Crossing Paths

Behind That Stage

“You should have seen her for yourself, Yo Seob! I swear I’m not exaggerating like I used to.”

 

Ki Kwang was keeping up with Yo Seob who was walking quickly to the CUBE cafeteria. Yo Seob had his hands hidden in his jacket pockets. Yo Seob did not even bother to wait for Ki Kwang, “Look, Ki Kwang, it’s the fifth girl this week.”

 

“No! No! She’s different, Yo Seob. I swear!” Ki Kwang tried to convince him.

 

Yo Seob sat down comfortably and stared at him intently, “It’s been the fifteenth time you swear that a girl is different and special from all the other girls you have meet.”

 

“Do you really count what I say all the time?” Ki Kwang tilted his head after being side-tracked for a second, “Aish, Yo Seob, my new dance instructor is really pretty. The way she dances and speaks is just breath-taking. And she’s the same age as us, can you believe it? A dance instructor at her age!”

 

“She’s so young?” Yo Seob seemed interested for a moment.

 

Ki Kwang nodded profusely.

 

“Well, she’s talented as me, I can say,” Yo Seob joked but became indifferent again.

 

Ki Kwang rolled his eyes for a minute at Yo Seob’s unnecessary arrogance. Ki Kwang felt hopeless and mumbled, “I guess all you care about is your little angel you met for one day.”

 

Yo Seob’s eyes widen and he shot back at Ki Kwang, “Yah, you met your dance instructor for a day too! You’re calling the kettle black!”

 

“It’s alright because I’m going to see her later again,” Ki Kwang grinned at the thought of it.

 

Yo Seob sighed. He was slightly jealous because Ki Kwang got to see his “girl” all the time but he had not found the time to ask Yu Jin out again. He looked at Ki Kwang and asked for the sake of keeping up with a conversation, “So what’s your instructor’s name?”

 

“Oh, since she’s the same age, she told us to call her by her name instead of her surname like we do for all dance instructors,” Ki Kwang explained, “Even her name is pretty and unique. Her name is Yu J-“

 

Suddenly, Yo Seob’s phone rang and he jolted up a little, “Oh, I’m sorry.”

 

He picked up the phone while Ki Kwang waited, “Hello? Oh really? Okay, I get it. I’m coming right away!” He put down his phone and informed Ki Kwang, “Sorry, Ki Kwang. I have to get back to the studio. You can have lunch by yourself.”

 

“Not again! You’re always abandoning me! Lunch is more important than work…” Ki Kwang whined like a child.

 

“Stop that! People are looking! I’ll see you soon.” Yo Seob said and left the cafeteria.

 

Ki Kwang sighed and got up to get his food. He went to the food section and an ajumma was scooping the food for him. He spotted the sweet potatoes at the end and pointed at them to the ajumma, “Ajumma, please give me more sweet potatoes.”

 

“Ajumma, please give me more sweet potatoes!” An angelic voice was heard.

 

Ki Kwang turned to see Yu Jin was right beside him and she said the exact same thing to the ajumma. “Yu Jin-sshi, you’re here too!” Ki Kwang exclaimed as he felt a tinge of happiness to see her during lunch time.

 

“Ah, you’re… Ki Kwang?” Yu Jin tried to recall and guessed his name correctly without much effort needed.

 

They continued to talk after getting all their food. “Yu Jin, you remember my name?” Ki Kwang was even more excited now but he tried to stay calm so he would not scare his new dance instructor he had met today.

 

“Yes, of course. I try my best to remember everyone’s names.” They reached a table and both of them had not sat down. Yu Jin looked at the table and asked, “Are you with anyone? Can I join you for lunch?”

 

“Well, I was with someone until he abandoned me for something else,” He grumbled as Yo Seob’s face appeared in his mind. “Of course, you’re welcomed to join me for lunch.” Ki Kwang offered her to sit before he sat down.

 

“Thank you, Ki Kwang. You know, I don’t have any friends here.”

 

Ki Kwang was all cheerful and optimistic, “Eh, you’re new around this company. Be patient. Besides, you have a really nice personality. Everyone in the class likes you. Don’t worry about friends.”

 

Yu Jin smiled at Ki Kwang’s sweet words, “You’re very optimistic, aren’t you?”

 

“Many have told me so,” Ki Kwang laughed and continued, “Since you don’t have any friends here, am I privileged to be your first friend?”

 

“Are you of the same age as me?” Yu Jin frowned, “Because you look like you’re younger than me!”

 

“I’m born in 1990. Technically, I’m of the same age as you, my friend!” Ki Kwang revealed happily and grinned.

 

Yu Jin ate another mouthful of sweet potato, “Really? You don’t look like your age! Or, my age so to say. You have a very young looking face, Ki Kwang.”

 

“In any case, we’re friends right?”

 

“Yes, we are.” Yu Jin nodded and noticed how cheery Ki Kwang could be. She held out her hand graciously and shook Ki Kwang’s hand.

 

They continued eating without talking. Yu Jin took another piece of sweet potato and chewed on it, “Wah, it’s delicious!”

 

“You really like sweet potatoes, don’t you?” Ki Kwang commented lightly.

 

Yu Jin pointed at Ki Kwang’s plate and teased, “Speak for yourself. You asked for more sweet potatoes as well!”

 

“Yu Jin-ah,” Ki Kwang called by her real name in an informal tone for the first time and that surprised Yu Jin a little. She blushed lightly from the way he called her. He continued without pausing, “One day, I’ll bring you to a sweet potato stall where this ajumma sells really yummy sweet potatoes, especially when it’s piping hot! You’ll definitely love it.”

 

“Really? Promise?” Yu Jin asked.

 

Ki Kwang held out his little pinkie and nodded his face, “I promise.”

 

They smiled to each other and a promise was made.