Chapter 4

Fantasic Randomness

"Muffy- Errr, the servant who saved you isn't here right now. She went to the bathroom your highness." Miki saved, noticing his flustered face that only she could see in the dark room. "Wait outside please. I shall go find her then you can say your thank yous and see how she's doing, since I know that you're worried about her."
"Thank you." Woohyun replied. "It was so chaotic I couldn't come earlier."

Woohyun left the room to go stand outside. Inside the room the servants were now gossiping about his kindness.

"He really is a good person. He'll be a great king." A few girls squealed.
"Muffy's so lucky. I wish I had saved him instead." Girls said enviously.
Miki was getting annoyed with the girls. "Stop yacking and go to sleep. We have tons to do tomorrow because of the attack."

The girls grumbled, but went back to sleep. Miki went outside bowing as she passed Woohyun.

Miki went to the bathroom, but Muffy was nowhere to be seen. Miki furrowed her eyebrows. Where is she? She-

"I know. But we have no choice." Miki heard Muffy's voice.
"Muffy?" Miki followed Muffy's voice. "What are you doing here? I thought you went to the bathroom."

Myungsoo disappeared behind a statue just as Miki appeared. Muffy tried to think of various excuses.

"I needed air." Muffy mentally slapped herself in the head with her stupid excuse. She knew better than to feed Miki a stupid lie, since Miki was a bit smarter than that.
"Air? Okay, than who were you talking to?" Miki asked. "And why don't you have a choice?"
"I was talking to myself?" Muffy's lie came out a question, which Muffy hoped Miki didn't notice. "You know self consoling. And I was thinking that we really have no choice, but to follow the King's laws and orders. I almost got fired today. What would I do if I did? I have nowhere to go."
"Don't we all." Miki muttered to herself. "By the way Prince Woohyun was looking for you. He's outside our room right now. Probably wants to thank you and see how you were doing." Miki informed.
"Right! Let's go!" Muffy tried to pull Miki away from where they were since Myungsoo was only behind the statue and had no where to run.

Muffy pulled Miki towards the room. Miki had a strange feeling someone was watching her and turned around. Seeing nothing she turned around. Strange. I've been feeling like someone's been watching me for a few weeks.

Myungsoo gasphed and quickly hid behind the statue just as Miki turned her head. He closed his eyes and held his hand to his heart. His heart was beating so fast that he couldn't even could the beats anymore. I hope she didn't see me. God I feel like a stalker. I hate that I have to hide. Stupid laws.

Muffy and Miki saw Woohyun pacing outside the servant's corridor. Miki noticed the lovesick look on Woohyun when he noticed Muffy had returned. Miki mentally sighed to herself. He has fallen in love with her. Muffy's going to have a hard time now. Hopefully she won't love him back. Little did Miki know it was too late for Muffy, as Muffy had already fallen hard for Woohyun and that there was no return from their love.

"I'll be over there." Miki pointed behind herself somewhere.

Miki walked away from the two would be love birds. She walked back to the hallway, hoping that the person who Muffy was talking to was still there.

Myungsoo was about to leave when he heard footsteps. He hid in the shadows of the statue.

"No way." Myungsoo whispered as the scene before him.

Hoya was walking down the hall and Miki was talking towards him. As they walked past each other Hoya grabbed Miki's wrist. Hoya and Miki were facing opposite ways their backs to each other. Hoya whispered something to Miki before coldly walking away. Miki fell on her knees as Hoya left. Her face was filled with sadness.

Myungsoo debated if he should go and help her or if he should stay hidden. He decided to stay hidden as he had no explanation as to why he was in the servant's area of the castle.

Myungsoo watched Miki helplessly. He was torn and bothered by her reaction. He knew nothing of why Hoya was in the servant's area of the castle or what Hoya had told her, but by their actions it was clear that Miki and Hoya knew each other.

Myungsoo remembered what happened earlier when the servants were cleaning the hall. Hoya had asked Myungsoo who Miki was and called Miki cute. Myungsoo's eyes widened. He called her cute. Are they dating? Or were they dating? To Myungsoo the scene looked like Miki and Hoya were breaking up.

Just as Myungsoo thought he was getting a grip of the situation in front of him he was thrown off by the addition of another person.

Sungyeol ran to Miki and hugged her tightly. He helped Miki to her feet and kissed her cheek before hugging her again. Sungyeol caressed Miki as she pulled him closer to her and silently cried into Sungyeol's arms.

