Our Father

Behind That Stage

“Where’s Ki Kwang?”

 

Yu Jin scanned around to find him missing from the recording studio. That’s weird. The schedule said he was supposed to be here.

 

“Ki Kwang had something on today, he took an afternoon off.” Yo Seob mentioned.

 

Yu Jin tilted her head, “Why didn’t you follow him along? I thought you’re his manager…”

 

“Well, it was inconvenient for me to follow him today,” Yo Seob hesitated on whether he should say more to Yu Jin. He paused and finally relented, “Today’s his father’s death anniversary.”

 

“It’s today?”

 

-

 

Kneeling down after placing all his things down, he wiped the surface of his father’s picture, “Father, I have come to visit you. I’m sorry for not coming often. I was busy.”

 

He set the table with flowers and his father’s favourite food, “Look, I bought all these for you. Are you living well here? Are you happy? Like I said, I was busy. Busy with? Well, Father, as you wish, I debuted! I finally debuted…”

 

His voice trailed off as he remembered what the CEO, his uncle, mentioned. His father set up the company for Yu Jin, not him. He looked at his father’s portrait and questioned, “What is really going on, Father? Please, please tell me you sincerely wish me well for becoming a singer. You’re happy I’m successful… right?”

 

“Right?”

 

He was not confident anymore.

 

He touched the picture and traced his father’s features, “But I’m not happy.”

 

“Why not?”

 

Ki Kwang turned around to find Yu Jin at the entrance. She was leaning against the door and then she walked towards him. However, she did not stop in front of him. She stood in front of his… their father.

 

“Father will be happy to know that his son is successful, won’t he?” Yu Jin asked.

 

Ki Kwang gulped and answered, “Will he be happy if he knows his son is successful through despicable means? Will he be disappointed instead? Will he hate me?”

 

Yu Jin approached Ki Kwang and touched his left cheek, “A father will never hate his own son, no matter what he does, Ki Kwang. Even though things may have gone wrong between the three of us, I know, in Father’s heart, you will always be his number one. No one can replace you in Father’s heart.”

 

“Yu Jin…”

 

“Ki Kwang.”

 

“Yes?”

 

She suddenly smiled and took the guitar that she brought with her. She waved it at Ki Kwang and admitted, “I wrote a song about Father. I’m not quite finished yet and there are still parts I’m unsure about.” She stepped forward and took two chairs, “Would you like to listen to it?”

 

“You want me to listen to your song?” Ki Kwang tried to confirm.

 

“Yes, I want Father and you to be the first to hear it,” Yu Jin said, “Sit beside me, will you?”

 

Ki Kwang could not reject her offer with her gentle and warm expression. Without a word, he sat down with her as she started to fine tune her guitar.

 

His lonely back seemed so unfamiliar
I just watched him as he walked along
And tears just formed so I just cried
Because I hated myself for not knowing all this time

 

Because he always pretended to be calm and smiled
Because he always pretended to be strong in front of me
I didn’t even think of it, I thought I would never see it
So I didn’t know about his lonely back

 

Somehow, Ki Kwang’s eyes started to turn red after hearing the lyrics. He kept having a grudge against his father, Yu Jin and even Yo Seob for the failure of his career but now, he was having second thoughts. Actually, he was selfish when everyone else around him was treating him nicely.

 

I didn’t know back then, I was too young
You must have been lonelier than anyone else but I didn’t approach you
Now I finally know, I hope it’s not too late
These are the words I wanted to say so much, I love you forever
My father

 

There was a short silence between them. Their eyes met and Yu Jin gave a reassuring smile to Ki Kwang. She asked him gently, “What do you think of the song?”

 

“It’s beautiful. The song is beautiful.” He commented briefly and his expression changed, “I know why Father set up the company just for you. You’re talented, just like Yo Seob. If it was me, I would have groomed you instead of me. Now I know his intentions. He’s right. The CEO is right.”

 

“Ki Kwang…”

 

“No, listen. I have to admit I am not meant to be a singer. I force my way through things and get what I want without considering people’s feelings. I have hurt Yo Seob. I have hurt you.” Ki Kwang stood up and looked at his father’s picture, “Most importantly, I have hurt Father.”

 

“Then I have hurt him too…” Yu Jin said randomly.

 

“Why?” Ki Kwang was surprised with her words.

 

Yu Jin shrugged and said, “It’s true I used to join singing and dancing competitions but performing isn’t my forte anymore. It’s my passion but that doesn’t mean I have to make it my career. I love dancing and singing, it’s true. But that doesn’t mean I have to be a performer for anyone else. I perform for myself, not others.”

 

Ki Kwang admired her words and nodded. He asked again, “You don’t want to debut? Really?”

 

“Yeah,” Yu Jin said without hesitation, “I like teaching. That’s why I’m an instructor in CUBE. It’s what I like to do as my career and I don’t intend to change that for now.”

 

“Ki Kwang,” Yu Jin called his name and he looked up immediately, “Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”

 

“Why? Yu Jin…” Ki Kwang stuttered, “Why are you treating me so nicely? Even when I treated you and Yo Seob like this.”

 

“That’s because…” Yu Jin paused and look at her father, “That’s because you’re my Oppa.”

 

Ki Kwang avoided her eyes.

 

“I know you don’t like to accept that but I want you to remember I will always be here for you because I know Father wants us to be that way.” Yu Jin explained.

 

“You’re always be my Oppa, Ki Kwang.”

-

 

Author's Note:

BTOB is one of my favourite rookie groups out there (JJ Project is still my favourite though). :) Another chapter for today to make up for the long waits you guys have to endure! <3