Friends Or Not

Behind That Stage

“Good morning, Yu Jin!” The class greeted her warmly.

 

“Good morning, class,” Yu Jin smiled sweetly as she was still cheery about yesterday’s day with Yo Seob, “Class, I hope you all are ready with your individual assignment. Each of you has to perform a short dance to the theme ‘Rain’.”

 

Ki Kwang nodded profusely as he was confident in his own performance. He was already in his attire to perform. Yu Jin looked around and fixed her gaze on Ki Kwang, “Ki Kwang, do you want to be the first to perform?”

 

“My pleasure.” Ki Kwang agreed and stood up. Suddenly, the girls of the class started squealing and clapping for him. Yu Jin tilted her head and thought to herself, Ki Kwang’s pretty popular among the girls in the company.

 

Ki Kwang the music and it was played – It’s Raining by Rain himself. He delivered a y and professional dance with his expressions and dance moves. It made the girls in the class swooned and blushed from the movements. As usual, Yu Jin was being strict as an instructor and graded him accordingly.

 

Suddenly, Ki Kwang took off his cap and moved towards Yu Jin. He surrounded Yu Jin to finally place the cap on her head. Yu Jin was surprised by his moves and smiled lightly at his attempt. The girls gasped in amazement. Unexpectedly, Ki Kwang leaned closer to her and gave her a wink.

 

Yu Jin stiffened and dropped her pen when he did that. Ki Kwang smirked when he realised he had made an impact towards Yu Jin. Yu Jin cleared and continued to pen her grades. The music stopped and Ki Kwang bowed.

 

The class was coming to an end and it was time to reveal the top three students. “Everyone has done well today but I need to see more improvement in your dance steps. No doubt you guys have the steps in your mind but some of you need to work on flexibility,” Yu Jin commented, “So the top three are… Lauren, Jun Su and Min Hyuk. Congratulations!”

 

Everyone clapped except for Ki Kwang. “What? What about me?” Ki Kwang whispered to himself. The rest of the class were equally shocked at the results. Ki Kwang’s dancing skills could not be compared to the rest and he was always in the top – not this time.

 

Lesson ended and Ki Kwang was the last student to leave again. He just stood at the corner looking at Yu Jin scribbling through some papers and sighed. He decided to leave before Yu Jin called him, “Ki Kwang, wait!”

 

He could feel a sense of happiness when she called his name. He turned and smiled but Yu Jin simply took off the cap Ki Kwang placed on her and put it back on his head. His smile disappeared but his face was still comical. Yu Jin laughed and punched his chest, “Are you angry at me?”

 

Ki Kwang scoffed and folded his arms, “Do I look like a guy who has a short temper?”

 

Yu Jin rolled her eyes and changed the subject, “Ah, Ki Kwang.” She looked hesitant but was dying to ask him, “Do you happen to have seen the singer composer Y.S around CUBE?”

 

“Y.S? You’re a fan?” Ki Kwang questioned.

 

“Fan is an understatement,” Yu Jin shook her head and became slightly excited, “I am a huge fan of his even before he debuted.” Ki Kwang was amazed by the fact but he simply nodded. Yu Jin seemed to realise her hope was diminishing, “I know he’s a secretive person who doesn’t reveal his face. But all I want is a signature.”

 

“You’re a lucky person. I happened to be his friend.”

 

“Really?” Yu Jin’s eyes sparkled but she shook her head furiously, “Eh, I don’t believe a word of yours. How can someone so talented and sincere have a friend like you?”

 

“Aish, you…” Ki Kwang grumbled, “I’m speaking the truth. I’ll prove it to you by getting his signature for you by tomorrow.”

 

“Oh my goodness, really?” Yu Jin’s smile was undeniably showing her utmost happiness, “Thank you, Ki Kwang!” She intertwined her fingers together and placed them under her chin in excitement.

 

“After you have reprimanded me for my dancing, I’m actually doing you a favour. Unbelievable.” Ki Kwang sighed jokingly.

 

“I know you have been consistent in your dance performances and you may not expect this kind of results this time,” Yu Jin explained, “You’ll have to understand you have a lot more to improve.”

 

“I know, I know,” Ki Kwang nodded, “You can be such a nag for an instructor. I prefer being friends with you.”

 

Yu Jin packed her stuff and turned off the lights, “Please remind yourself that I am still your instructor for the record. We’re only friends after class.”

 

“Friends? Does it mean I have the permission to do this?” Ki Kwang asked and immediately put his arm over her shoulder comfortably before trying to strangle her.

 

Yu Jin screamed, “Yah, Lee Ki Kwang! Are you seeking revenge?”

 

“Did you just call my full name? You’re so dead!” Ki Kwang joked and tightened his grip.

 

“What are you two doing?”

 

Yu Jin and Ki Kwang looked up and stopped joking. Ki Kwang’s classmates were just in front of them when they saw the scene of them joking around comfortably. One of the girls stiffened and glared at Yu Jin, “We were going to ask Yu Jin and you for lunch together.”

 

Ki Kwang and Yu Jin looked at each other awkwardly.

 

“I guess you two are having lunch alone?” Another girl commented with jealousy.

 

“No!” Ki Kwang and Yu Jin denied together, making it more awkward than ever.

 

Yu Jin calmed down and spoke politely, “Ki Kwang can join you guys. I have another class to go for. I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”

 

“Goodbye.” Ki Kwang bid her farewell.

 

One of the girls tugged on Ki Kwang’s sleeve and demanded, “Oppa, why are you so friendly towards our dance instructor? Are you dating her? That can’t be right? But why is your arm around her?”

 

Annoyed at her immaturity, he removed her hand from his shirt, “There’s nothing going on between us. We’re just friends.”

 

The rest of the class echoed together, “Friends?”

 

The girl stated again, “How can you be friends with an instructor? It’s wrong.”

 

Ki Kwang became defensive upon hearing that, “Yah, Lauren, what’s wrong with being friends with Yu Jin? She’s matured, nice and approachable. There’s nothing wrong with that!”

 

“Really? Is that all?” The girl would not stop asking about their close relationship, “All the winking, dancing and putting on a cap during the performance…” She muttered to herself but the rest of them were also discussing among themselves.

 

Suddenly, a male student interrupted and stepped in the conversation, “Ki Kwang-ah, you like our instructor?”

 

“Well… What…” Ki Kwang stammered. Why was he stammering? Ki Kwang was in a daze and was completely confused at the way he was acting towards the sudden question posed to him.

 

The girl pulled his sleeve yet again and retorted, “You do like Yu Jin, don’t you?”

 

Ki Kwang had no answer to that.