Now who's this? What happened just now? What's her relationship with him? Wait he kissed her. What's going on? I thought Hoya- and who's this? Myungsoo's head was going off with many different quesions. Myungsoo never met Sungyeol or knew who Sungyeol was. He was most surprised that Sungyeol kissed Miki's cheek and Miki allowed it. Wait, I thought she and Hoya were together... or were together, but then what about this guy? Who is he? That's going on with Miki, Hoya, and this guy. Muffy didn't tell me about any of this. Muffy didn't tell me Miki had a boyfriend. What's going on?

Myungsoo concentrated on Miki and Sungyeol watching them hoping to catch their conversation. Much to Myungsoo's displeasure Sungyeol and Miki exchanged no words, so Myungsoo had to figure out their relationship through their actions.

Sungyeol pulled Miki away from himself and wiped her tears. He kissed her forehead and genuinely smiled to her. Miki forced herself to smile back. Sungyeol turned Miki towards the large window and wrapped his arms around her shoulder's rocking her back any forth, humming to her softly. He whispered into her ear before sliding his hand down to her hands. Sungyeol gently took Miki's hand as if it were a delicate piece of glass that would break if he didn't hold it properly. Sungyeol led Miki away from the hall.

Myungsoo slid to the floor heartbroken and confused. He thought that Sungyeol was Miki's lover, but he also thought that Hoya was Miki's lover, so he was ultimately confused by their relationship with Miki. Myungsoo was heartbroken by how Sungyeol was treating Miki and touching her. Sungyeol was able to hug and kiss Miki when he himself couldn't even have a conversation with Miki.

A tear slipped from Myungsoo's eye. He sat dejected on the floor, leaning on the statue for support. He felt like his heart was ripped out of his body and thrown away. Why does this hurt so much when I haven't even talked to her? Why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sungyeol and Miki stopped at in the hall before the servant's sleeping quarters. Sungyeol dried Miki's tears once again.

"I heard from Hoya just before you did. I ran as fast as I could." Sungyeol remembered his conversation with Hoya.

FLASHBACK

"Sungyeol." Hoya shook Sungyeol awake.
"Hoya?" Sungyeol sat up.
"We need to talk. Now." Hoya gulped as if trying to keep his composure.

Hoya and Sungyeol went outside the room. Hoya paced around deep in thought. Sungyeol grew nervous just by Hoya's actions.

"The King..." Hoya tried to keep his composure. "He ordered the execution of our entire village a few days ago.
Sungyeol gasped. "No..."
Hoya continued. "I wasn't part of the group that was sent to go there, but a few people I knew were. They said there were no survivors-"
"Who? Who told you? Tell me their names and I'll go ask them personally. This can't be true." Sungyeol exclaimed.
"But it's-"
"Tell me who told you?" Sungyeol grabbed Hoya's collar and growled.
"Kim Myungsoo, but there's no use in confronting him." Hoya replied. "I couldn't believe him as well, so I went to check the village personally. I checked every house, corner, crack, and shadow for survioris, but there was none. All there were was bodies. Bodies, and bodies, and bodies." Hoya was trying not to cry.
Sungyeol held his breath. "Our parents-"
"In their houses- oh god..." Hoya started crying. "Mom was in Miki's room holding all of our pictures. Dad was... Dad fought back. He was in the living room still clutching the gun we bought with our first paycheck from the working here."

Sungyeol's knees gave out and Sungyeol fell to the floor. Hoya knelt down beside him.

"I buried them in the yard and burned the house down." Hoya rubbed Sungyeol's shoulder trying to calm Sungyeol and himself down. "I saved a few things, which I put all inside the bag next to your bed. I kept the gun because I didn't want you get get in trouble if and when they inspect your things."
"So what do we do?" Sungyeol asked now trying to regain his composure.
"In Dad's pocket as well as a the pockets of the rest of the men of our village was a beer bottle cap." Hoya showed Sungyeol the bottle cap from their dad's pocket.
"It's time." Sungyeol bit his lip.
"Yes. It clashes with the people who attacked the castle today, but it's time. I sent for the information to the rest of us from the village who are undercover." Hoya stood up.
Sungyeol grabbed Hoya's arm. "Miki?"
"I'm going over to tell her now." Hoya replied. "Put the things away then find Miki. You're her favorite brother, so she might need your comfort."

END FLASHBACK


Sungyeol handed Miki their mother's necklace and wedding ring. "We wanted you to have this."

Miki stared at the jewels in his hand. Sungyeol slipped it wedding ring onto the necklace and strung it around Miki's neck. Sungyeol was about to retract his hands when Miki grabbed them and pulled him around her. Sungyeol adjusted his arms around Miki.

"When do we strike?" Miki asked boldly, her voice full of vengeance.
"I'm not too sure, but soon. Hoya will let as know as soon as he can." Sungyeol tightened his hold on her.
"I want to know who was part of the people who slaughtered our village." Miki growled. "I'll kill everyone of them and kill the person who killed our family."
Sungyeol sighed and turned Miki around. "Revenge is fine. We all want it, but, Miki just don't get killed."
"I won't. I've been trained not to." Miki pulled herself away from Sungyeol.

Miki started walking back to her room.

"Miki," Sungyeol called her name. "Kim Myungsoo."
"What?" Miki asked.
"Hoya said he was one of the people who went to the village. Go to him if you want to find out who slaughtered our village," Sungyeol walked to Miki. "But when you attack them you're taking me and Hoya with you."
"Fine by me." Miki replied. "Just don't get in my way."

Sungyeol watched as Miki's back turned the corner. He slightly tightened his hand into a fist. Your Highness, you'll pay for killing our family and slaughtering our village.

Miki breathed deeply to regain her composure behind a corner that would turn into the servant's sleeping corridor. She was afraid that if she wasn't calm and Muffy was still talking to Woohyun that all her plans to assassinate the King would be found out.

Miki's village was one of the few villages that used to be spies for the royal family. The village worked for the royal family for hundreds of generations. The village seemed normal and friendly, so everyone would go to the village and drink until they spilled their secrets, or let a secret or two slip out of their mouths as they talked to the villagers who were trained to make secrets slip out of the people's mouths. The entire village was loyally working for the King.

One day the village heard disturbing news about a family plotting revenge against the royal family. The King was informed, but the King laughed it off. When the village insisted that the information was true the King grew upset and started accusing the village of trying to ruin his kingdom with preposterous information. The King believed that he was the greatest and that his rule was the best, when in fact his rule was the worst in all the line of Kings. The King made ridiculous laws and nothing benefited the people, everything benefited him and the royal family. The King ordered the village be watched under the claim that their were foreign spies in the village, when in fact the spies worked for him. Since that day the village was against the King plotting a rebellion. Miki, Hoya, Sungyeol, as well as many others were placed inside the castle to spy on the royal family, and most importantly, the King. The assassination of the King was the village's main goal. The village didn't care about the rest of the royal family, they only wanted the king dead.

Miki remembered her meeting with Hoya.

FLASHBACK

Hoya grabbed Miki's wrist. "We're out in the open here, so I'll be brief. It's not safe to talk here. Sungyeol knows everything, so ask him for questions. Miki, the King destroyed our village. No one made it out alive. Be prepared to attack back soon. I'm sorry." Hoya forced himself to coldly walk away.

*No, no, no, no, no. This can't be. Mom, Dad you can't be dead.* Miki thoght to herself. Miki felt her knees give out. She landed on the floor. Miki tried to stop the tears, but they wouldn't stop. *This can't be happening.*

As if confirming the whole thing was true, Sungyeol ran up to Miki hugging her. Miki cried harder knowing that everything Hoya said was true now that Sungyeol was holding her in his arms.

Sungyeol did everything that he could to make Miki smile, so make the pain go away, but he knew the pain wouldn't stop since the pain in his heart wouldn't stop either. Sungyeol faced Miki towards the window and hummed and old lullaby that their mother used to hum to them, so that she wouldn't see his tears.

"Miki, Hoya and I will always be here for you. Tonight just cry all you want because tomorrow we can't cry anymore." Sungyeol whispered into Miki's ear.

Miki gave a nod that was barely visible. Sungyeol smiled an led Miki away to somewhere more private, although he knew that there wasn't anywhere private in the castle.

END FLASHBACK

 

Woohyun looked around the hallway making sure no one was around once Miki had walked away. He held Muffy's hand and pulled her further away from the servant's rooms so they wouldn't be heard. He found one quiet corner and hugged Muffy.

"Are you okay? I was worried about you." Woohyun asked talking as silently as he could.
"I'm okay. You don't need to worry your highness." Muffy said, the tone of her voice was cold, she was doing that on purpose, wanting to distant herself from Woohyun.

Woohyun stared at her for a moment. "Muffy, you don't need to call me 'your highness' when we are together like this. Just please call me Woohyun, like you usually do." he said.
Muffy looked away from Woohyun, trying to avoid his eyes. "I am a servant, I should call you your highness." she said.

"Muffy, why are you suddenly like this?" Woohyun cried out silently taking her hands in his. "Is there something I did wrong?"
"No your highness." Muffy replied coldly. She hated to be acting like this towards Woohyun, whom she still loved so much.

