Mixed Feelings

Behind That Stage

Setting his luggage down on the floor and stepping into his own room, Ki Kwang stood in front of a middle-aged lady who was holding onto laundry, “Thank you, I’ll be packing up and leaving in half an hour.”

 

“Sir, are you sure you’re leaving for good? You know you don’t have to do that…” The servant begged him with pleading eyes.

 

Ki Kwang smiled gently and said, “I have no choice. Sorry for making this selfish decision.” He turned to Yo Seob and raised his eyebrows, “Thank you for coming.”

 

“Yeah, right. You asked me here to be your servant and carry your belongings to my house.” Yo Seob said in a monotonous tone and took up his luggage, “Now where should we start packing?”

 

“Starting from… my father’s room.”

 

The house was nowhere large nor small. It was just right for a family of six but only Mr Lee, his wife, his son and a servant lived here. Ki Kwang left home to stay at CUBE but his things were still intact here since he did not need much belongings at the company. Now, he was leaving for good, for he did not feel he belonged into this unfamiliar family.

 

“Your dad’s room? Why?” Yo Seob was baffled as Ki Kwang took out a key and opened the door to his father’s room. The room was initially locked and only Ki Kwang had access to his father’s room, not wanting anyone to enter.

 

He opened and stepped in. Surprisingly, there were no cobwebs or visible dust around, showing that Ki Kwang had come over frequently to clean it up. The room was neat and organised, as if his father never passed away. Photos of him were around and the bed sheets were neatly tucked.

 

Ki Kwang saw the amazed expression on Yo Seob and waved in front of him, “I’ll be getting some things from the cabinet. I don’t want to stay for long in case that man comes back from work.”

 

“What duties do you have for me then?” Yo Seob asked but what could he possible touch in this very room?

 

Pointing at the study table, Ki Kwang casually said, “Maybe you can go there and flip through some photo albums for me. I want to keep memories of my family. He placed all of his photo albums under the table. He treasures every photo we took.” Ki Kwang’s voice became softer as he spoke, thinking about his father deeply.

 

He smiled back to assure Yo Seob, “I’ll be on the other side of the room.”

 

Yo Seob got to work and sat on the roller chair, gliding himself to the study table. He opened the drawers and found all the photo albums he needed to find. As expected, all of the pictures were kept neatly in the photo albums but yellow stains were seen at the edges of the albums for they had been almost decade old.

 

Getting up from his seat, he placed the photo albums in the luggage. He took a tissue paper and wiped the table clean. He reorganised the books which are hidden in the drawers where the photo albums were in the first place.

 

Like it was natural for him to do so, Yo Seob picked up a piece of paper that was sticking out of one of his books. He took it and had a quick look. It was Ki Kwang’s father with a woman and child – however it was not Ki Kwang’s mother or him.

 

The child was a female and the lady was different.

 

He felt it was like déjà vu. He pondered for a long time, crossing his eyebrows on where he had seen this picture before. And then, what seemed like eternity, he finally recalled where he had seen this picture before.

 

Yu Jin’s only family photo.

 

Except it was a little different.

 

The man in her picture was blurred and unknown.

 

Now he realised the man in her photo was Ki Kwang’s father. However, he remembered Yu Jin saying that he was her father. How could Ki Kwang’s father be hers? How could a man possibly have two wives at the same time?

 

Did he remember the wrong picture?

 

Most likely not.

 

The picture was too unique to remember it wrongly. Yo Seob grasped the picture with all his might, trying to figure everything out on his own but to no avail.

 

“Yo Seob, are you done?” Ki Kwang shouted and Yo Seob heard Ki Kwang’s loud footsteps coming towards him.

 

Without a thought, Yo Seob kept the photo in his pocket and closed the drawers, “All done!” His voice shivered a little and he was hoping Ki Kwang would not notice the change in his expression.

 

“Are you alright? You look pale.” Ki Kwang commented.

 

“Yes, I am!” Yo Seob blinked.

 

Ki Kwang smiled and patted his back, “Thank you, my best friend. Now we can leave before he comes back and I’ll have to face him once again. Let’s go.”

 

“Yes, that’s right…” Yo Seob muttered and touched the photo that was kept safely in his right pocket of his trousers.

 

What was actually going on?