07 - On the Death Bed

My Fat Heart Belongs to You

 

-Woohyun’s POV-

The next school day, I didn’t find Yunji at school anywhere.
Was she sick?
Did she bail on me?
“Uh, do you guys know where Yunji is?” I bit my lip, while I ask her group of friends.

They shook their heads. “We didn’t see her today.”

“I’m worried,” the girl with the glasses said.

“Me too,” the twins said in unison.

“Did you happen to call her?” I asked.
“A million times,” one of the twins said.

Huh… even her friends don’t know where she was. Where could she be?

“Let me try calling her again,” the glasses girl said. She took her phone from her backpack and started to call. Her face lit up. Someone picked up.
“HOSPITAL?” She looked horrified.

“What happened, Mr. Bom?” She freaked out, yelling. “Allergies? We’ll be there.”

The girl hung up. She explained, “Last night, Yunji had an allergic reaction. Apparently they went to a restaurant and her father’s evil girlfriend fed her shellfish. Her airway closed, and she passed out right after. She was sent to the emergency room.”

The group had worried looks on their faces. I too was worried.

“We should go,” the glasses girl said.

“Uh…” I started.

“Jina, my name is Jina. And this is Jieun and Haeun,” she said.

“Woohyun,” I said softly.

She chuckled. “We know.”

I smiled. “When you visit Yunji and she happens to wake up, can you please tell her that I’d still do the workout things and she can start later when she feels better?”

Jina’s eyebrows lifted. “Ah. Will do.”

“Thanks,” I smiled.

She nodded, and her group left the building.
I decided to jog anyway and start. Getting a head start is a plus.

“Oppa, where are you going?” Minah asked when she saw me in sweatpants and a hoodie.

“I’m going to actually do something with my body,” I told her. She raised her brows in confusion.

“What do you mean oppa? What are you going to do to your body?” she innocently asked.

“I’m going to change my diet and workout,” I explained. “It’s time to do something about it.”

“I guess, oppa. But you’re beautiful just the way you are,” she giggled and broke out into the Bruno Mars song and One Direction, making a medley. For a six year old, I swear.

I laughed. “Thanks, Minah. I will be back in an hour.”

I jogged for a while, while listening to my iPod. I died from my house to the gates which were only ten feet away.
Wow, no wonder I was doing this, I really needed to get fit.

I panted around the nearby park, and when I got home, my whole outfit was drenched in my sweat. That was a good thing, I was actually sweating.

I was wondering what happened to Yunji the whole time jogging. I wonder how she was.
 

-Yunji’s POV-

I woke up, and found myself in an all white room. I looked around and there were tiny plants on the counter. I felt something on my forearm and it had a tube sticking in it.
Where am I?

I found appa sitting on a chair next to my bed. He was asleep on his arms.

I shook him. “Appa? Appa? Where are we?” I asked, still looking around. “Why do I have this thing?”

He looked at me with his worn out eyes. His eyes were surrounded by dark circles, and he looked a lot older the last time I saw him.

“Appa, are you okay?”

He hugged me. He was crying, and I found myself tearing up too. It reminded me the day my mother was about to die. I wasn’t dying was I?

“Appa, appa, please stop crying. Please tell me where I am,” I said while hugging him.

“Yunji-ah, I almost lost you. I almost lost you. They said it was almost too late. You were about to lose oxygen. Yunji-ah I’m so stupid. I’m sorry,” he cried. What? I almost died?

“Appa, I’m alive now. You don’t have to worry. I’m still here,” I said.

I couldn’t believe appa was crying like a baby. I haven’t seen him like this since umma died. And I didn’t like seeing him that way.

“Appa,” I whispered to assuage his cries, “Please stop crying. I’m alive and that’s all that matters.”

“I know, Yunji. But that woman… How could I not see it? I am so blind,” He cried some more.

“Appa, she’s gone now, right? Now please… I know I never told you this before,” I found myself speak. “Can we just accept that umma will never be replaced? Can you just raise me like you have for the last eleven years?”

He sighed. Then he smiled, “Of course. I’m really sorry.”

“It wasn’t your fault,” I said. I didn’t like the sad atmosphere so I smiled, “Appa, I’m craving ice cream.”

“Ice cream? You want mint chocolate chip?” Appa said. I smiled inwardly. He still remembered my favorite ice cream.

“YES!” I laughed.

“While I’m getting ice cream, your friends are coming over.” He got up and winked at me. “I’ll be right back.”

I felt alone in the room and incredibly claustrophobic. Then I remembered, Woohyun!

I searched for my phone and dialed his number.

Thankfully, he picked up. “Hello?” he said on the other line.

“Woohyun! Thank goodness you answered. I’m so sorry I couldn’t make it today,” I said.

I could hear from his voice that he was smiling. “It’s not a problem Yunji. I heard about what happened. Are you okay though?”

“I’m perfectly fine now,” I said. “But I’m kind of bored. I want to leave the hospital, but I think I’m going to be stuck here for a while.”

He laughed. “You can’t sit still, huh?”

“Nope! Every time I’m in class, I just want to hop off walls. It may look like I’m fine sitting down, but heck I need to move. And I feel depressed in here. Too quiet,” I complained. “By the way, did you start without me?”

“As the matter of fact, I did. Besides, I should get the head start here,” he said.

“Oh… I’ll start when I’m out of this hell hole.”

“I’ll visit you, okay?” he said.

“I’d like that,” I replied. I heard a knock on the door. “Hey. I got to go. I think my friends are here.”

“Bye, Yunji, get well,” he said and hung up. 

 

Why is he such a nice person, and he doesn’t have any friends?