Woohyun looked at Muffy feeling really frustrated with the way she was suddenly acting. "Please tell me what is wrong so I can fix it? If there is something wrong I did, I am really sorry. If there is something in the palace that is making you uncomfortable, I will make sure that will be fixed. " he said.
He bent down a bit and planted a soft kiss on her cheek. "Please.."

Muffy looked up at Woohyun. "Don't be like this your highness. It is not proper for us to be together like this." she said.

Woohyun's face fell and he looked at her with a dark expression on his face. "Did you really... mean that you want us to stop?" he asked.

"Yes." Muffy said. "And why did you come to meet me just now? I don't think it was just because you were worried.. you just wanted me for your companion for the night like you always do. I don't believe your feelings towards me are that sincere." Muffy said, knowing her words will hurt Woohyun.
"What?" Woohyun stared at her. "But I - I've never really cared about anyone like this-- how can you say that --"

"If you will excuse me, I should be sleeping right now. I must wake up early tomorrow. Good night your highness." Muffy bowed and limped away from him.

"Muffy your leg!" Woohyun exclaimed running after her.
Muffy stopped and turned to look at him. "Like I told you, I am fine. You should go sleep also. And you shouldn't yell like that, people might hear you." she said.
"But-" Woohyun bit his lip.
Just then they saw Miki walking down the hallway. She wasn't sleeping? Where was she? Muffy frowned seeing her friend.

Muffy turned to Woohyun one more time and bowed. Woohyun just sadly stared how she limped back to her bedroom and closed the door.
Aishh... this!! She can't be serious! Woohyun hit the wall in frustration and sadness once he was all alone.

Inside the bedroom Muffy stared at Miki who was walking to her bed. Something seemed a bit strange about Miki. Her expression wasn't the normal one Miki had on her face.

"Everything alright Miki?" Muffy asked as she sat down on her bed.
"Mhm.. i'm just tired. Let's sleep." Miki said shortly, not wanting Muffy to notice the sadness in her voice.
"Alright then. Good night." Muffy said and pulled the covers up herself.
"Night." Miki said.

Both of the girls went to sleep with a heavy heart. Miki, thinking about her village and Muffy, feeling horrible to be acting to Woohyun like this and about her family's plan.

If my family is to kill the royal family, is there going to be any way to save Woohyun? Muffy pondered worried.

 

The next morning Miki and Muffy went to clean the castle like normal. Despite Muffy being ordered to rest for the next week by Woohyun, she continued to work like normal since she knew that the King wouldn't be pleased if she stayed to rest and she didn't want to get on his bad side for now. Muffy also went to work because she knew Woohyun would try to talk to her more if she was alone in the servant's quarters.

Muffy, Sungjong, and Miki were cleaning the dinning room along with a few other servants. Sunggyu, Hoya, Myungsoo, and another guard came inside to check the place for anything unnatural. The King was on edge since the attack the night before.

After checking the room the guards stood at their post to make sure nothing happened. Miki spotted Hoya. She noticed his eyes were a bit puffy and red.

Hoya cried too after that. He always pretends to be strong, but he has a big heart.

Myungsoo's broken heart tore into smaller pieces as he watched Miki look at Hoya. He wanted to crawl up into a hole and never come out.

Muffy spotted Myungsoo next to Hoya. She noticed Miki staring at Hoya, but mistaken it as staring at Myungsoo.

Even if I can't be with Woohyun, Myungsoo can be with Miki. She's not part of the royal family. After the battle is over he can be with her.

"Miki," Muffy called her and limped over. "I can you help me- ah!!!" Muffy pretended to trip over her injured leg. Muffy threw the rag she had in her hand by Myungsoo's feet.
"Are you okay?" Sungjong who was closer to Muffy helped her up.
"I'm fine. Miki can you grab the rag?" Muffy asked.

Miki walked over to grab the rag. She reached for the rag the came time as Myungsoo. Their heads collided with each other.

"Owie~!!" Miki held her head. She looked up at the person she banged heads with and her heart fluttered. It's him~!! The guard who saved my live, with the soul-searching stare. He looks cute when he's not so serious.

"Ouch!" Myungsoo held his head. He looked at the person he collided with. Myungsoo's heart began running like crazy. "Sorry!" Myungsoo quickly stood up in panic. No, I hurt her. "Are you okay?" Myungsoo held his hand out trying to stay calm.
Miki grabbed his hand and stood up. "No, sir. I'm a bit dizzy."

Hoya and the other guards chuckled a little with Miki's all too honest response. Muffy smiled at Myungsoo and Miki's conversation. They were a bit too far away for Muffy to hear, but since the guards were laughing she figured they were happy. She also saw them hit heads, which she was going to tease Miki and Myungsoo about later.

