01 - Yunji's Life

My Fat Heart Belongs to You

Summer sadly came to an end and senior year was starting. It had been the moment I was waiting for. Ever since I set foot in the gates of Woollim High, I have been salivating to get out. Freedom to go off on my own has been my dream for almost all my life. High school is a living hell as people would make fun of me for being a nerd. I wanted to get away from my father’s desperation to find a mother for me as well. “A feminine image to look up to,” my father would say.

Appa owned one of the biggest companies in Korea and had co-companies around the whole world, making him the one of the richest people in the green planet.

With his position, he landed a girlfriend—girlfriend numero veinte. Girlfriend number twenty, Rina, or I would call “the devil’s spawn,” and my father had been together for about two years, longer than the previous girlfriends he had. And I had been praying everyday that my father would not fall seriously in love with this one. I knew for sure that Rina was just a huge up to my father only for his riches. She was twenty years younger than my father. Talk about . All my father’s girlfriends were like that, mooching off for money, trying to act all innocent. Rina was a fake. Her face caked with makeup. She looked like a e. And I wondered why appa would ever fall for a woman like her, especially since mom was a lot better than that devil spawn.

My mother died from leukemia, and I was only six when she passed away. Life was miserable for years, for me that is, until appa met a new woman, and basically it became some kind of ritual for him to date one woman a year, preferably a woman like thirty years younger than him… talk about yuck.

“Speak of the devil,” I muttered under my breath as I heard a car beeping outside my window. I peeked out my window and found a pink convertible right outside our door. “Help me now, Oh God.”

I dressed in my uniform and went down the stairs. I found Rina smiling creepily at me.

“Uh, hi?” I said awkwardly, walking slowly to the kitchen as I stare at Rina’s perfect (more like surgically perfected) smile.

“Good Morning, Yunji! Since your father and I are getting married soon, we should totally bond. Do a little mother and daughter hang out,” Rina grinned. Oh right, she had this mindset that she will definitely marry my father, even if he didn’t even propose to her. Another proof why Rina is an egotistical woman and my father deserved better.

“Plus, we should have you go to a salon, make you prettier, take that stupid frames off your face,” she suggested. I hated that about her too. How she’s trying to change the way I dressed myself as a regular, normal, nerd of a student (so no one would mooch off of me, like how she mooches off my father.)

And she didn’t realize I was wearing my uniform. A pure indication I was heading to school. Proof #987654321 why my father should dump her: she was extremely stupid. 

“I’m going to school,” I replied while chewing on my bagel ready to make a dash out the door.

“Then I’ll drive you there,” she said shaking her keys at my face. Ten minute drive with the devil? No thank you.

“No thanks, I rather walk,” I fake a smile, grabbed my bag, and dashed out the door, before she could reply. 

Finally breathing fresh air, I was greeted by Mr. Lee, our driver. “Good Morning, Miss Bom, do you need a ride?”

I smiled at him. “No thank you, Mr. Lee. I’ll walk today.”

“Have a great first day of school!”

“Yes, Mr. Lee, have a nice day. Get a day off. I'm going to Jina's afterschool. I’ll just get a ride from them.”

“Thank you, Miss!” He gave me his signature salute. I laughed and made my way to school.

“Ya, Yunji!” Oh Jina, Choe Jieun, and Choe Haeun all shouted at the same time as they saw me heading to the gates.

“Jina, Jieun, Haeun!”  I grinned as I made my way towards them. The four of us had been best friends, since we moved from all girls’ middle school to Woollim High. Jina was one of the wisest girls I have ever met. She was the type that if anyone messed with anyone she loved, she would do whatever it takes to get revenge.  Jieun and Haeun are twins and their personalities are different, even if they look exactly the same, only Jieun has a birthmark shaped like a heart on her left shoulder. Jieun was the crazy, don’t-mess-with-me, I-don’t-give-a-crap, twin, while Haeun was the mellow, world-peace, don’t-hurt-that-poor-creature-or-else-I’ll-go-ape-shiz-cray-on-you, twin. The two would always bicker every day, but despite their differences, they love each other.

“First day of senior year, what can possibly go wrong?”

The minute I said those words, I wanted to take it back. As we stepped in the gates, I didn’t notice anyone in front of me, since I was too busy laughing with my friends. I immediately bumped into Han Soojin, the evil queenka of Woollim.

“I’m so sorry,” I said. Not Sorry.

Soojin looked at me from her mirror like I was some piece of trash. “Those stupid glasses of yours, you should change it. You’re obviously blind,” she retorted rolling her eyes.

“I said I was sorry,” I repeated. She probably didn’t hear me. I thought she was too busy checking herself out.

“Not forgiven. You obviously did that on purpose, nerd girl,” she said, as she looked at me. Her little friends, Seulgi, with an exception of Seoyeon, were trying to stare me down. They were trying to intimidate me. Ha.

Before I could say anything, Jina stepped in. “Listen, ,” she emphasized on the word “,” “Do something to her and I’m sure the pretty face of yours will turn into something ugly like your personality.” Jina grabbed my arm, and we walked to the office to get our schedule, leaving Soojin with open. I would be happy, if a fly went into .

You see, Han Soojin and I go way back. Her father was friends with my father, since my father is helping out her father’s company. With that, I always had to attend appa’s little company parties, and usually I dress up differently—without my glasses and a touch of makeup added. Soojin would always try to befriend me, while I fake a smile and try to shoo her away. Clearly two-faced, I think she’d go well with Rina. At school, she did not recognize me as Bom Joonho’s daughter, so she treated me like .

 “Swear that girl has problems,” Jieun said. We nodded in approval at her statement.

Before we headed to class, Seoyeon confronted me. “Hey, don’t listen to Soojin unni.”

“I won’t,” I gave her a slight smile. At least one of the three “S’s” (their so-called group name. Like what kind of a name is that? More like two s and an angelic one tagged along), was actually nice. It made me wonder how Seoyeon was the nicer sister, while Soojin got all the genes.

 


Hi you guys (: or whoever is reading this. 
Hope you like it!

Kisses to those who read this: