Nightmare

Behind That Stage

“Class is over!” The trainees cheered for joy and left the dance room after bidding Yu Jin goodbye. As usual, Ki Kwang waited for her to pack up her things to leave together. It had almost become a routine but this time, Yu Jin shook her head.

 

“I’m going to stay and practice my dance for a while.” Yu Jin explained and started the music once again.

 

Ki Kwang was in disbelief. They just went through a gruelling session of dancing and she was back into the rhythm again. However, the music this time was different from before. “That doesn’t sound like what we learn for classes.” He commented after just five seconds of the music.

 

“You’re right. This is ballet music. I’m practicing ballet – something that you don’t major in. Go on and leave without me.”

 

“I’m staying to watch. This isn’t an everyday sight to see.” Ki Kwang pulled out a chair and sat the other way round, leaning his chest against the chair’s back. As he watched her dance, he was amazed at how versatile she was and that made his heart flutter.

 

At the transparent part of the door, someone was silently watching her as well – it was none other than Mr Lee. He stood outside the room for a few minutes now, looking at Yu Jin danced from one end to the other side of the room, without batting an eyelid. Instead of being amazed, his concern grew as time passed.

 

“This can’t be.” He repeated the same words as before, “How can someone be so alike? How can our paths cross again in this manner? Is it just a matter of coincidence?”

 

At that moment, Yu Jin raised her sleeves because of the heat in the room and Mr Lee caught sight of them. Instead of being disgusted like ordinary people did, he opened his eyes in shock and shook his head, “No. That can’t be it. Aren’t the wounds…”

 

“Mr Lee.” Someone popped out of nowhere and startled Mr Lee who was “spying” on Yu Jin. Yo Seob was carrying his cups of coffee and heading to the dance room to meet Ki Kwang and Yu Jin, “Is anything the matter?”

 

Yo Seob’s voice had raised the attention of Yu Jin and Ki Kwang inside. Ki Kwang opened the door and spoke in a harsh tone, “What are you doing here? You never come in here.”

 

“Just spot checking on your performance.” Mr Lee reasoned out calmly but his eyes never left Yu Jin. Yu Jin noticed his fixed gaze and looked at Yo Seob for distraction.

 

Yo Seob tried to lighten the mood and smiled, “Mr Lee, we were just heading out for a break. Do you need to tell us anything?” He hoped not, fearing that Mr Lee would mention about the identity issue again.

 

“No, there’s nothing.” Mr Lee looked distraught.

 

“Okay,” Yo Seob ended off awkwardly and nudged Ki Kwang, “Let’s go.”

 

Yu Jin went over to the end of the room to get her bag and stuff. All of a sudden, Mr Lee realised the speaker on top of her was already halfway on the edge of the shelf. He stepped forward quickly to Yu Jin and said, “Yu Jin, be careful of th-“

 

However, it was almost too late for the warning. Yu Jin caught her leg in the midst of messy wires and triggered the speaker to fall from the shelf. Mr Lee ran towards her and yelled, “Yu Jin, duck!”

 

He caught her in her arms immediately and shifted their way away from the falling speaker which crashed down on the floor, hitting his left leg. With Yu Jin underneath him, he protected her with both of his arms. Unfortunately, Yu Jin’s head hit the side of the wall with Mr Lee’s right hand sprained while catching her fall.

 

Both of them screamed in pain before Yu Jin out from the accident.

 

Before she became unconscious, her mind was in a whirl as she could hear Mr Lee’s voice clearly and heard Yo Seob and Ki Kwang calling out for her name desperately, “Yu Jin! Are you okay? Wake up!”

 

Slipping into an unconscious mode, she gave up and fell into a deep slumber. However, her mind was not peaceful at all.

 

Suddenly, she dreamt that she was in the room of fire, trying to find her way out. She called out for help but like a frozen statue, she was unable to move, “Help me! Help me!” Her voice was that of a teenager and she was crying non-stop. She could feel the immense burn on her arm and leg but she could not move.

 

“Don’t worry. Don’t worry.” She heard a man pacifying her but he was too blurry to be seen in the fog. She knew she was going to be rescued but chances were slim. The man moved the furniture away from her leg and covered her with a blanket which ease the pain of the burn in her limbs, “Yu Jin, be careful.”

 

The mysterious man from the dream seemed so familiar but unreal. Who was he? She had no idea. It seemed like there was no hope for them to survive. The man started coughing and finding the way out from the smoky room as he dragged her weary body together with him. Yu Jin tried to open her eyes and recognise the man but to no avail. She had no energy to do so.

 

What seemed like an unfortunate event, she heard a loud crack on the ceiling and noticed there was a huge fan above the both of them. The fan gave way and fell down to where they were trapped. The man covered Yu Jin with his arms and yelled so that she could hear his warning even if she was not conscious, “Yu Jin, duck!”

 

She covered her face in accordance to his words and felt something crashing down. She winced in pain as the feeling of the burn started creeping in again.

 

“No!” Yu Jin woke up and panted heavily.

 

Gripping on the blanket, her face was dripping with perspiration and she could not make sense of things anymore. What was the reality? Where was she?

 

“Yu Jin! Are you okay?”

 

She turned her head and became relieved at who she saw, “Yo Seob! Yo Seob! I’m so scared. I’m so…”

 

“Shh, it’s okay. It’s just a nightmare.” Yo Seob hugged her back and patted her head lightly to comfort her nerves.

 

She buried her face into his hair and neck and started sobbing once again. She shut her eyes tight as she got reminded of the scary dream she had before. After what seemed like eternity, she opened her eyes again as her cries became softer.

 

It was just then she realised Ki Kwang was sitting on the other end of the bed, waiting for her to wake up as well. But at that point in time, Yu Jin could see no one except for Yo Seob. Ki Kwang had witnessed all of the hugging and crying at one side, hoping that Yu Jin seek comfort in him instead.

 

He was wrong.

 

And he felt uneasy.

-

 

Author's Note:

Hello, everyone. Sorry for the late update. I have been very busy with studies and life so I can't update as much as I want to. :( I will be more than happy if you still continue to read and comment on my story. Comments are the ones that motivate me to write. :)