"Umm..." Myungsoo didn't know what to do or say. It was his first actual conversation with Miki, plus his just banged heads with her. "Here." Myungsoo picked up the rag. "Ummm... sorry." He scratched his head.
"It's okay sir." Miki bowed and turned to go but remembered something and turned around. "Oh, by the way thank you for saving me yesterday... Umm Sir Myungsoo was it?"

Myungsoo nodded. Miki smiled, bowing before returning to work.

Sir Myungsoo, he's so cute in the light. Last night he was all cool looking in the dark when he saved me. And that smile he gave me was so charming. Miki smiled to herself as she walked back to Muffy. Wait Myungsoo, Myungsoo. Where have I heard that Name before? Miki remembered Sungyeol's words. Kim Myungsoo. No way? He can't be the Myungsoo that Sungyeol was talking about. There's no way. Sir Myungsoo was a guard and the Myungsoo that Sungyeol was talking about was a... guard... No way. He can't be the one. There must be more than one Myungsoo in the guard. I'll go ask Hoya later. Sir Myungsoo can't be the Kim Myungsoo who helped kill my village right? Miki was disturbed by this thought.

"Miki~!!" Muffy limped over to Miki. "So I saw the guards laughing. What happened? Anything juicy? I mean they are cute." She interrogated.

 

Miki glanced at Muffy. "What do you mean juicy? Our heads just collided." Miki said.
"But... something juicy can come out of head's colliding too." Muffy said glancing at Myungsoo.

Miki just sighed. "Oh, speaking of juiciness. Yesterday with the prince, what did you talk about?" she asked Muffy.
"Huh? Oh.. he just thanked me again for saving me.. nothing much." Muffy said looking away.
"But you talked for quite a long time. You were still together in the hallway when I came back to our room last night." Miki said.

"Well.. he uhh... thanked me in a very time-consuming way..." Muffy said smiling awkwardly.

Miki looked at Muffy and tilted her head. Time-consuming way..? I wonder what a prince's time-consuming thanks means. Maybe they were kissing? Oh my I hope the prince didn't force Muffy to do anything with him.

"Muffy, I think you should be a bit more careful around Prince Woohyun." Miki said.
Muffy looked at Miki worried. Oh no. Does she know something?! She can't know anything! Why is she telling me to be careful with him?

"Why?" Muffy asked.
"Oh.. just... I think he has a thing for you." Miki said.
"The prince? A thing for me!?" Muffy tried to act surprised. "No way...... oh but where were you that long anyway yesterday, since you said you came back from somewhere and saw me with the prince?" she changed the subject.

"Me? Keeping company to my secret lover of course!" Miki joked. "No.. I was just walking around, the air in the room was so stuffy.. like you said yesterday when I saw you by the stairs..." she said.

"Yeah... it indeed was stuffy." Muffy said. With the corner of her eye she could see how Myungsoo was watching Miki, paying attention to her every movement.
Muffy cleared a bit. "Umm.. I just thought about it, have you ever thought about being a guard's girl?" she asked Miki.

"Not really... or kind of in a way.." Miki replied. Muffy glanced at Miki and tilted her head. What's that supposed to mean? She likes someone or not?

"Why would you ask?" Miki asked her.
Muffy shrugged and moved away from her to clean one corner.

While she was cleaning her thoughts wandered away from the love talks to the soon to happen attack. She thought about all the hallways and secret exits of the castle. She thought if it would be possible to sneak Woohyun out the castle without anyone noticing through those secret exits.

After all the servants were done cleaning the room, Muffy was just limping to the door passing Myungsoo when she felt him touch her hand lightly. Muffy glanced down and saw how Myungsoo handed her a small letter. Muffy quickly put it in her pocket and limped away.

Hoya who had been standing beside Myungsoo had noticed the letter exchanging between the two. Hoya looked at Myungsoo suspiciously but right away turned his head away when Myungsoo turned to look at him.

Muffy waited that all the other servants had walked ahead of her before reading the letter.

-
Muffy~ I just got some more information yesterday about the attack. It will happen Friday morning... all the servants and most of the guards are scheduled to go to a servants meeting outside in the village. Only a few guards and servants will stay in the castle with the royal family.

That time when most of the people are out of the castle, our family will sneak in the castle and attack. They aren't planning on making it a big attack but kill the royals when there's not many people to protect them, so we will make sure they die quite peacefully without all the servants and guards noticing anything.

On Friday, make sure that you are one of the servants who stays in with the royals. Don't go to the servant meeting but stay in the castle. I will too. We will talk more about this later though.


-

Muffy put the letter away and followed the other servants. Friday. It's all going to happen on friday. Is Woohyun going to die on friday? He can't.. what can I do?