Chaos

Behind That Stage

With his pride being destroyed, Ki Kwang left the scene without a word. Yu Jin wanted to grab hold of him but Yo Seob stopped her immediately. He shook his head slightly, “I’ll go.”

 

Yo Seob followed him out silently until Ki Kwang reached the garden located somewhere in the hospital. It was fairly quiet there with a few or no people around. Ki Kwang stopped in his tracks, clearly aware that Yo Seob was behind him. “What is it? Stop following me.” Ki Kwang said with a monotonous tone.

 

“I can explain, Ki Kwang.” Yo Seob answered but he knew he could not do it – not at this point.

 

“So…” Ki Kwang’s voice trailed away, revealing his disappointment, “She’s the girl you met on the streets right?”

 

Yo Seob looked down, feeling guilty and hopeless.

 

“She’s the girl you fell in love on your first encounter and she’s the girl who you brought to a date.” They were no longer questions but confirmations by Ki Kwang.

 

Yo Seob walked towards Ki Kwang bravely and faced him, “Ki Kwang, I’m sorry. I should have told you earlier but there were so many things that happened and I hadn’t had a chance to tell you…”

 

“Stop.” Ki Kwang raised his hand up and shut his eyes tightly, “I don’t want to hear a single word.” Ki Kwang opened his eyes and stared at Yo Seob coldly, “Right now, I feel like a fool. I told you my feelings about Yu Jin and you behaved as if nothing was going on between you two. I told you – everything. I am really a fool.”

 

“You’re my best friend. I don’t want to hurt y-“

 

“If you really treat me as one, you should have told me the truth!” Ki Kwang raised his voice unintentionally and clenched his fist tightly. He gritted his teeth and raised his fist as Yo Seob closed his eyes and turned stiff.

 

“Stop! Stop!”

 

Yu Jin came forward and grabbed Ki Kwang’s wrist, “Don’t!”

 

“Don’t stop me.” Ki Kwang bellowed.

 

Yu Jin held up a newspaper to both of their eye levels and they read it together: Famous ‘faceless’ composer-singer Y.S has decided to retire from showbiz. Fans from all over Korea are devastated and are rioting outside CUBE Entertainment to demand Y.S to return.

 

“Oh no.” Yo Seob said.

 

“We need to go back to CUBE.” Ki Kwang ordered.

 

-

 

Three of them were standing outside the company and witnessing the big commotion outside the CUBE Company and the CUBE café. Huge crowds of Y.S’ fans were squeezing their way into the company but the guards were too powerful for them. Nevertheless, the atmosphere was tensed and crazy.

 

They rushed their way through the crowd, passing the guards with difficulty and climbed up the stairs to the CEO’s office.

 

Mr Lee seemed to be expecting their return and sat on his chair, waiting for them, “Ah, you guys are quicker than I thought.” He noticed Yu Jin’s presence with the two guys and was shocked, “Yu Jin, why are you… here?”

 

“That’s not important, Mr Lee,” Yu Jin said at once and stepped forward, “Have you seen the commotion down there? It’s hectic and sir, you should do something about it. Please.”

 

“I can’t. You have to ask these two boys,” Mr Lee looked at them, “They were the ones who made the decision to leave without thinking it through. Their recklessness has done this, not me.” He stood up and crossed his arms, “Plus, I don’t benefit from this either. The company may just lose millions just because of this scandal. Yo Seob, you will have to pay the price for it – for the contract you have signed.”

 

“Pay? Where do I get the money?” Yo Seob demanded.

 

“You have earned loads of money here and you’re saying you don’t have money to pay me?” Mr Lee frowned and shook his head.

 

Yo Seob sighed and replied, “Almost all of the money is given to the company!”

 

Mr Lee pondered for a moment and tapped his finger on the table, “Yang Yo Seob, Y.S, I am giving you another chance.” He pointed at Ki Kwang again, “One, Ki Kwang will pose as Y.S while he lip-syncs. Two, you reveal yourself. Three, you pay the price for this mess.”

 

Yo Seob paced around the room with anxiety. He still could not overcome his fear of stage and the audience. He was not confident of performing in front of people. He could not. He could not afford to pay so much money to Mr Lee as well. It was then, the last choice he had.

 

“Ki Kwang,” Yu Jin turned to Ki Kwang and pleaded, “Can you do something about it?”

 

Yo Seob bit his lips, waiting for Ki Kwang’s answer. With a cold stare, Ki Kwang glanced at Yo Seob for a second and stayed determined, “No. I will never pose as someone – especially when someone has betrayed me.”

 

Yo Seob felt a sharp pain in his heart. Ki Kwang was obviously still mad at him for lying. To Ki Kwang, Yo Seob was a backstabber and a betrayer. A friendship of many years was just shattered in minutes.

 

Mr Lee said, “Looks like even pride is more important that friendship.” He turned to Yo Seob and nodded, “I’ll give you one week, Yo Seob. One week to pay off the debt you owe me, if not, you suffer the consequences.”

 

Yu Jin wanted to say another word but Yo Seob took her hand and signalled her not to. Yu Jin gave Ki Kwang a final glare before she left the room in a huff. She could not believe Ki Kwang would leave his friend in the lurch at this point in time. However, Ki Kwang did not budge a bit.

 

He stayed in his position for the longest time ever, feelings were mixed and confused.