Truth

Behind That Stage

“What? No! This is my family photo. The only family photo I have of my father, mother and myself in the same place.” Yu Jin was very sure of her own words, looking at Ki Kwang with determined eyes.

 

Ki Kwang’s eyes blinked numerous times and he choked. He was certain it was his father instead, “Yu Jin, he’s the ex-CEO of CUBE – Lee Hyun Joon. I mentioned it to you before.”

 

Speechless, she knew that Ki Kwang was right. That name rang a bell and the face was undeniably Lee Hyun Joon, the previous CEO of CUBE. However, she had no recollection of that fact. She could not remember what her father did before he died.

 

Yo Seob comforted her by giving her a squeeze on the shoulder gently. Ki Kwang turned to Yo Seob and demanded for answers, “Yo Seob, why did this fall out of your pocket?”

 

Sighing that he could not keep the secret no more, he finally revealed, “I found this in your father’s drawer when I was packing things for you. I’m sorry for chancing upon it and not telling you about it. I saw the same photo at Yu Jin’s place but the man’s face was blurred. I figure I need to find some answers before telling you guys about this mysterious photo.”

 

“You’re always like that!” Yu Jin snapped at Yo Seob, “You’re always keeping things to yourself. You think you are doing a favour but you’re not, Yo Seob.”

 

Ki Kwang dropped his head and held onto the photo firmly, “There’s only one way we can find out the truth.”

 

“How?” Yo Seob and Yu Jin echoed each other.

 

“There’s only one person.” Ki Kwang frowned.

 

-

 

Ki Kwang barged into the office without knocking. Mr Lee sat in his seat, not expecting Ki Kwang to greet him politely as usual. He sighed and rubbed his temple, “What is it this time, Ki Kwang?”

 

He glanced the two figures behind Ki Kwang and his face lit up, “Ah, Yo Seob. I was waiting for you.”

 

“Sorry, Mr Lee. We have another issue to confront.” Yo Seob tried to be gentle as possible as he was holding onto Yu Jin’s hand tightly without letting go. Mr Lee spotted that and hesitated.

 

Ki Kwang placed the photo on his table and scrutinised Mr Lee’s face. Mr Lee’s face became dark almost immediately. He gulped nervously and tried to stay calm as before, “Ki Kwang, what is this?”

 

“We are the ones who should be asking the questions,” Ki Kwang demanded and pointed at the picture, “Why is Father in this picture? And why is Yu Jin inside?”

 

Yu Jin let go off Yo Seob’s hand when Mr Lee did not answer. She went over to his side and bit her lips, “Please, Mr Lee. I know that is Lee Hyun Joon. I remember everything. He’s my father but how can it be? I need the truth.”

 

“Some things are not meant to be known.”

 

Ki Kwang almost felt like flipping over the table and get over with it. He bellowed, “How can you say this? This matter concerns the both of us and we are equally clueless. You cannot be selfish to keep everything away from us!”

 

Yu Jin closed her eyes and pulled her sleeves up.

 

“Yu Jin!” Yo Seob exclaimed.

 

She revealed her nasty scars from the fire accident even though she was traumatised by it. She never wanted to recall the awful accident but she had to.

 

She whispered, “You are the one who save me from death.”

 

Mr Lee’s ears perked up, “You…” He stuttered and continued, “You remember.”

 

Ki Kwang and Yo Seob were equally dumbfounded. Yu Jin nodded slowly.

 

“You saved me from the fire. I remember Dad was in the fire as well but I could not save him like how you saved me.” Yu Jin tried to recall the images from before. Their faces were etched clearly into her head.

 

Yu Jin started to tear, “I have only one father. And I lost him. But the pain of not knowing how I lost him is far worse, Mr Lee.”

 

Mr Lee softened at the sight of Yu Jin’s expression.

 

“Please.”

 

For a couple of seconds, there was nothing but silence.

 

Yu Jin was already grabbing onto his sleeve helplessly, begging Mr Lee to reveal the truth behind the accident and the true identity of her biological father.

 

Mr Lee removed her hand away from his sleeve and he held onto her hand tightly. Yu Jin sniffed and waited for an answer.

 

“Okay, Yu Jin. I will tell you the truth. Not a single word will be left out,” Mr Lee promised. At that point, he did not seem like the devil advocate like Ki Kwang expected him to be. Suddenly, he was this fatherly looking person who just wanted to help someone.

 

“Ki Kwang. Yo Seob. Yu Jin.” He called every single one of them and led them to the big couch on the right side of his large office, “Please have a seat.”

 

He drank a sip of his coffee and looked at Ki Kwang and Yu Jin respectively, “The truth is…”

 

They waited anxiously.

 

“Both of you are siblings.”