Father

Behind That Stage

“That’s all for today!” Yu Jin bowed and dismissed the class.

 

She was distracted a little from class today, knowing that Ki Kwang was not longer in the class. It caused a sense of emptiness not seeing his dance or hearing his laughter. She wiped her perspiration away and one of her students approached her, “Miss Lee.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you know what happened to Ki Kwang?” She asked.

 

Yu Jin nodded but kept her cool, “Ki Kwang has left CUBE due to personal reasons. He’s not a trainee here anymore.”

 

It was a hard fact to accept but she could not lie to her students. The student was shocked and exclaimed, “What? That can never happen!”

 

“Why not?” Yu Jin frowned.

 

The student looked around her and whispered to Yu Jin, “I heard Ki Kwang is a nephew of the CEO of CUBE.” She tilted her head in confusion, “How can he leave when his uncle is the CEO of the company? It doesn’t make sense. He should be debuting soon.”

 

“Wait, Ki Kwang is the nephew of Mr Lee?” Yu Jin repeated, unable to grasp the truth.

 

“Don’t you know?” The student felt a little offended, “I thought you were close to him…” She packed her things and bid goodbye to Yu Jin.

 

“Wait,” She called her student back and rubbed her temple, “Can you tell me where the medication room is? I’m feeling a little dizzy.”

 

“Sure, Miss Lee,” The student smiled, “It’s right around the corner after you pass by ‘Recording Studio 3’.”

 

“Thank you.” Yu Jin took her bag and started to find her way there. Her health had taken a toll after Ki Kwang knew the truth to their relationship and what Yo Seob had mentioned to Mr Lee two days ago. She could not believe her ears when Yo Seob said that. Mr Lee assumed he was not in the right mind and sent him home. Yo Seob was supposed to meet Mr Lee again today and explain his reasons for doing so. She felt worried for Yo Seob but on the other hand, she wondered whether Ki Kwang knew about it.

 

“Aish, what’s going on?” Yu Jin shook her head and looked left and right, “Where’s the room?!”

 

Suddenly, she led herself to somewhere unfamiliar. Almost turning back, she smelt something burning from the opposite room. She coughed and opened the door. She blinked her eyes multiple times before realising a fire was right in front of her as she felt the flame against her skin, feeling the heat almost immediately.

 

Flashes of the fire accident started appearing across her mind and in front of her eyes. The screams and terror of the unfortunate incident haunted her again. She felt her head going dizzier and she backed away from the door, screaming her lungs out, “No! No! No! Help me! Help me!”

 

She collapsed on the floor and pressed her hands on her head. This time, the images of the accident became clearer and she could see the faces of her saviour.

 

The person who had carried her away from the fire.

 

It’s him.

 

Moments later, she could see herself running through the fire, finding her way out before entering a small room with a different man – asking her for help like her previous nightmares.

 

It was him.

 

How could it be?

 

No, it could not be.

 

“Yu Jin! Yu Jin! Are you alright? Wake up! Wake up!”

 

Yu Jin opened her eyes slowly and to see she was at the same spot, near the door that she opened to a fire. She was trembling as she noticed both Ki Kwang and Yo Seob were kneeling in front of her, looking worried sick.

 

“Fire… There was a fire…” She stuttered through her weak voice.

 

“No, no. Don’t worry. You just stumbled into the kitchen and two trainees had just burnt the stove because they were careless. It’s not a fire.” Yo Seob comforted her.

 

“Yo Seob, I remember everything. I remember everything.” Yu Jin wanted to spill everything before she forgot about the fire accident images she had when she was traumatised.

 

“The guy who was in danger. I fail to save him in the fire. He called for help… but I was unable to help. He’s my father. He was in his room… and he died in the fire with me… I remember how my father looks like…” Yu Jin was already in tears and she choked.

 

Yo Seob patted her head softly and assured her, “Don’t think about it. I’ll bring you to have some rest, alright?”

 

Not forgetting Ki Kwang was there, Yo Seob asked him for help. Both of them lifted her up together.

 

Just then, something fell out from Yo Seob’s jacket pocket. Ki Kwang picked it up for him upon seeing it – it was a picture that Yo Seob found at Ki Kwang’s house, the one with Yu Jin and Ki Kwang’s father. The mystery that Yo Seob had yet to uncover.

 

“Yo Seob!” Ki Kwang called him and showed the picture to him.

 

Seeing Yo Seob’s face turned expressionless, he knew something was amiss. Ki Kwang had never seen this picture before. Why was his father taking a picture with another woman and an unknown child? Who were they?

 

“Yo Seob, where did you get this?” Ki Kwang asked.

 

Yu Jin squinted her eyes and took the photo, “That’s me. That’s my mother.”

 

Yu Jin knew that photo instantly. That was the only photo she had of her family.

 

She paused for a moment and touched the guy’s face, “That’s my father… I remember his face now.”

 

Ki Kwang froze in his position, not knowing what to react from this situation. He was both shocked and baffled by Yu Jin’s words. He looked at the photo again, making sure he was not making a mistake. He was not.

 

How could he not recognise his own beloved father?

 

“Yu Jin,” He muttered under his breath, “That’s my father.”

 

-

Author's Note:

I am good in cliffhangers, haha!