You

Behind That Stage

Yu Jin put down the headphones after hearing the last song from the playlist of her iPod. She still used the same old iPod few years ago. She touched the scratches of the iPod at the left hand corner. She smiled, remembering how she got these scratches.

 

It was that night she first met Yo Seob when Yo Seob saved her from a robber. He was the one who retrieved the iPod and found out her love for Y.S’ music. Thanks to this iPod, Yo Seob and her met and got to this state.

 

Then, her smile faded away and rage was starting to boil. She knew she had no position to be angry but she could not help it. She stomped her feet angrily but luckily, she was alone in the dance room.

 

Suddenly, the door creaked open and she stood up with an annoyed tone, “You’re finally here?”

 

The person stepped in and the lights.

 

“Oh, it’s you,” Her happiness turned to disappointment.

 

“I’m sorry you’re not the person you’re looking for,” Ki Kwang crossed his arms and smirked when he saw his little sister pouted with disappointment. He took her in his arms and sat down with her, “I’m guessing Yo Seob is late for the date again, huh?”

 

Yu Jin did not want to say a word to complain to him. After all, it was not Yo Seob’s fault that his schedule was hectic. His popularity rose ever since the incident happened at the first concert. Of course there were mixed reactions to the exposure but Yo Seob and Ki Kwang handled it well enough to make it possible for Y.S to re-appear again.

 

“What position am I in to tell you all my grievances? As a sister or as an employee?” Yu Jin teased as she squinted her eyes and stared at Ki Kwang.

 

Ki Kwang chuckled and pinched her cheeks playfully, “Although my position has changed now, you can always tell me anything, my adorable little sister.”

 

After Ki Kwang exposed himself as not being Y.S, he was back to basics. He gave himself a three months break to think of his own actions and future. Then, the management informed him that the CEO had a and was not able to be back to work indefinitely. From then on, Ki Kwang held the responsibility of managing the company as the acting CEO. It was, after all, his family business. Even though he retired being a singer, he still chipped in ideas for his artistes and created dance movements to ignite his passion for dancing and performing.

 

“Can you please, please, please let Yo Seob rest? It has been one month since I have seen him face-to-face! Phone calls and SNS aren’t enough. Besides, his health is getting worse from flying from one continent to another and…” Yu Jin realised Ki Kwang was nodding to everything she said but grinning from ear to ear. She sighed and confessed shyly, “I miss him a lot.”

 

“You know tonight’s his last night of his concert right?” Ki Kwang asked.

 

“Yes, of course.” Yu Jin knew his schedule perfectly that she could memorise it in her heart.

 

Ki Kwang question, “Why didn’t you go?”

 

“Well, I don’t want anyone to suspect us. If I go for every concert, people will start talking…” She mentioned it, secretly trying to hide her sadness.

 

Yo Seob had kept his relationship a secret even though he re-debuted. The past CEO had told him to do so to prevent another scandal from happening. And they managed to keep it low until now but sometimes, it was hard for them to be so secretive like thieves. In addition, Yu Jin did not like to be living in such conditions but she understood his plight perfectly.

 

“Let’s go.” Ki Kwang took her hand and pulled her out of the room.

 

“Go where?”

 

“To his concert.”

 

Ki Kwang managed to get two masks to hide their faces in the midst of the fans. They pretended to be a couple and got positions at the front row where they could see him perfectly. The concert had started and in fact, it was ending. Yo Seob left one more song to sing before he concluded the concert.

 

“Hello, beautifuls. This will be my last song for you,” Yo Seob sighed and pretended to cry and wipe his tears.

 

The fans awed and screamed in denial when he said that. Yu Jin rolled her eyes at his cheesiness. She remembered when he had stage fright but now, he could even joke with the fans. Ki Kwang smirked at his attempt.

 

“For my last song, I will pick one of my beautiful fans to come up on the stage and sing with me. The person I’ll be choosing will be very special in my heart. Don’t be jealous, alright?” He joked again and the fans responded favourably to him.

 

I’m gonna make you love me I love you
I’m only happy when you are here. I always just need you

 

The music started but the lights started to dim until Yo Seob could not be seen. And then, the screen started to flash some words while the music was playing. Besides the lyrics of the song “You”, the words were as followed,

 

“To that special you,
 do you remember the chocolates you rejected, the love you rejected?
Do you remember how Y.S was the one that bring us both together?”

Even though I can’t say it right now,
Even when I keep getting nervous looking at you
I always think of you
You don’t know yet, you don’t know my love
I just need you

“I remember the du-geun, du-geun feeling when I first asked you out.
I remember the blush on my face while you touched my heart.”

 

Yu Jin and the rest of the fans were getting confused with the words on the screen but no one said a thing. However, the words related perfectly to her.

 

I want you like this
I just keep seeing you
In my head, it’s filled with the thoughts of you.
I’m so happy all day
I sing a song for you
Anytime

 

Suddenly, the lights went back on again and Yo Seob was standing right in front of her, singing the song. He flashed a smile when Yu Jin was taken aback and looked around in panic. She hid her face quickly and tried to seek Ki Kwang’s help. However, Ki Kwang pushed her forward to Yo Seob as he sang the chorus.

 

I’m gonna make you love me I love you
I’m only happy when you are here. I always just need you

Because of you you you you
I only think of you 
Love me, love me
Only look at me

 

Then, he took her hand and brought her up the stage. Despite resisting, Yo Seob was much stronger than her. She tried to cover her eyes and protected her identity. She did not know what to do except to follow his lead.

 

When you are so tired and facing hard times, when you are in pain
I’ll be satisfied if I’m the person you look for
I’m happy with just that
Oh baby all right

I’m gonna make you love me I love you
I’m only happy when you are here. I always just need you

 

Yo Seob took her hands away and removed her mask. She tried to cover it but Yo Seob assured her it was okay to do so. Somehow or somewhat, she felt secured around him and trusted him instead of resisting any longer.

 

Because of you you you you
I only think of you 
Love me, love me
Only look at me

 

Suddenly, Yo Seob stopped singing but the music kept playing. He stared into Yu Jin’s eyes and cupped her cheeks carefully. The fans went hysterical, perhaps thinking how lucky this ‘fan’ was to be able to get physical contact with Y.S.

 

Then, Yo Seob spoke into the microphone, “My beautiful fans, this is the special person who has given me strength to be here, singing to you all. Isn’t she beautiful as well? Do you approve of such beautiful person?”

 

Slowly, what seemed like a miracle, pink lightsticks began to light up the whole stadium, signalling to Yo Seob that the fans of Y.S approved of him dating and would support them regardless of whatever happened as long as Yo Seob was happy.

 

“Lee Yu Jin, thank you for being there for me. The special you, whom I always think of, is irreplaceable.” Yo Seob smiled and grinned sheepishly to his fans before making a turn back to look at Yu Jin.

 

Without a thought, he pressed his lips lightly on Yu Jin’s lips while cupping the left of her cheek. Yu Jin was taken aback and took a step back but Yo Seob pulled her back gently to show it was okay. He closed his eyes and the kiss lasted for five seconds.

 

The crowd went insane and started screaming – some were happy and some were jealous but it was alright, as long as their “Oppa” was happy and the girl gave him happiness.

 

The music ended and Yo Seob broke away from the kiss. Yu Jin was touched because Yo Seob had finally made their relationship public and there was no more hiding to do. She punched his shoulder lightly and whispered, “Looks like you’ll pull a surprise at every single concert.”

 

“Oh well, you can always punish me behind the stage.” He her hair and laughed.

 

“Right,” She pouted, “Behind the stage.”