Holding Hands

Behind That Stage

Yo Seob was lying on the couch of an empty dance room. It was his “house” after all. He did not have a proper place to stay. He had one place but it was vacant for very long. It was more convenient for him to stay in the company itself.

 

He stared at the number for a long time. He spoke to himself, “Should I call? Should I text? What should I do?”

 

He tapped the phone lightly on his forehead and cursed himself, “Ah, Yo Seob. Be a man!”

 

Yu Jin’s number flashed in front of his face again. He could remember her number backwards already since he had looked at her number for a long time. Finally, he pressed on the button and held the phone to his ear. The phone rang for the third time but no one picked up.

 

“Come on…” He mumbled.

 

He was going to put down the call disappointingly but someone picked up the phone. He stood up straight away and tried to form his words appropriately, “Hel- Hello?”

 

“Hello, who’s this?” The perfect angelic voice definitely belonged to Yu Jin.

 

“Yu Jin, it’s me!” Yo Seob spouted.

 

The other end became silent and asked politely, “Who… are you?”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Yo Seob shut his eyes in embarrassment after realising he did not mention his name, “I’m Yo Seob. Remember? The guy you met on Valentine’s Day?”

 

“Ah, Yo Seob. Of course I remember you!” She laughed and commented, “You sound very different on the phone. I apologise for not recognising your voice.”

 

How could she be so sweet on the phone as well? Yo Seob was pleased she gave the correct number and even picked up the phone to speak with him. After dazing for a while, Yo Seob forgot to continue speaking.

 

Yu Jin prompted, “Yo Seob, what’s the reason you’re calling me at this hour? It’s almost 8pm. Is anything the matter?”

 

“Oh yes,” Yo Seob snapped out of his dreamland and remembered his motive, “I was just wondering if… I was wondering if you like movies. You know just… movies.”

 

Yo Seob was stammering. He was standing up and walking from one end to another end in the room. Yo Seob never knew asking a girl out was that nerve-wrecking.

 

“Are you asking me out for a date?” Yu Jin was straightforward.

 

Yo Seob stiffened when she said date. Did she think I was trying to woo her again? After she had rejected him, Yo Seob was afraid. He denied, “No, no. It’s just like asking a friend out, you know. Maybe we can get to know each other better.”

 

“Movie’s great. I love movies.” She admitted shyly.

 

Yo Seob jumped for joy and cleared his throat, “How about a drive-in theatre?”

 

“Wow, I have never been to one before,” Yu Jin sounded more excited than ever, “I love the idea. I’m looking forward to it, Yo Seob.”

 

“How about this Sunday at 7pm? We can have dinner before the movie.”

 

“This Sunday’s perfect. I’ll see you soon, Yo Seob.” Yu Jin spoke sweetly and smiled while talking on the phone.

 

“Yu Jin,” Yo Seob whispered, “Goodnight.”

 

Yu Jin felt her heart skipped a beat from his simple words, “Goodnight, Yo Seob.”

 

She hung up the phone and breathed in deeply. She had never felt this way for a long time after she separated from her ex-boyfriend. What was this feeling? She could not comprehend it but the feeling felt different and wonderful.

 

-

 

“Ah, I’m late! I’m off!” Yo Seob packed his bag hurriedly and waved goodbye to Ki Kwang.

 

Ki Kwang sat up and asked eagerly, “Off? To where? You seemed in a rush.”

 

“Yes, I am! Stop asking! Goodbye.” Yo Seob left the room in a huff before giving Ki Kwang a second look.

 

He ran as fast as he could to the place he had promised to meet Yu Jin. He could not believe he was late on his first date. He hoped Yu Jin would not blame him for it. He finally reached his destination and spotted Yu Jin far away with the earphones in her ears again, “Yu Jin!”

 

Yu Jin turned around and smiled, “Yo Seob!” Yo Seob panted heavily and caught his breath quickly. Yu Jin laughed at his plight and assured him, “Don’t rush, don’t rush. Take your time to catch your breath, Yo Seob.”

 

“I’m sorry for being late. Have you waited for a long time?” Yo Seob stood up straight and apologised to her politely.

 

Yu Jin widened her eyes in disbelief, “You ran all the way here because you’re afraid of making me wait?”

 

“Yes, I was afraid you’ll be angry.” Yo Seob admitted.

 

Yu Jin checked her watch, “You’re only five minutes late. That’s hardly illegal. Let’s go, Yo Seob! I can’t wait to try out the drive-in theatre!”

 

Yu Jin walked in with Yo Seob as both of them noticed the gap between them – it was neither too far nor near. No one wanted to widen or narrow the gap. They walked in quietly without a word since they were still new to each other.

 

They chose a movie that included romance, comedy and action – It Means War. They sat in a car and turned the radio on so it would fit the screen. Yo Seob bought popcorn and offered some to Yu Jin. “Thank you,” Yu Jin said and ate the popcorn.

 

Through the show, Yu Jin laughed naturally at the funny parts. However, Yo Seob’s gaze was fixed on her instead of the screen. He began to admire her beautiful angel-like features again and smiled to himself like a fool. Yu Jin caught him staring at her and poked his cheek without a warning. Yo Seob was taken aback by her action and froze in place.

 

She frowned sheepishly at him while poking his chubby cheeks, “Why are you not watching the movie?”

 

Yo Seob took her finger off and replied, “I find you more intriguing to look at.”

 

“Tsk, I did not expect a cute-looking person like you to sweet talk so well,” Yu Jin commented lightly.

 

Upon hearing her words, he widened his eyes and asked, “So you think I’m cute.”

 

Yu Jin’s smile faded as she found out she had mentioned too much. She stuttered and tried to remove her finger from his grip, “No… No!”

 

Yo Seob tightened his grip on her finger and slowly moved his hand to intertwine his fingers into hers perfectly, “Don’t be embarrassed about it. I’m not ashamed to say that you’re beautiful in my eyes – both inside out.”

 

Yu Jin’s heart pounded quickly as she melted into his words. She bit her lips in embarrassment and looked down. She noticed Yo Seob was grinning from ear to ear, still staring at her lovingly. She took a handful of popcorn and forced it into his mouth, “Eat your popcorn and watch the show!”

 

“Yes, madam.” Yo Seob chewed and returned his attention to the movie, not forgetting to continue holding his hands with Yu Jin’s and never letting go.