05 - Getting to Know You

My Fat Heart Belongs to You

 

-Woohyun’s POV-

I didn’t know what to do. How to start a diet?

I was walking to Minah’s school then to the gym to ask about a plan to get these “flabs” off my stomach when I heard a voice behind me.

“Woohyun!” It was a girl’s voice.

I turned to see Yunji panting to get to me.

“Yunji?”

When she finally reached me, she held on to my shoulders, and rested for a bit.

“Wow, for a skinny girl, you get tired easily, huh?” I teased.

She shot me a glare. “Being skinny doesn’t mean I’m fit.”

“Right,” I chuckled at her tired figure. “Anyways, what brings you here? And aren’t you concerned that people might see us together again?”

“Was that why you keep running away from me at school? Gee, I thought I was some kind of monster or something,” She said.

I scratched the back of my neck. “Sorry?”

She smiled, “Forgiven. Anyways, I would tell you something, but then I’d have to kill you.”

“That sounded a bit suspicious. What is this something?”

“Well…” she hesitated to tell me but continued, “Okay so I need you to do a favor for me.”

“As in?”

“You want to train with me?” She looked at me with her pleading eyes.

“Training? Training for what?” I asked.

“You know… like exercising? I mean I need to pass for the fitness test for spring and we have, I don’t know, five months,” she rambled. I could tell she was nervous with the way she’s looking at the ground.

“Are you doing this for you? Or are you doing this for me?” I raised my brow.         

“Uh, well, hehe, maybe both?” she still stared at the ground.

“Please?” this time she looked at me with her doe-like eyes. It was hard to say no. I mean it’d be fun to have a running/exercising buddy. And to top all that, maybe when I get skinny, Seoyeon would actually notice me.

I stared at her and then my stomach. “Well it’s about time this thing should be gone,” I patted the snorlax tummy of mine.

“Jinjja?!” Her eyes sparkled.

“Yes,” I chuckled at her. She looked immensely cute. And I wondered what she looked like without her frames.

Yunji threw her fist up in victory. “When do we start?” she asked.

“Tomorrow, maybe?”

“Tomorrow, it is,” she smiled. “Let’s meet at the local gym after school. Yeah?”

I nodded.

“Alright then… So, where are you going?” she asked as she walked beside me.

“Minah’s school,” I answered. I decided not to go to the gym anymore because of Yunji.

She looked at me. “Minah? Who’s Minah? If you’re one of the rich Nams, how come you don’t have a car to drive you around?”

Wow this girl is curious. Questions were flying everywhere. “Minah is my little sister. And to answer your question, I’ve wanted to walk to and from school to at least lose a few pounds here and there. Then you came along with your fitness plans, so you’re like the angel sent from above,” I smiled.

“May I come with you? I’m kind of bored,” she surprisingly asked.

“Sure thing, I’m sure Minah would love you.”

We talked while we walked to Minah’s school. I learned many things about her. Like how she’s in love with Boyfriend and her favorite was Hyunseong. And I learned that she rambled a lot. She was one talkative girl.

“Say, how come I never seen you around school before?” I asked.

“Let’s say I’m the nerd wallflower along with my friends. And I hide in the library with them usually, since I don’t want to run into Soojin and her friends,” she grimaced.

“Soojin? What does Soojin do to you?”

“Make fun of me for being a nerd, you know the basics,” she chuckled nervously.           

“Wow, even she makes fun of you,” I frowned. “She makes fun of me too.”

“I swear… that girl has problems,” she shook her head. For a girl with such pretty face, her personality was beyond ugly. I didn’t like that, which is why Seoyeon is for me.      

I grinned at the thought of Seoyeon.

“What are you smiling about?” she asked.   

“Nothing,” I shyly responded looking at the ground.

“I know that smile.” A creepy-pedo smile was forming on her face. “You like someone don’t you?”

Yunji started to poke my arm and kept repeating, “Tell Me.” Until, she broke out into the wonder girl’s song. Her singing voice was actually perfect. I wonder if she ever sang in front of anyone.

“Your voice… you can sing,” I pointed out.

She guffawed.  “Nah, I wish,” she blew a raspberry.

“I’m serious. You can actually sing,” I repeated.

“Whatever,” she said flatly. Even if I had no experience with girls my age whatsoever, I know if a girl says “whatever,” it meant she was mad, or change that subject, because she’s denying.

“Ah, we’re here,” I said, when we stepped in the premises of Minah’s elementary school.

“OPPA!” Minah ran into my arms. “Oppa, you came to pick me up.”

“Of course, I would,” I petted her.

Minah broke away from the hug and noticed Yunji standing awkwardly next to me.

“Woohyun oppa, who is she? Is she you’re girlfriend?” she teased.

"Hi, Oppa's girlfriend, I'm Nam Minah," she waved.

“You’re six and you already know about boyfriend and girlfriend?” I questioned her.

“Yes, oppa! In fact, I have seven,” she joked. Yunji giggled.

“Funny, Minah, very funny. And this is my new friend, Bom Yunji,” I introduced.

“She’s not you’re girlfriend?” Minah frowned. “Oppa, she’s pretty!”

Yunji’s face turned tomato and bent down to condescend. “Hi, Minah, I’m Yunji. You can call me unni if you want.”

Minah surprised her with a hug that caused Yunji to make an “oof” sound

“Minah, she can’t breathe,” I said, trying to pry her off Yunij.

Minah finally broke off the hug and said, “Oppa, promise me she’s going to be my sister-in-law!”

It was my turn to redden.

“Ya, Minah, where do you learn these things?” I rubbed my temples and trying to hide my face.

“People, places, everywhere,” she said vaguely.

Yunji saved me from embarrassment and asked Minah, “Do you want some ice cream? I'm kind of craving. I'll pay.”

“Ice cream?” Minah shrieked. “I WANT ICE CREAM!”

Yunji chuckled. “Woohyun, let’s get some ice cream?”

Minah kept pulling my pants lightly. “Oppa please?”

“Araso, we’ll get some ice cream,” I grinned.