and furniture tumbling down from the burn. She could not recall the venue, the people and the reason for the fire. The next thing she knew, she was in the hospital with no family. Maybe her family was burnt in the fire but someone rescued her for sure. She did not know who did but she was very grateful.

 

Things went downhill because she was sent to an orphanage.

 

She was brought back to reality as Yo Seob squeezed her hand lightly. She gave a reassuring smile to him. Yo Seob knew all these. All about her but never tried to probe or be judgemental.

 

“We met in a very peculiar way. I was just waiting for the right day, the right moment, to tell you the truth. I did not want to use the name of Y.S to get your heart. I want you to start liking me because of me. I’m sorry if you feel cheated but it was never my intention to hurt you in any way, Yu Jin.”

 

How could anyone be mad at someone like him? From then on, Yu Jin did not see him as Y.S anymore. She saw him as the loving and sensitive boyfriend of hers, Yo Seob. It did not matter if he had lied or he’s Y.S.

 

“Thank you, Yo Seob, for everything.”

 

Under the moonlight and sweet ambience, Yu jin cuddled up closer to him and laid on his shoulder, enjoying the moments they were sharing together that they would never forget.

 

-
Author's Note:

It's Nichkhun's birthday today. :) Happy birthday!

Tumblr_m31d52if8s1qa9ud2o1_500_large

 

Oops, hehe. Anyway here's another bonus gif of Yo Seob.

Tumblr_lt9rx9nsoz1qgwsu3o1_250_large