You Two

Behind That Stage

Ki Kwang and Yo Seob were both silent in the bus as they rode to Yo Seob’s house. Both were thinking about different things. Yo Seob was obviously harping on the issue of the similar photos while Ki Kwang was worrying about his future.

 

“Yo Seob,” Ki Kwang nudged him when he realised Yo Seob was different ever since they left Ki Kwang’s house, “Why are you so distracted?”

 

“No, I’m not. I’m just… I’m just tired.” Yo Seob was avoiding his eyes intentionally and fiddled with his fingers uncomfortably.

 

Ki Kwang misunderstood his actions and said, “Yo Seob, are you thinking about your career? Your fans and what you had when you were in CUBE?” Yo Seob tilted his head and frowned. Ki Kwang continued, “It seems like my fault that you are losing all these. You have the talent to be in CUBE and be more successful but I have dragged you down with me… I-“

 

“Look, Ki Kwang,” Yo Seob stopped him, “It’s all my choice. I wasn’t happy in CUBE and there’s no way I’m going back there. Yes, singing and writing is my passion but if I cannot do it my way, there’s no point.”

 

Ki Kwang bit his lips, “If only…”

 

“If only?”

 

“If only I have just one-third of your talent – singing,” Ki Kwang admitted, “Although you’re my friend but I can’t help but be envy at your talent in singing and writing. I have trained for so long but my singing is still not up to standard. I just cannot sing. I’m not talented and talent matters in showbiz…”

 

“Ki Kwang…”

 

Suddenly, a passenger in front of them started screaming and pointing to the driver, “Someone, help! The driver!”

 

Yo Seob peeked as he stood up to see what happened. The driver had his head lowered to the wheel and hands were off the wheel – he had fainted in the midst of driving. For whatever reason, everyone was clueless.

 

Right now, the passengers were panicking as no one was there to take the steering wheel. Like a split second, the bus started to go haywire and turned left and right without control. Screeches were heard from the wheels of the bus and people were thrown off from left to right.

 

“What are we going to do?!” Ki Kwang shouted at Yo Seob.

 

Yo Seob went forward and grabbed the steering wheel but it was all too late. An oncoming car was approaching the bus like a flash of lightning. Without any delay, Yo Seob held his hand up to block his vision, knowing what was going to happen next.

 

-

 

“Yo Seob, where are you?” Yu Jin paced around the recording studio of Y.S and waited for Yo Seob to arrive. They were supposed to meet each other to pack his things together but he was not here yet. She felt something was amiss as Yo Seob had never been so late and he would have called.

 

Her phone rang and she felt something was going very wrong. She picked up her phone with hesitation even though she knew who was calling her, “Hello?”

 

“Yu Jin! I was just wondering if you are around the area…”

 

“Ki Kwang! Is Yo Seob with you now? He’s not picking up my phone calls,” Yu Jin said immediately in a worried tone.

 

Ki Kwang hesitated and replied, “Yes he is. I was going to tell you that we met with a traffic accident and-“

 

“What? Where? How?” Yu Jin exclaimed and asked more questions, “Is Yo Seob alright? Where are you guys? I’m coming over now.”

 

Telling her the address of the hospital they were in, she hung up the phone immediately and set off in a hurry.

 

-

 

Yo Seob came out of the ward with a bandage on his arm. He had been overthrown while trying to hold on to the steering wheel and hit his arm against the window of the bus. Ki Kwang was not badly hurt as he had a slight bruise on his forehead.

 

“Did you talk to someone just now? I heard you talking,” Yo Seob approached Ki Kwang who was waiting for him outside.

 

Ki Kwang was slightly perplexed as he answered Yo Seob, “Well, yeah. I called Yu Jin. She’s coming over.”

 

“What? No! Why did you tell her about this? You’re going to make her worry.” Yo Seob widened his eyes and sighed. He knew Yu Jin would start nagging at him and be worried.

 

“Well, she’s our friend so…” Ki Kwang was not confident with his words anymore. He noticed Yu Jin was overly concerned for Yo Seob, not even giving a single attention to him when he mentioned they got into an accident. And the first question she asked was if Yo Seob was with him.

 

Yu Jin’s footsteps became nearer as she approached the ward. She turned and saw Ki Kwang and Yo Seob standing outside. Her face was not good as she ran towards them. Ki Kwang stepped forward and waved to Yu Jin to show that they were here, “Yu Jin, here!”

 

She ran as fast as she could and yelled, “Yo Seob!”

 

Skipping past Ki Kwang who was just a step ahead of Yo Seob, she treated Ki Kwang as invisible. Ki Kwang’s expression became stiff as Yu Jin did not acknowledge his presence and went towards Yo Seob. He turned around to see Yu Jin’s attention fully on his best friend.

 

“Yo Seob!” She ran into his arms and hugged him tightly, burying her whole face into his chest, forgetting that his arm was bandaged but Yo Seob did not complain about the pain for his beloved girl was here with him.

 

“Yo Seob, you had me worried when I heard you were in an accident,” Yu Jin cupped his face and checked for more wounds, “Are you hurt anywhere else? Don’t worry me like this anymore!”

 

“I’m sorry, Yu Jin. I’m alright, don’t worry,” Yo Seob comforted her endlessly.

 

Ki Kwang stood at the pathway and continued staring at them. Yo Seob realised Ki Kwang was there and pushed Yu Jin gently away with Yu Jin’s hands still on Yo Seob’s chest.

 

“You two.”

 

Ki Kwang paused.

 

“You two.”